Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer not HEARING rimfires?

wksinatl

We seem to be having some trouble at out local Steel Challenge matches. The handgun .22's seem to be loud enough to register. However...the rifles (most are either 10/22's or AR22's) are not loud enough for the timer. We have used different timers of different manufactures adjusted to the max.

The RO does everything but strap the timer to the muzzle. He tries to hold it on the ejection side as close as he can without distracting the shooter. I have shot 3 strings in a row with my AR22 and and FINALLY on the fourth run it registered.

Is there anything we can do to have it work more consistently? I even thought of putting a brake on it just to make it (possibly/hopefully) louder. Do you guys any certain position or technique for this?

thanks to all,

Keith

Which timer??

WO knowing this is all I can offer

hold the pickup towards the muzzle

keep the pickup free of obstructions

OOPS just see where you already did that..........

Increase the sensitivity on the timer..............

Edited by johnhurd

Which timer??

WO knowing this is all I can offer

hold the pickup towards the muzzle

keep the pickup free of obstructions

OOPS just see where you already did that..........

Increase the sensitivity on the timer..............

John,

There are Pocket Pros timers at each stage. My Pocket Pro II timer works no better. One of the other shooters has a CED and it also didn't help.

All of them are cranked up to the max level. All timers are "pointed" so the pickup mic is toward the shooter. I (and most guys) are shooting the Hi Velocity ammo so it's not like we are shooting a slower, more quiet round.

thanks,

Keith

we very rarely have a problem. most of the time the RO has the timer pointed with the pick up Mick pointed the wrong way - Or the worst is with a finger over or near the pick -up hole. the hole for the pick up Mick is not the same hole as the buzzer speaker. I can make all or our timers work with clapping my hands. A trick that is close to fail prov is to use the clip and mount the timer on a clip board, hold it up and tilted down to the shooter at a 45 deg angle.

Sensitivity adjustment can be deceiving= after you adjust it set the timer flat face up on a table and clap your hands rapidly over it = it should pick up every split. I have my timers set the same for center fire or rim fire. we have an older Pact IV , two older competition Electron incs pro IV all three from 1992-93

a new Ced 8000 that is only five years old and one of the small ced timers. and a ced 6000 that we don't use much

On the CED8000 the horn has a big opening , But the pick up is the small opening under the screen = so open the screen all the way flat

the com .Elec. IV has a big horn opening and a separate pickup hole.

Check your timers with tape over the hole and you will thin know for sure what opening to keep clear for the pick -up.

It all most always guys set in how they hold the timer. "This Is how I ALWAYS hold the thing and it has worked for years"!!!

We use Pocket Pros and have one Pocket Pro II and usually don't have a problem. There was once a rifle we could not pick up on - a 10/22 rifle with a steel heavy barrel and it was just too quiet. Other than that, we shoot 25-30 rimfires per month, mostly 10/22 for rifles and Mark I/II/III - Buckmarks for pistols without an issue.

One thing on the position, hold the mic as close to the ejection port as possible. We usually hold it at a 4 or 5:00 position just at the ejection port (especially for rifles) and that usually does the trick.

The sensitivity adjustment did work better on the PP II than then standard versions but still the position is key.

Good luck!

would you have the possibility of shooting over the top of a small table of some sort. I use my CED for airsoft timing and ihave an old 3-4 ft high dvd rack i lay it on (its about a foot or so below the barrel of the gun) and with the sensitivity up pretty high it reads every shot. just a thought

What I did with a CED 7000 that seemed to work well was to 1) Set it to a higher sensitivity and 2) I have large hands and I held it so that I could cup my hand a bit around the Microphone so that it acted as a parabolic sound gatherer. Several other people could not get it to hear a 10/22 going off even when they held it very close, but when I held it that way it worked like a champ.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the replies.

We tried different ways to hold the timer. We have found that holding it level with the ejection port and about 3 feet away from it seems to work 100%.

We WERE trying to keep it as close to the EP as possible. Not sure if the blast is heard better out farther or it is picking up some of the muzzle noise too???

Since trying this technique we have had no problems with the timers.

Keith

Edited by wksinatl

• 2 weeks later...

I had that issue with my my Rem 597 in big matches. One thing that helped was adding a multhole compensator/muzzlebrake on the end of the barrel. If you look up info on them you will see lots of info on people saying the guns get much louder to the side with a multi-hole comp. Also at some matches we found the best place to hold the timer was over the shooter's head pointed downrange.

I had that issue with my my Rem 597 in big matches. One thing that helped was adding a multhole compensator/muzzlebrake on the end of the barrel. If you look up info on them you will see lots of info on people saying the guns get much louder to the side with a multi-hole comp. Also at some matches we found the best place to hold the timer was over the shooter's head pointed downrange.

I have a TS 2211 comp on the way from Matt Burkett for just this reason. I have read several of your posts and got some good info from them prompting me to try this.

thanks,

Keith

I have a TS 2211 comp on the way from Matt Burkett for just this reason. I have read several of your posts and got some good info from them prompting me to try this.

thanks,

Keith

Yeah I do a lot of experimentation. I should do more shooting.