Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Member From Kansas

Dryden

Just wanted to say hi and quickly introduce myself. I'm a 40ish father of two who is rediscovering his love for shooting. I grew up on the east coast in very anti-gun locations and didn't touch a gun until I was 19. I've played competitive ice hockey for most of my life, only stopping after a series of back injuries and back surgery made it impossible to continue. It seems like shooting may fill the void! I managed to scrape together enough money for a Springfield 1911 and some Lee reloading gear and am looking forward to improving my shooting skills and getting involved in a few matches.

I've already started reviewing the forum posts and there's quite a bit of useful information out there so I'll start by saying thanks to all of you who actively participate and help new guys like me!

-Dryden

Welcome! I am a relatively new member to THESE forums as well and have already found TONS of useful information.

Good choice getting set up for reloading early on. I have seen alot of guys bust the bank on a really nice gun (which is great), but then they can't afford to shoot it! They eventually get burned out since they don't have the money for range time and give up this great sport of shooting. Although reloading equipment might not always be what we WANT to spend our money on, it ends up saving us in the end since we can shoot more, and the more shooting we can do, the more enthusiastic we will stay!

-Erik

Where are you located in Kansas? We have several clubs in the Kansas City Metro Area that would be worth your time to visit. I am certain if you are located in other areas our members here will give you some helpful suggestions to come out and play.

James

Edited by james57

What part of Kansas are you in? Capital City Practical shooters and Mill Creek are two of the best places to shoot that I've been to so far on the Kansas side. We all look forward to seeing you out at the range. Sounds like you'll be shooting single stack which should be fun and maybe I'll join you in that division at some point but I'm still loving Limited. Welcome.

Where are you located in Kansas? We have several clubs in the Kansas City Metro Area that would be worth your time to visit. I am certain if you are located in other areas our members here will give you some helpful suggestions to come out and play.

James

I'm in Olathe too. Do you recommend the Bullet Hole Practical Shooting Club for a newbie? I'm a member of the range but have never been there for a USPSA event.

What part of Kansas are you in? Capital City Practical shooters and Mill Creek are two of the best places to shoot that I've been to so far on the Kansas side. We all look forward to seeing you out at the range. Sounds like you'll be shooting single stack which should be fun and maybe I'll join you in that division at some point but I'm still loving Limited. Welcome.

Thanks! I occasionally use the Bullet Hole range and the Missouri Dept. of Conservation ranges and also shoot with my boss at Pioneer Gun Club's outdoor range south of Bates City. I know members at Mill Creek but haven't been out there yet.

I'm glad to see that some of the forum members are local to KC. I look forward to getting out to meet you guys soon.

Welcome to the forums! KC has quite a bit of shooting..

I shoot at Mill Creek, Topeka and am a member at Pioneer. Mill creek and Topeka (capital city practical shooters) both would be a good place for a new guy/gal. They will both probably have matches next month depending on weather.

I dont shoot Bullet hole because of a part time job, but Im sure it would be a good place to start also.

There is also an IDPA club that shoots in St. Joe on the 1st and 3rd tuesdays that I go to. Its indoors and we usually get through 6 stages. NWMODPC.com is the website, and it would also be a good place to start.

Like DWFan I haven't shot the Bullet Hole matches because of when they are. Can't really get away from responsibilities. All the rest are great and yep...the forums are full of many folks from the KC area. I won't be back out and shooting matches until the weather warms up personally and I get my reloading stuff done. Trying to load enough ammo for all of next year which is taking a while.

If you live in Olathe and can come out to shoot on a Friday night, the Bullethole club is a good place to jump in.

* They pretty much meet every Friday. (except for holidays)

* There are more newer shooters there than at the outdoor matches.

* Because of the way the range is configured, the match is structured to allow people to come in when they get off work, drop the kids off at whatever activity they are going to, or whatever else you need to do before coming to shoot.

* the outdoor matches at Millcreek and Capital City have a more structured start times as they shoot more stages and need to squad up to get all the shooting done in a reasonable amount of time.

As a new guy, you will want to be in the basement of the Bullethole by 6 to ensure that you can complete the safety orientation. You may want to contact the current club officers via their website to let them know of your interest.

Next Bullethole match... Friday 1/7

Next Millcreek match ... Saturday 1/8

If you live in Olathe and can come out to shoot on a Friday night, the Bullethole club is a good place to jump in.

* Because of the way the range is configured, the match is structured to allow people to come in when they get off work, drop the kids off at whatever activity they are going to, or whatever else you need to do before coming to shoot.

* the outdoor matches at Millcreek and Capital City have a more structured start times as they shoot more stages and need to squad up to get all the shooting done in a reasonable amount of time.

As a new guy, you will want to be in the basement of the Bullethole by 6 to ensure that you can complete the safety orientation. You may want to contact the current club officers via their website to let them know of your interest.

Thanks for the info! I mentioned the possibility of my shooting on the occasional Friday night to my wife and she thought it sounded like a good idea so I think I'll check out the Bullet Hole. I've only been downstairs once - to shoot my concealed carry qualifier. I look forward to getting back down there for some fun.

Thanks again!

Thanks Wideload! Do you know if either location allows someone to come in an watch an event without shooting it? I guess this would be easier at Mill Creek due to the size limitations of the Bullet Hole. I have a few friends who are interested and one of them would like to watch a match first.

We shoot at Capital City (Topeka) the third Sunday of every month.

Hmm, Friday night at the Bullet Hole, Saturday at Mill Creek, Sunday at Capital City. Sounds like Monday divorce lawyer! :roflol:

Seriously, though... What's the crowd like at Capital City? Being a complete noob, I don't want to end up in a place where I don't belong. If you've ever played golf then you know the guy who is on the first tee on a busy Sunday morning who has never played anything other than miniature golf That's what I'm afraid I'll feel like.

Stop by the Bullet Hole on any Friday night after the holidays and we'll get you started. You can watch or take a short safety orientation and shoot with us. You won't have any problems fitting in and getting started. You'll meet a lot of folks from the other clubs around as well.

We shoot every Friday evening.

Stop by the Bullet Hole on any Friday night after the holidays and we'll get you started. You can watch or take a short safety orientation and shoot with us. You won't have any problems fitting in and getting started. You'll meet a lot of folks from the other clubs around as well.

We shoot every Friday evening.

Excellent! Thanks for the info. I look forward to meeting you.

We shoot at Capital City (Topeka) the third Sunday of every month.

Seriously, though... What's the crowd like at Capital City? Being a complete noob, I don't want to end up in a place where I don't belong. If you've ever played golf then you know the guy who is on the first tee on a busy Sunday morning who has never played anything other than miniature golf That's what I'm afraid I'll feel like.

It's pretty laid back, we have 3 bays we shoot in and 3 squads. Usually around 10 people per squad, good mix of shooters from D class to Masters. Here's the website: http://www.capitalcitygunclub.com/pistol/ccps.html come over and give it a try.

Well looks like I forgot to get the reply back in a timely manner, but Rich, Barry, and the rest covered for me again. Don't feel intimidated at BulletHole as the boys normally give a new guy about two weeks before they start beating you up. Actually it is a great place to start as there are only two stages per Friday and you can enter when you are ready.Normally the Safety Officer will stay with you the first evening just to help out, Let me know and we can meet and go together sometime. Olathe and all. 764-1140 James