Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What causes this?

TannerB

I don't think it's so much firing out of battery, but the case is extracting a touch sooner, before the pressure has dropped to the point where it won't bulge the brass. If it's a .40 running Major, I'd put a 12-14 pound spring in it and see what the brass looks like.

What load are you shooting?

I'd also say that you need to immediately chrono your ammo. The last time I saw this happen to someone, they swore it wasn't their ammo, but oops, eventually found out the powder measure was throwing a charge higher than it should have been...and the chrono was what pointed him to something being wrong.

I'd also load a new batch, after confirming powder charge and that it's the same lot of powder, and try that as well. R,

The only time I've ever seen that sort of bulge was after cases were reloaded like 20 times each (carbide sizer) with no tumbler available. I've cut slides to Detonics length, I would think that makes them as light as any cutting you could do and leave them GM length?

You chopped a bunch of weight off your slide so I would bet it's unlocking a bit earlier. What recoil and main spring weights are you running?

I'll have my chrono with me tomorrow if you want to check your load.

Sorry I missed today, my old lady is making me hang out with her. Jim is going to tinker with it. I figured I'd also ask on here too.

Im not sure what my recoil spring is, I got this as a build gun and have no idea what parts are in it. I have tried other springs, but it seems like it closes to fast and jams on the spent case.

It does this firing slow also, so I think its kicking it out too soon. Im going to check my load again just to make sure nothing has changed but im sure its because of the slide.

im running 180gr with 4.8gr AA#2

Thanks guys.

You chopped a bunch of weight off your slide so I would bet it's unlocking a bit earlier.

Bingo. slide is moving and extraction is beginning before the bullet has left the bore. per noylj, you'll need to go up a bit in recoil spring weight (my $.02).

You chopped a bunch of weight off your slide so I would bet it's unlocking a bit earlier.

Bingo. slide is moving and extraction is beginning before the bullet has left the bore. per noylj, you'll need to go up a bit in recoil spring weight (my $.02).

I'll tinker with some springs thanks!

My guess is that it's something to do with either the ammo or the barrel fit. I don't think springs would cause this. The recoil spring isn't really there to keep the slide closed. That's what the link/lockup system is for (although no bout the spring pushes the barrel into these positions).

I could put a 7 lb spring in my limited gun tomorrow and the brass wouldn't look like that. Something more serious is going on here.

Edited by twodownzero

• 1 month later...

My guess is that it's something to do with either the ammo or the barrel fit. I don't think springs would cause this. The recoil spring isn't really there to keep the slide closed. That's what the link/lockup system is for (although no bout the spring pushes the barrel into these positions).

I could put a 7 lb spring in my limited gun tomorrow and the brass wouldn't look like that. Something more serious is going on here.