Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Geissele Trigger Difference?

Prov1x

A buddy of mine and I recently purchase the Geissele Super 3-Gun triggers and installed them. Awesome triggers by the way but I'm sure everybody already knew that. The question I have is...his is a curved trigger and mine is a flat/straight one. He purchased his through bravo company and I got mine, on sale, from midway usa.

What would be the difference between the two or is one even different from the other? Is one newer design than the other or etc...just thought that it was odd that mine is straight and his is curved.

Thanks

I just won one at Fort Benning... It has the straight trigger. The rep that was there was great, answering questions, letting everyone try the triggers... My guess would be your best bet would be to call Geissele directly.

The straight trigger is the Super Dynamic. Its like a tuned SSA(2 stage) with a flat trigger. The Super 3 Gun is a single stage with a curved trigger that rolls through a short controlled creep like its on ball bearings until it breaks kinda unexpectedly. Both of them are non adjustable other than tuning the springs. Non adjustable as meaning no screws.

I'd like a S3G with a flat trigger to try out. That flat trigger feels good. I think Bill said he is gonna offer that in a few months once his exclusivity agreement with Midway runs out.

00, what do you think about the over travel?

I picked up one of the S3G's and have it installed, I havent had any actual time behind it but rather just dry firing and it FEELS as if it has a bunch of over travel. I am thinking about doing the ole set screw thru the grip threads but not sure if thats the way to go or just learn to quit pulling after the shot breaks.

I think the trigger could benefit from an overtravel screw in the nose. But Bill wants to keep them non adjustable. I added a bead of HeliArc weld on the nose and filed it to my liking. Night and day difference. Much shorter reset and a better feeling break. The set screw in the grip will not decrease the overtravel. That needs to be addressed on the opposite end on the nose of the trigger.

The straight trigger is the Super Dynamic. Its like a tuned SSA(2 stage) with a flat trigger. The Super 3 Gun is a single stage with a curved trigger that rolls through a short controlled creep like its on ball bearings until it breaks kinda unexpectedly. Both of them are non adjustable other than tuning the springs. Non adjustable as meaning no screws.

I'd like a S3G with a flat trigger to try out. That flat trigger feels good. I think Bill said he is gonna offer that in a few months once his exclusivity agreement with Midway runs out.

So what is the big difference between the two? Is the SD-3gun, mine, as robust as the Super 3-gun??? Is my trigger, SD-3gun, considered single or 2 stage trigger? Is one better than the other etc...?

I honestly can't tell the differences between the two even today when we shot them side by side, except for the flat trigger vs. curved. Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm new to this trigger mod thing.

Thanks!

The Super Dynamic(flat trigger) is a two stage. It has a small amount of pre travel before it hits a wall where the trigger breaks at. The Super 3 Gun(curved trigger) is a single stage. Meaning there is no pre travel and the pressure applied is directly against the sear for the break of the trigger. Its a matter of preference to which one you like. Both are fantastic triggers......just depends on what works best for you.

The Super Dynamic(flat trigger) is a two stage. It has a small amount of pre travel before it hits a wall where the trigger breaks at. The Super 3 Gun(curved trigger) is a single stage. Meaning there is no pre travel and the pressure applied is directly against the sear for the break of the trigger. Its a matter of preference to which one you like. Both are fantastic triggers......just depends on what works best for you.

OK I see...thanks for the clarification. I really couldn't tell the difference between the two, even the Super 3-gun trigger had slight take up so maybe that's why. I like the one I have so I won't be changing it but Geissele's website is terrible and I couldn't tell between the two except for the flat vs. curved triggers.

Okay I pulled my rifle out a minute ago and tried to feel the take up that you are talking about and there really isn't any take up. If there is, it is very minute, maybe not even an 1/8 of the overall trigger travel. It really feels like a single stage trigger to me...I know this is not a great comparison but it almost feels like my Ed Brown 1911 trigger but a little softer.

The trigger travels to the rear and there is just a small amount of force/sear wall feel before it breaks...it is light and feels lighter than 3.5 lbs that it is suppose to be. I read both the SD-3 gun trigger info and the Super 3-gun trigger info and it doesn't seem like there is a difference except for the design of the trigger itself (straight/curved).

I'm confused.... :wacko:

i got mine from midway and its flatand labeled and sold as super dynamic 3 gun trigger i think they make it both ways

Is yours single stage?

isnt the 3gun a hybrid ? not single not really 2stage either? the pics of both look the same other than the trigger surface

all i know is the pull is super short and then it goes bang real nice

OK.....got it figured out. The Super Dynamic is now available in the 3 Gun Configuration as well as the Enhanced and Combat models. The Enhanced and Combat models are 2 stage variants. The 3 gun is the single stage or "hybrid" as it is described by Giessele. All Super Dynamic Variants are the flat trigger models.

