Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A slide racker question for lefties.

JasonS

Do the lefties that are running open with a slide racker, have it installed on the right handed side (pistol left side facing out) or the left handed side (pistol right side facing out)?

I can see that having it on the right handed side, would be quicker for an empty magazine table pickup, but it seems (being left handed) that I would get more benefit from having it on the left handed side, for normal usage.

Which side do you prefer, and why?

(Also as a follow up, if there are any left handed slide rackers out there, where did you get it?)

Thanks,

Jason

I'm not a lefty, but I've had two guns set up with rackers that went out the right side of the gun (because of 90* mounts). They're still handy, but nowhere near as much as when they're on the other side. I'd imagine the same would be true for a lefty, with the sides reversed.

Quite a few rackers work from either side...in fact, all of them that I've seen that don't have a rear sweep, should work fine from either left or right. R,

The benefit of a slide racker is its something to grab with the weak hand to move the slide. Right handed shooters usually have it sticking out on the left side of the slide. Most left handed shooters prefer the racker to stick out of the right side (ejection port side) of the gun.

Some right handed shooters will also mount it on the right side of the side so that it clears a single sided scope mount and therefore does never needs to be removed.

Now the challenge of finding a left handed slide racker. You will probably need to be satisfied with a "straight" one that can be installed on either side.

Bill

Righty here. Racker on left side.

With the racker on the left its easier for my weak hand to grab the racker and rack the slide/clear jams.

Also it makes it easier to pick the gun up with my strong hand since its propped up with the racker on the left.

I've seen a few right handed peeps with the racker on the right.

Their reasoning is easy disassembly of the gun without taking the racker off and/or they have clearance issues with their thumbs.

In your case you benefit with disassembly and being able to rack the slide with your weak hand. Not sure on thumb clearance though.

I've watched right handed shooters who have the racker on the right having to clear a jam and it looks a bit awkward.

To me there would only be two potential benefits to mounting the racker on the left side. The first is that you eliminate any chance of the racker nailing your thumb if you get sloppy and let it stick up some. That is a level of pain that is difficult to put into words. The other is that with the racker on the right your fingers are right next to the ejection port which is not a good thing if you have a round detonate while you are racking a live round out of the gun. This is mainly a concern with .40 guns but still something to think about. I've tried one on the left side but it is awkward to use for me at least.

I'm a lefty shooting open. Racker is on the right side of the gun. I also use a 90 degree mount.

post-11739-011542300 1290815293_thumb.jp

That's a nice gun!

It sure looks to me like weak hand side, slide racker is the way to go from a speed and utility stand point.

I'm looking right now at getting a Brazo's Custom SC, but so far I've been told that the left handed configuration for the slide racker is not available. Is it safe to assume, that if the slide is notched for a right handed slide racker, that modifying it to left handed wouldn't be difficult? Something on the order of a soft mallet and a left handed replacement racker, or am I missing something subtle?

Next newbie question up: thumb rests! (But I'll open up a new topic for that one.)

Thanks for the input guys,

Jason

The same slide cut works for either side. The difficulty you will have is that rackers that normally sweep back (like the sidewinder) when you flip them around to go on the right side of the gun they will then sweep forward. You will either need to have a custom racker made or use one of the straight ones such as GB, Cheeley or SVI.

There was a gunsmith in Canada that was also making 1911 L/H.....personally I'm not interested in one because I don't see the advantage or disadvantage in using a L/H compare to a R/H pistol, I also like the mag button on the left side of the gun, I hit it with my trigger finger.

Been in the military for the last 34 years (still in:)) and I'm pretty comfortable with right hand weapon :devil:

Jason, because you are in Colorado, if I would be you I would contact Rick Hebert (Parker, CO) : http://rickhebert.com/ He has built several Open guns with slide racker you can turn 180 degrees. You can meet Rick in many local matches, specially at AGC.

If you want, we can go to talk to Rick together too. If you call him, you can tell Hannu told you should call him ;)