Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.7 x 28

Gio5728

Greetings everyone,

I'm brand new on this forum, however, I've been involved with IPSC since the 90's and have enjoyed the competition and the connection found within the sport. I have been away from the sport for a couple of years now and during that time have moved to my current Destination, Destin, Florida. I am searching for a location close to my new home town so I can start enjoying the sport again. If anyone knows of a location in Northwest Florida for IPSC, please let me know. In the mean time, I was thinking of starting a group that will be able to shoot with a 5.7 x 28mm round. I've seen a few competitions based on the IPSC layout and shot with the FN 57.28 pistol. I would like to see how my new pistol will fair during a competitive event. Has anyone thought of using the cal for a special event, or is it that they aren't that prevalent yet?

Thanks for your response in advance...

gio@ArtKnifeGallery.com

There would have to be some kind or real or perceived advantage for enough people to want to use one and then try to get the rules in various sports changed to allow them, What kinda power factor does that gun build 80? so an underpowered, limited availability, hard to reload, little to no component availabilty, expensive round that is only available in one or two platforms ? I just dont see it going anywhere, As far as sport shooting goes what can it do a rimfire cant at a fraction of the cost ?

• 1 month later...

They don't knock steel down worth a crap, so it would have to be a paper match. When you think about the bullet weight and velocity it's a .22 magnum.

From What I remember they're also hard on steel as they go 2600+ ft/s

According to FN's specs they only push a 40gr bullet just past 2,000 fps. The one I watched trying to knock down steel didn't hurt it at all.

Maybe I'm thinking of the actual AP round :roflol:

Edited by DocMedic

• 2 weeks later...

What's the point?

Shoot .22 rimfire in steel matches if you want to throw underpowered rounds downrange (you could probably use a .22 magnum with the same ballistics as the 5.7 in any case.) I have shot the 5.7, and it is neat, but I see no real purpose other than shooting through body armor. ...and that's what rifles are for.

Just too damn expensive to buy ammo, in enuf quantity to actually practice. Just too dam tough to reload, as there are no suppliers of bullets, and you would have to trim the cases (UUGGGHHH!!! i HATE trimming).