Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4 gen mag release

M-Bear

I have been thinking about it for the left handed mag release option. I would have to relearn my reloads and replace a bunch of mags, but it just might be worth it. The final decision will probably come down to availability through my department for gen4 duty guns.

• 4 weeks later...

Not as far as I know. What do you hate about it?

Yes it has much more surface area. But it doesn't stick out far enough at all. Adding anything to it to make it stick out further would disqualify me from Production until Glock comes out with their own aftermarket release like they did for previous gen's. My Gen 1 extended release works MUCH better. I'd go back to the Gen 1 if the grip weren't so small.

• 2 weeks later...

Not as far as I know. What do you hate about it?

(sorry for late reply) The Gen4 mag release button is difficult for me to press effectively without changing my grip. BTW I have pretty large hands and long fingers.

This is due to the shape of the button, in the front it sticks out but in the back its flush with the grip, therefore I need to press the very front of the button. I guess this feature is supposed to prevent accidental mag drops... but I hate it :D

Edited by marcin c

I've heard a lot of complaints about the Gen 4 mag release. Apparently even if you flip the gun in your hand to hit the button, it's still harder to actuate than the old extended Gen 3 version.

...and I'm the opposite. I think it is fantastic. I'm left-handed, so I'm used to having to flip the gun to do anything. When I reverse the mag catch, I don't have to change my grip at all---I just drop my thumb, and there it is. Yet at the same time, there is no chance I'm going to accidentally hit it when I don't mean to do so.

The new mag catch isn't wider to make it easier to actuate, by the way. It is wider so it fills the hole in the frame made necessary by the ambi mag catch. (Not joking, either. Joel Hodges [teacher for Glock Armorer classes] went off about that for awhile.)

It'll be interesting to see if they make a bigger version to "make things easier" for people. As it is, though, I find it to be just about perfect for my hands.

It'll be interesting to see how much my reloads speed up when I no longer have to completely adjust the gun in my hand to drop a magazine. :)

I note this isn't just a "left-hand" thing---when I use a Gen 4 G17 right-handed, that mag release is perfect. Love it!

Is it better then the non-extended Gen3 version. The longer Gen3 is too long and the shorter one is too short. I was hoping the Gen 4 version was the perfect middle ground. Because of the position of the release on the Glock your probably going to have to shift your hand. But even when I shift my hand I find the short version to be to hard to depress at times.

Is it better then the non-extended Gen3 version. The longer Gen3 is too long and the shorter one is too short. I was hoping the Gen 4 version was the perfect middle ground. Because of the position of the release on the Glock your probably going to have to shift your hand. But even when I shift my hand I find the short version to be to hard to depress at times.

Being a left-hander, the long/short didn't really make THAT much difference--I shoot a 34 in USPSA, and a 19 elsewhere. Haven't really had any differing levels of problems either way. But again, as a lefty, I have to flip the gun slightly no matter what.

In case you aren't a lefty and don't care about us poor, benighted folk----when I shoot right-handed, I like the extended release on the full size ones (17, 34) and the regular sized one for the 19 and the 26. Slightly different hand placement means a difference while shooting, and a difference in reach. Extended on a 19 or 26 eats my hand---just shreds it. Short on the 34 and 17 works just fine, but I'm faster with the extended one on those.

The Gen 4 release is fantastic, comparatively. (Other than the fact that now I have to buy a bunch more magazines again....I like to have enough to run the entire match without reloading. I hate reloading mags during the match. :) )

I bought a Gen 4 G22 the other day as a new duty weapon. I shoot a 34 in USPSA and am really used to the extended mag release on it. So far I'm pleased with the Gen 4 mag release. It does extend farther than the Gen 3 and has the different shape which I actually like. I have to flip the gun in my hand no matter what I shoot so I'm really used to it. What I really like about the new mag release is that it's not too extended. I've messed around with extended mag releases on my previous duty gun only to have the mag popping out accidentally from the constant shifting around and in and out of the car. So far so good.

I have just got a Gen 4 17 in January and I like the new mag release better than the old extended one which used to bite me occasionally, usually when I used a hotter .40 load and I did not get the best grip.

The new one does not bite at all and it is slightly easier for me to work than the older style extended release

The older stock version (not extended) was almost unusable for me.