Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris XTR vs TAC30

nheiny13

I used a 1.5-6 XTR for almost all of 2009 and 2010 and I have also used a 1-4 and some of the higher mag XTR scopes. I received one of the first 1-4 TAC30 scopes and played with it quite a bit, shooting one large 3 gun match with it. It really depends on what you want to do with the various scopes. Comparing the 1-4s for 3-gun, with max range of 400 yards, I think the TAC30 is a better option. The illumination is brighter, the reticle is less cluttered, and I think faster.

However, if you are planning on putting one on top of your long range bolt gun for shooting out to say 800 yards or more, then I would give the nod to the XTR line.

I am probably just being a little anal about this, but for the XTR owners out there, specifically the 1-4x... I just picked up a 1-4x and mounted it on my AR to try out. When switching from 4x downward in magnification, do you notice what almost feels like a light detent disengaging in the adjustment knob?

Thanks Mark. I will drop a line to Burris and see what their response is. This "dentent-like" bump is only as you just come off of 4x. Once off of four, the adjustment ring is smooth. I can even feel this "detent" snap in when going to 4x. If I rapidly transition the magnification, I don't even notice it. But a slow/deliberate transition reveals this "detent".

Anyway, sorry all for the digression, no more "whining" from me... for now at least. ;)

Is the reticle on the Tac30 larger than the one in the XTR ? It looks more like a nice large donut reticle but like most of the reticles I have used they look great on paper but have been a bit small in reality .

Thanks . I was gonna try and make the New Years day 3-gun but late night revelry precluded me from dragging my sorry butt out of bed before 10 ;)

You shooting any of the fun matches in Nampa or Emmett ? My gear for the Para is slowly showing up and I got the 550 setup and rolling at my place .