Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Rests

JasonS

Another open division gun question! (I'm in the process of building my first open division gun, and I'm trying to solidify in my mind exactly which options I want it to have before spending as much as these guns cost.) Which leads me to my next question.

Thumb rests, to use them or not to use them?

I got to take a good look at a top end shooters open division gun, at the range today. One thing he advocated was the use of the thumb rest, to ensure a proper grip on the gun. (Actually the way he put it was more in line with the "same" grip every time.)

Anyway, from reading Brain's book, there's a chapter where he states that he does not touch the gun with either of his thumbs, and merely points them in the direction of fire. In line with that thinking, so far I've been endeavoring to not touch the gun with my thumbs when practicing with my limited gun.

Thus the quandry.

Is it better to use a thumb rest, or no? (Or is it simply another preferential thing, that I will have to try out?) It seems to me like there would be a possiblity I would push the gun off target laterally if my thumbs had that kind of leverage. On the other hand, I can see where having some vertical leverage could quicken recoil recovery.

So I'm left handed, and I'd like to know where can I get a C-more mount, that will allow a left handed thumb rest? Will the frame have to be drilled on the "right" side for that to work, or are there mounts that will wrap round, to allow right sided thumb rest placement?

Thanks,

Jason

I always like having a thumbrest to where I can place my thumb and give some control to the Gun. All of the open pistol I had and still have has thumbrest. I like arredondo and also Limcats thumbrest.

I have made several different rests, until I found the shape and position that I liked. None of the purchased models worked for me (I think I tried them all), but once I found "my shape" I was able to replicate it. Now all my three open guns have the rest in exactly the same place, making it consistent and easy to move between them.

One thing I consider important - the rests I have attach to the mount, or directly to the frame, they do not use scope mount screws (well... except one... :)). This way you can take it off and install without disturbing the scope mount screws.

post-21305-052715000 1290876700_thumb.jp

post-21305-041234600 1290876709_thumb.jp

post-21305-038959300 1290876745_thumb.jp

Edited by Foxbat

I have made several different rests, until I found the shape and position that I liked. None of the purchased models worked for me (I think I tried them all), but once I found "my shape" I was able to replicate it. Now all my three open guns have the rest in exactly the same place, making it consistent and easy to move between them.

One thing I consider important - the rests I have attach to the mount, or directly to the frame, they do not use scope mount screws (well... except one... :)). This way you can take it off and install without disturbing the scope mount screws.

Good idea attaching to the mount. Mine only uses 2 of the 5 screws, however, I don't need to ever take mine off....it doesn't block the slide stop. Will post some pictures when i get home tonight.

So I'm left handed, and I'd like to know where can I get a C-more mount, that will allow a left handed thumb rest? Will the frame have to be drilled on the "right" side for that to work, or are there mounts that will wrap round, to allow right sided thumb rest placement?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

Got a picture of your gun (showing your scope/mount/etc)? If you can't find a rest, let me know and I might be able to mill one for you.

Darren

Good idea attaching to the mount. Mine only uses 2 of the 5 screws, however, I don't need to ever take mine off....it doesn't block the slide stop.

You are lucky if your ideal position lets you disassemble without removing the rest.

OK, I just installed a thumb rest on my open gun and I really wanted to like it (which means I thought it was going to instantly improve my game ;) ) It feels like a firmer grip to me, more reproducible. When I took it to the range I could shoot great groups with a fairly slow split rate (~.5 seconds) but if I try to shoot a quick double with a transition to another target, I really start milking the second shot by (I am pretty sure) pressure with my left thumb. Has anyone else experienced this.

Here's the thumb rest I just finished. Designed to keep the thumb in it's natural orientation (and to allow removal of the slide stop without having to remove the rest). Also designed to work with the Cheely mount. I left some metal running under the mount for leverage and to reduce the force on the screws. I've been practicing draws with it and I'm not seeing any problems. Plan to take it to the range soon.

D

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Thats a very cool gun!

Anyway, back to my original question, as a left handed shooter, I would need to mount that on the other side of the frame. Are there any scope mounts, that wrap around the gun to allow thumb rest mounting on the other side? I know, I could probably have something milled, I was just wondering what other lefties were doing. I'm guessing the lefties are drill and tapping the right side, to add a left handed thumb rest?

I don't have an open gun yet, so no pictures. I'm in the process of getting ready to buy one however (my first),and I want to make sure I have all my bases covered on what options I want in the build, so I don't get caught off guard by something after paying that price tag.

(I'm primarly looking at a Brazo's SC, I have one of his HP Edges and I love it.)

Jason

The OP is asking about items for a LEFT HANDED shooter. I'm LH and never seen a thumb rest for a LH shooter. Has anyone?

Yes CR is making one, also Bawo from germany (waiting for them at the moment) in the last few years I have seen quite a few made by gunsmiths but not really for the masses one of type...and yes I'm starting to think that I need my own little mill :lol:

Thats a very cool gun!

Anyway, back to my original question, as a left handed shooter, I would need to mount that on the other side of the frame. Are there any scope mounts, that wrap around the gun to allow thumb rest mounting on the other side? I know, I could probably have something milled, I was just wondering what other lefties were doing. I'm guessing the lefties are drill and tapping the right side, to add a left handed thumb rest?

