Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

case pro - how to best capture sized cartridges?

I did not know you could case pro bottle necked rifle brass.

just curious...is that once fired military brass?

I am just wondering does case pro'ing rifle brass make it last any longer.

I have heard that with military brass you have to be careful about what has been shot through a M249 SAW because the chambers are looser and that makes the brass have a case head seperation sooner.

do you still have to trim case pro'ed rifle brass?

thanks!

(@ jared, that's an awesome set up you got there on your bench both in the foreground and the background)

I did not know you could case pro bottle necked rifle brass.

just curious...is that once fired military brass?

I am just wondering does case pro'ing rifle brass make it last any longer.

I have heard that with military brass you have to be careful about what has been shot through a M249 SAW because the chambers are looser and that makes the brass have a case head seperation sooner.

do you still have to trim case pro'ed rifle brass?

thanks!

(@ jared, that's an awesome set up you got there on your bench both in the foreground and the background)

Where are you seeing rifle brass?

@ merlin, on page 1 jaredr has post #5 with two pics posted. the bottom pic shows his sheet metal/roof flashing chute meant to direct the falling brass into a bucket. in that chute it looks like to me is .223 brass.

hi merlin, photo I'd originally posted above shows a bunch of .223 in the output chute (pic is in my post alll the way at the top). I did not have a .223 rollsizing die, so shimmed out my 9mm die by .015 and had a case-feed bar fabricated to feed them.

Chills - have not done any research to determine whether roll-sizing extends the useful life of rifle brass. Have read from others on this forum that roll-sizing does extend the useful life of oipen gun .38 super brass by "reconditioning" (i.e. tightening up) the primer pocket which would have otherwise become too loose to hold the primer after repeated firings.

FWIW, I'm roll-sizing rifle brass strictly to improve reliability. I went through the tedious task of case-gauging about 1000 full-length resized (but NOT roll-sized) cartridges to test the configuration of my case prep toolhead. What I found was that the only failures I had were all at the cartridge rim where it appears that the extractor had yanked a bit of the cartridge rim out of spec (or a combination of chamber pressure and a loose boltface tolerance had allowed the case head to expand just a thousandth or two beyond the Wilson gauge I was using). When I roll-sized all of these cartridges, they then passed the gauge without a problem.

Re: M249 cartridges, I have read the same advise (avoid them if possible). For better or worse, I really don't know what weapon fired most of the brass I get as once-fired so I just inspect them and discard anything that looks damaged.

Re: trimming – yes, you have to trim brass (or at least roll-sizing does not remove any need to trim brass). I have an RT1200 trimmer on my brass prep toolhead and run everything through the trim station after full-length resizing. If the brass has grown long enough to extend beyond the SAMMI trim-to spec (to which I have adjusted my trimmer) then it gets cut down. If not, then it just passes through the trim-station unaffected on it's way to the output chute.

@ jaredr, I am assuming you put your 1200 trimmer on your 1050.

do you run the handle on your 1050 by hand when set up for trimming?

or do you let the P-W autodrive run the press?

I had started a thread about a week ago in the Dillon reloading subforum asking if the 1200 trimmer could cut fast enough to keep up with the P-W autodrive.

case trimming by hand is just so excruciatingly mind numbing.

I think I'd rather go watch paint dry.

Brad,

The 900 rounds per hour gear drive for the P/W system works great for automated case processing, including the trimming with the RT1200 unit. You are correct when you state it is a mind numbing task... :goof:

Jared, that is a great idea on the shim and rim sizer....I love this place!

DougC

It also cleans up the rim and extractor grove where the extractor and ejector ding the cases. If you case gauge you will shortly come to realize almost all of the rounds that don't go have a problem with the rim and this is the cure.

I love my Case Pro and Mike has been great to work with. It does take some time for him to deliver the product but as I understand it, this is a part time venture for him. He has another full time business that takes up most of his time. Its worth the wait.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone that is on the list for the casepro's heard when Mike thinks he might have them done?

I contacted Mike about one Sept 20th. He called me to get my payment info yesterday and he said it would be shipped out this week.

Ryan

He said he had order from last year January to fill....it depend on the caliber(s) chosen and if guy's above you cannot have the fund right now....they get skip over until me :roflol:

Well I'm pretty happy since I already have the power drive and the case feeder for it......