I just got mine installed... can't wait to get it to the range. Excellent trigger! Vast, vast improvement over my RRA NM trigger. No pre-travel, Click.... LOVE IT.

My Timney trigger gauge (spring, not electronic) measured at 3 pounds over 10 pulls. Low just under 3#, high at 3#2oz...

• 2 weeks later...

OK.....got it figured out. The Super Dynamic is now available in the 3 Gun Configuration as well as the Enhanced and Combat models. The Enhanced and Combat models are 2 stage variants. The 3 gun is the single stage or "hybrid" as it is described by Giessele. All Super Dynamic Variants are the flat trigger models.

Ok.... just a little confused here still. I was convinced I wanted a SSA-E trigger until this new one came out.

Does anyone here have both a SSA-E and a new whatever the 3 Gun trigger is for comparison? How short is the

reset on the two compare? Is the break on the 3 Gun "crisp" or spongy?

T

T

Just got my Geissele Super 3-Gun trigger and love it. The take up (pre travel) is great the comparison to ball bearing is right on. There is no wall it just breaks, mine measured at 3lbs 4oz avg over 5 pulls on a Timney trigger gauge (electronic). The over travel is minimal, I would not say that it is crisp but it is not spongy. I'm personal used to a good two staged trigger and on the range last weekend I did notice the need for some more trigger time with my new set up. In the end I think that it will help my times.

Just got my Geissele Super 3-Gun trigger and love it. The take up (pre travel) is great the comparison to ball bearing is right on. There is no wall it just breaks, mine measured at 3lbs 4oz avg over 5 pulls on a Timney trigger gauge (electronic). The over travel is minimal, I would not say that it is crisp but it is not spongy. I'm personal used to a good two staged trigger and on the range last weekend I did notice the need for some more trigger time with my new set up. In the end I think that it will help my times.

Yeah, I have shot a 2 stage for years..... so does it feel like a SIG 556 trigger? Sorry but if you

have shot a 556 you know what I am talking about.... kinda different/weird.

T

Edited by Tattoo

I have not had any time behind a SIG 556 other than handling one at SHOT. So I could not say either way, it is different from a two stage that is for sure. On the plus side it is much faster. I have spent a fair amount of time behind a long gun and I tend to prep my trigger and then finalize my POA (point of aim) and then let the shot break.

Excuse me for asking here, and I am really inquiring, but why not a JP? I have about 20,000 rounds on my lower with a JP and it breaks clean at just over 20oz, has never needed adjusting and is almost half the cost of this trigger you all are discussing. I am really not being a smart @$$ here, but I just don't understand. John has been in this space for quite some time and has come pretty close to perfecting his triggers. Just a question..

Thanks..

Mike

because its the "NEW" piece of techy gear, mike!! in order to get oooh's and aahhh's you simply cannot go with the "old reliable", it must be the "latest and greatest" at least until something else newer comes along. You can't be on top of your game without the newest bit of kit!!!

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Geissele makes a great trigger. As does JP (have two of his triggers). The Geissele is just very "cool" with the AR "tactical" crowd right now..... plus, haven't you heard, the more expensive the trigger, the better it will be!

I guess I do not really care if its "new" just if its better. Will it help me shoot better/faster. If it proves to not help me win it will get sold. I still think I am going to try a SSA-E. I played with it at Shot and it was NICE and I am used to a 2 stage trigger from years of shooting Highpower. I like the take-up and wall of the second stage when shooting targets at 300-400 yards. If the reset is short it works up close too. I was just curious about this new 3 Gun trigger for the close stuff with its advertised "super short" reset. And I need a new trigger for a second lower anyway.

I may just get both and sell the one I do not like...... :D

Thanks,

T

Edited by Tattoo

A 20 oz JP is out of the norm. Most JP's aren't 20 oz.

The JP uses set screws. I had thousands of rounds without any problems through my JP. Come this year's Ironman all of a sudden the JP wouldn't reset. The set screw had gone out of adjustment. I chunked an entire stage and I didn't have confidence in my AR in another stage that I used my pistol when I should have been using my rifle.

I also have a Jewell. Worked fine for thousands of rounds then all of a sudden it wouldn't reset. Again the set screws.

I had an Accuracy Speaks without any set-screws. I didn't have any problems at all with it until it wore out.

No set screws in the Geissele that I got. That's a plus for me and the main reason I'm replacing my current JP on my go to lower.