Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Love my 550b, hate the primer feed setup

the quickest fix for that is buy a 650 lol ask n2extrm

Is the primer feed set-up significantly different with the 650 c/w the 550? Doesn't there still have to be a tube, and a mechanism such as the sliding primer bar which picks up and delivers the primer?

they are totally differant 550 slides a primer 650 spins a primer

Are you sure the tube is seated correctly?

Not sure if this is directed to me. Yeah I went through that at the start - all of the primers dropped out of the tube and made a hell of a mess. A quick call to Dillon got me on track.

My issue w my 550 has always been getting the depth of the primer cup just right - Dillon says compress the spring as much as you can with a clamp or vise but when i do that the cup won't extend far enough up into the shell plate to press in the primer. I have to back off a little with the spring compression - but if I go too far the other way the primer cup will be too high and won't pick up a new primer out of the magazine tube tip on the next stroke.

Is the primer feed set-up significantly different with the 650 c/w the 550? Doesn't there still have to be a tube, and a mechanism such as the sliding primer bar which picks up and delivers the primer?

they are totally differant 550 slides a primer 650 spins a primer

So is it a better system, or just a different way to get the primer from the tube to the shellplate? I've never seen a 650 other than in pictures.

Duct Tape, if primers won't fully seat when the punch and cup are at the listed dimension, then look for another cause- could the shellplate bolt be too loose, or a crack in the crank? I recently listed a bunch of possible causes for high primers, do a search for it.

Once everything is adjusted to it's proper position a little trick that's helped me is to use powdered graphite as a lubricant on the primer slide bar, makes it's operation smoother and helps to run longer between cleaning.

Always lube cases, the smoother the operation the longer everything stays adjusted.

Duct Tape, if primers won't fully seat when the punch and cup are at the listed dimension, then look for another cause- could the shellplate bolt be too loose, or a crack in the crank? I recently listed a bunch of possible causes for high primers, do a search for it.

Dillon,

It seems I've taken this thread and run another way, sorry OP. Sent you a PM.

Yes Bello is right, that is exactly how I fixed my 550 primer woes. :roflol: The only thing that is better then a 650 is two of them one in SP one in LP. I think Bello knows what I mean!

The primer system on the 650 is very different. It still uses the tube, but the seating anvil or punch and the primer shuttle or slide is different. So far both 650's have been flawless.

If you don't mind the cleaning and tinkering the 550 will run for you.

No, other than the tube, they are completely different mechanisms. The 550 delivers the primer with a sliding bar, the 650 delives primers with a rotating round disc.

be

Once everything is adjusted to it's proper position a little trick that's helped me is to use powdered graphite as a lubricant on the primer slide bar, makes it's operation smoother and helps to run longer between cleaning.

Always lube cases, the smoother the operation the longer everything stays adjusted.

I use #2 pencils. I just cover all the surface that touch another surface.

No need to go buy a tube as most people have pencils laying around the house and pencil lead is actually graphite.