I don't have an open gun yet, so no pictures. I'm in the process of getting ready to buy one however (my first),and I want to make sure I have all my bases covered on what options I want in the build, so I don't get caught off guard by something after paying that price tag.

(I'm primarly looking at a Brazo's SC, I have one of his HP Edges and I love it.)

Jason

With my STI guns, it's exactly what I did, used a plastic cover clamp (mini) to find the position I desire then mark and drill/tap 2 holes adjust the length of the screws and bingo it's done, pretty simple to do with basic tools. :cheers: (I also made some spacers for each screw feel better to me)

With my Tanfoglio (when received) it will be even simpler....the holes are already there :)

Edited by dansy

Thats a very cool gun!

Jason

Sorry about getting off track. I guess my point was that if you couldn't find a rest like you wanted, one could be made (as evidenced by my rest).

To get a thumbrest on the right side, it seems you end up with the same results (drilled and tapped holes on the right side) whether you go with a two-sided sided mount with the thumbrest attached to the mount, or screwing a thumbrest directly to the frame.

Extra holes in the frame sucks (especially if you ever try to sell the gun later). I'm not sure which would be the lesser of the two evils.

One thing to think about...if you do decide to screw the thumbrest directly to the frame, consider placing the holes exactly where a Serendipity or other mount might have it's holes placed. That way if you (or the guy you sell the gun to in the future) ever decides to go with a two-sided mount, you won't have extra holes on the right side.

Darren

I have sold 5 gun's with holes on the right side for my thumb rest :roflol: and I got a good price for all of them (to R/H Shooters)...even my chrome gun's, you cannot just live for the resale value at least I don't :cheers:

I have sold 5 gun's with holes on the right side for my thumb rest :roflol: and I got a good price for all of them (to R/H Shooters)...even my chrome gun's, you cannot just live for the resale value at least I don't :cheers:

Cool. I guess some don't care....however, I would. :) Take care.

With thumb rest, you can keep your thumbs directed downrange if you want. It is just a matter where you put it or how you adjust it.

First I had CR Speed thumb rest for years, then switched to DAA adjustable because it was new and cool thing... FAIL :( I could not mount it backwards enough and the screw kept loseging all the time, then went back to CR Speed. I have always had to grind a little bit off from bottom of Thumb rest to be able to remove slide stop. I think you can not install scope mount high that you would not have to grind CR Speed thumb rest.

Removing the thumb rest every time you clean the gun is NOT an option. I have had enough trouble with loosening C-more mount bolts already...

I am remembering, you can get CR Speed thumb rest left handed too ? Can anybody confirm this ?

With thumb rest, you can keep your thumbs directed downrange if you want. It is just a matter where you put it or how you adjust it.

First I had CR Speed thumb rest for years, then switched to DAA adjustable because it was new and cool thing... FAIL :( I could not mount it backwards enough and the screw kept loseging all the time, then went back to CR Speed. I have always had to grind a little bit off from bottom of Thumb rest to be able to remove slide stop. I think you can not install scope mount high that you would not have to grind CR Speed thumb rest.

Removing the thumb rest every time you clean the gun is NOT an option. I have had enough trouble with loosening C-more mount bolts already...

I am remembering, you can get CR Speed thumb rest left handed too ? Can anybody confirm this ?

Yes as posted above.... :devil:

One thing to think about...if you do decide to screw the thumbrest directly to the frame, consider placing the holes exactly where a Serendipity or other mount might have it's holes placed. That way if you (or the guy you sell the gun to in the future) ever decides to go with a two-sided mount, you won't have extra holes on the right side.

Darren

+1 to that.

I have one of the plastic contraptions - bought it from DAA several years ago - and it clamps right on the outside of my Serendipity, with screws going through the mount into the gun, no sweat. Mind you, I'm right handed, but if you get a leftie thumb rest it shouldn't be a problem with the Serendipity. (Though I see that a lot of gouys are going for the Cheely and similar mounts nowadays.) If you're using another C-More with metal mount; attach the rest to the mount, as hinted on previously in this thread.

As for the actual use it took me a while to get used to it, so it might be a good idea to invest some time before deciding whether it's something you want to use or not. Now, I find I don't have to think about how much force I need to apply with my support hand, and am quite happy with the thumb rest. It may or may not aid in keeping muzzle flip to a minimum; I think it does, but then I don't shoot a hybrid gun, so if you do , perhaps the advantage in terms of keeping the pistol from snapping is mimimal. (I run a Bedell 7-post comp and use roughly 9,7 grs of Viht N-105 behind 124 RN bullets.)

Siphon

Edited by Siphon Odesse

I have developed a left handed thumb rest that can be positioned differently, provides a shield for your thumb so no matter how hard you grip the pistol you don't have to worry about having to rub the slide and also provides protection for your thumb from a poorly ejected round. The initial holes drilled are so the thumb pedal can fit the layout of the serendipity C-more plus has additional holes so you can position it up close or further away. The position of the week hand is crucial in order to get the right grip. The way the rest sits allows you to keep the forward cant of your wrist which is recommended by most top shooters. (Check out what Max Michel has to say about the grip on YouTube).

HPIM2755.jpg

HPIM2707.jpg

HPIM2631.jpg

HPIM2630.jpg