Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do to your weapon AFTER a match or training?

BhmJeep

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been shooting USPSA for almost a year now with a Glock 35 and at first I cleaned it every match or practice session. Now I've backed it down to about every 500 rounds and then its a complete tear down and cleaning. Twice my glock has encountered a broken trigger spring. The first time i knew something was wrong because of the intermitten firing but on the second broken sping I wouldn't have known if I didn't tear it down for a cleaning.

It's funny that most of the guys having problems with their guns on game day are the one who bragg the most about not cleaning the guns. The way I see it if guns had built in burnt powder filters then I would only clean every three thousand bullets or three months, which ever comes first. Kidding aside, burnt gun powder rubbing against two pieces of metal cant be a good thing and I've seen some burnt powders so thick and pasty that it stopped a firing pin and saftey from working in a glock.

Revo: I push a wet patch with Hoppe's #9 through the barrel and the charge holes, let it sit for a few minutes, then run a dry patch, then a slightly oily patch. Drop of oil on the front and rear sight to keep them dark black.

Open gun: I brush the mags that fell to the ground before I leave the match. Before I put the gun up, I make sure the dot is turned off. Top end gets cleaned every couple 1000. If someone shows me how to disassemble the frame, I will clean it, too. Promise.

Revo: I push a wet patch with Hoppe's #9 through the barrel and the charge holes, let it sit for a few minutes, then run a dry patch, then a slightly oily patch. Drop of oil on the front and rear sight to keep them dark black.

Open gun: I brush the mags that fell to the ground before I leave the match. Before I put the gun up, I make sure the dot is turned off. Top end gets cleaned every couple 1000. If someone shows me how to disassemble the frame, I will clean it, too. Promise.

YouTube my friend, thats where I learned about my Glock. Don't know about the 2011 frame but the 1911 is pretty simple even if you strip it to the last screw.

YouTube my friend, thats where I learned about my Glock. Don't know about the 2011 frame but the 1911 is pretty simple even if you strip it to the last screw.

I know how to clean Glocks, too. ---> DISHWASHER when wife's not looking

Hey, if you're good with youtube, can I bring you my Open gun? I think I'm too lazy to learn 2011 disassembly. :blush:

Edited by Team Amish 1

I know how to clean Glocks, too. ---> DISHWASHER when wife's not looking

Hey, if you're good with youtube, can I bring you my Open gun? I think I'm too lazy to learn 2011 disassembly. :blush:

I'll be at Bailey's this weekend, bring it with you. I've been thinking about building a 2011 Limited gun and learning how ones put together may help me make a decision. Might also be a good part time business B)

• 2 weeks later...

After shooting I like to take about an hour to clean and inspect my weapon with a field strip. Over 3000 rounds of 230 grain, Clays @ 740 FPS, my model 1911 gets a full take down and magnifying glass inspection of all the pieces. With close inspection of a small sampling of the spent brass and fired primer condition. If the extractor is marking the cases in a bad way or the firing pin changes its strike, I find out why. The grip screw escutcheon gets a fresh application of #242 loctite as well as the rear sight as required. It is a hobby that the trigger pull just aggravates my itch to learn more. Still; there is nothing like the smell of fresh burnt gun powder in the morning. The recoil of the .45 ACP has become familiar to me. Like a handshake from a good friend. Its a good thing!

I used to detail strip every weapon after every match. Dad was a Marine. now I wet them down with oil, clean them more than they need, less than I'd like to as time has been less available as of late. Mags, generally get a brushing out and occasional retreat with liquid moly and powdered graphite.