Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eric W's Limited Gun

EricW

Time to squelch the rumor mill...

This is a backup gun that I bought from a guy in PA. It's supposed to have been built by Benny Hill. I've finally got it to where it fits me. The Roupe Grip is a goner along with the Ice magwell. I have normal BoMars and an EGW magwell thanks to Erik Warren.

The rest of the gun is equally unspectacular: Plain jane steel guide rod. STI barrel. Dawson LoPro mag button. Plastic mainspring housing that I sanded the checkering off and put grip tape over it. Brazos .040" microdot sight.

Believe it or not, this gun actually looked nice when I bought it a month ago. I predict it'll pretty much be totally trashed by the end of summer. ;) The one thing this gun does is RUN. It has jammed exactly once in nearly 1K rounds: due to an uncrimped round. Not it's fault. I think I'm in love.

STI-RedGrip.jpg

That there is a mongrel, a mutt. I think I sent you an STI rear sight, just to get the facts straight before it breaks.

The picture doesn't show very well the skateboard tape behind the front serrations.

Gotta do something about color-coordinating the fiber optic and grip colors.

For the March contest, the winner will be the person who names the most mis-matched materials and finishes.

P.S. Lee Factory Crimp Die would've prevented that jam, just ask Flexmoney! :P

I do have to ask about the thumb safety though. Any reason that it is the square type.

They are Swenson Paddle Safeties. Added by the previous owner. Would have been added by me had they not. Ridiculously overpriced at $91.70 a set. Hideously inexcusable, gawdawful poor quality. IMHO, however, indispensable.

If I had to replace them, I'd never give Swenson the money. For $100, I'd buy a set of regular safeties and have the paddles welded on.

"My name's Eric, and I'm a habitual slide-rider..."

"My name's Eric, and I'm a habitual slide-rider..."

Hmmmmmm I thought I was the only one.

My name is Paul, I am also a Slide-Rider.

Maybe we can even start our own club. Kinda like AA but ummmmmmmm not.

Happy Shooting ( even if it is with a funny looking box safety)

Paul Franklin

My name's Erik, and I'm a reformed slide-rider.

My problems were worse with an STI slide. I had my gunsmith cut down those big "serrations" with an SV-like "panel cut." I had him cut my bald foo-foo gun slide similarly when he built it.

It's mostly a shooter problem, though. Relax the Vulcan death grip. Less tension.

If I had to replace them, I'd never give Swenson the money.  For $100, I'd buy a set of regular safeties and have the paddles welded on.

Eric,

Are you aware of the Kreb's style thumbguard? This is how it turned out on my gun.

Mongoose3.jpg

Ridiculously overpriced at $91.70 a set. Hideously inexcusable, gawdawful poor quality.

Ditto. They take a lot of work to fit them nicely. Then they break. I have broken 2.

I'd buy a set of regular safeties and have the paddles welded on.

I had a set made by Bul. The paddles are welded on. The paddle broke off.

bul1amby.jpg

Here is a pic of the same gun before hard chrome and with the Bull safety

SS,

Is the Krebs Limited legal?

Hmmmmm....

Good question. I do not know. My gut says yes. It is attached to the frame, like a magwell....??? Its gotta be legal. I haven't broken the Swenson's on my limited gun yet, but when I do, I will be going to the Krebs.

Sounds like it would be legal under the "500 produced" clause? Are you thinking it might not be under a different rule?

It is a dang thumb guard, dang it. It is not welded to the frame. It should fall under the same rule that lets you put a Swenson, weld a paddle on a regular safety, magwell or an extended mag release button on the gun.

EricW, hmmmm.... something about the red grip, green fiber optic and those hideously shaped thumbguard with the ugly paddles. Also the hammer's round hole and lightening cut clashes big time with those hideously shaped thumbguard with the ugly paddles. Did you try to cut the grip tape so it will match those hideously shaped thumbguard with the ugly paddles? You shoul've just bought TT's limited gun. <_<:huh::P:D I'm just kidding man. The gun looks great. Is it accurate?

EricW, hmmmm.... something about the red grip, green fiber optic and those hideously shaped thumbguard with the ugly paddles.  Also the hammer's round hole and lightening cut clashes big time with those hideously shaped thumbguard with the ugly paddles.  Did you try to cut the grip tape so it will match those hideously shaped thumbguard with the ugly paddles?  You shoul've just bought TT's limited gun.  <_<  :huh:  :P  :D  I'm just kidding man.  The gun looks great.  Is it accurate?

It's scary accurate - just not with me driving. :P

The gun came with a red FO, but red is just too dim indoors for me.

The grip tape is kind of an experiment. I'm working on a pattern so I can get a bunch laser cut so I can just slap on a new grip in 30 seconds. Hopefully other people will think it's a good idea so I can defray the setup costs.

The red grip was just an experiment. I was on the USPSA classifieds dirt cheap so I bought it. I was having major indexing issues with the undercut grip originally on the gun - the stock grip fixed it.

When that gun left the shop, it was a great looking gun. Just goes to show how shooters can take a silk purse & make a sow's ear out of it. But hell, everyone say's my personal guns are all ugly but they RUN.

When that gun left the shop, it was a great looking gun. Just goes to show how shooters can take a silk purse & make a sow's ear out of it. But hell, everyone say's my personal guns are all ugly but they RUN.

Benny,

If I can do that in a month, Just imagine how shitty that gun's gonna look in a year. :P

(Now I'll have to arrange a straw purchase to get my next Limited gun. when I'm out of school. There's no way Benny will ever *knowingly* build me one now....)