Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable VS. Fixed Rear sight?

ck1

About to pick up a new gun and have been trying to figure out if I should go with an adjustable or fixed rear sight?

I tend to lean towards the fixed as it's one less thing that could possibly fail, and many of the sights I'm used to are available for a Novak-cut (Warren/Sevigny's, Heinie's, etc.). When it comes to the Bo-Mar adjustables I see no real apparent advantage, in fact, by today's standards the notch-widths are real tight and narrow, so what am I missing?

The Bo-Mar's are obviously quite popular on the guns we use in our gun games so there's got to be something to that, but at this point in time does that have more to do with tradition than function?

Seems just about everyone I know who runs the adjustable Bo-Mar-type ends up just turning them into a 'fixed" anyhow by hitting them with loctite once they're dialed-in, so again, what am I missing?

TIA.

Edited by ck1

Hello: If you are using alot of different types of bullets and loads the Bo-mar type is nice to have. You can always open up the notch. I use both types. The Glock uses a Warren rear sight and the STI's use a Bo-mar type. I had a Kimber 1911 that had a fixed rear sight that I put a Novak adjustable on. It was much better after that. It is also easier to sell a pistol with a Bo-mar type rear sight. Thanks, Eric

I too dont get the adjustable sights fascination, SOmehow people think they are more accurate, once you get them zeroed you pretty much never mess with them until they break, A good durable Novak or Hienie rear is the way to go, be advised though you may end up having to change the front sight to a different height.

I too dont get the adjustable sights fascination, SOmehow people think they are more accurate, once you get them zeroed you pretty much never mess with them until they break, A good durable Novak or Hienie rear is the way to go, be advised though you may end up having to change the front sight to a different height.

None of my guns have had POA=POI with the sight picture I want out of the box with my loads. For me it's easier to adjust a rear sight than to find the exact front sight height.

I actually don't know anybody that has fixed their adjustable in place... I did just order one of Tripp's new rear sights that shouldn't be prone to the breakage you can get with Bomar style sights...it's going on a SS gun, and if I like it, I'll put them on the other SS and Limited guns before long. R,

Until you change your load and the POI moves.

Hmmm.. Lessee - I change my load and need to get my POA and POI lined up - which is easier - changing the front sight or turning a screw a couple of clicks?

Edited by bbbean

Dont change your load, My gun is zeroed to 180 gr major, 155's at minor hit in almost the same spot, not enough to change the sights, Yes adjustables are easier to adjust but most get adjusted and never move again. A good quality fixed will be more dependable in the long run. When was the last time you saw a WTB classified add for a part for a Novak or Hienie fixed sight ?

I will never ever, ever, ever, ever have fixed sights on a gun. If it comes with fixed I will install adjust. before I even fire it. I actually had a guy tell me it was "Me", when my new XD .45 had to be aimed at the right shoulder to hit center mass at 25 yards, because they are zero'ed at the factory. Really, that's a 2.5 inch group dude. Anyway to each there own, shoot what YOU are comfortable with but adjustable do make life so much easier.