Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory 38 special for minor?

steel1212

+1 on Clays. Makes a nice load with 158 gr BBI. Clean and soft.

That was my idea, to use 158 BBIs. I figure I would use Solo 1000 as I plan to use it with the rest of my moly loads.

Yeah, Im using clays right now for .45 and 38sp. When that 3-4 lbs is gone, I'll switch to the Solo which Im using for 9mm 147gr bbi's. Man.. the mail man was pissed when those 3 cases of BBI's showed up! :roflol::D

If you want to shoot seriously in IDPA (or go Minor in USPSA Revolver... or shoot ICORE) round nose or pointed bullets are the way to go. SWC designs, and even JHPs with a flatter metplat, can pooch a reload in a hurry. BTDT. And, it doesn't make any difference if your chambers are chamfered or not.... trying to shove square pegs in round holes still slows things down, no matter how chamferd the hole is. A 158 grain LRN does a fine job, and they can be had cheap... and they will shoot more than accurately enough. But, given the present ammo selection from the bullet makers, you have to reload them to make PF in IDPA. ICORE is a different, and more sensible, matter. There are factory loads allowed there.

GOF

Well, while I applaud the drive to "play fair", a few PF off probably wouldn't cause an issue with a sane squad. Get in the game and have fun!

If you're just starting out, go pick the ammo based on quality brass. My recommendation would be to avoid the S&B, a large percentage of bad cases I've found while reloading have been theirs. If you need some brass, let me know, JFlowers gave me a deal and I have a few to spare.

Leam

In chrono'ing factory loads (standard), I found that all I tested didn't make PF from a 4" revolver. IIRC the range was 114000 - 121000. +P would need to be chrono'd.

You really need to invest in a press etc. A Dillon SDB is a good start.

Craig Buckland, a S&W sponsored shooter, uses these loads and they make PF easily. They are now my loads.

158gr Plated bullet

4.8gr/N320

or

4.4gr/TiteGroup

Mixed brass

Primer du jour

OAL = 1.50"

Good luck in your quest for PF.

Playing fair is what I strive to do too.