Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan 9MM Question

DT Guy

Hey guys new to the forum and just got a Spartan 9mm, my slide was tight but I tried some nano oil and it is smooth as glass, better than anything I have used before. but the reason I'm here is the tightness of the barrel bushing, I could not get it to come off without force and a few whacks with a brass hammer and a cloth to protect the finish, the same going back on, I've posted this on a few other forums and was wondering if they are all this tight or is mine just extremly tight? some one else said the same thing and he polished his to bare metal, I really don't want to do that for rust reasons. Any advice would be great or is it just the way it is?

Just a little info, I am not new to 1911s, I have a few others, so I do know a bit about maint. Its bushing to slide that is the problem not bushing to barrel.

That sounds like a perfect fit. Get a bushing wrench if it's that tight. And be glad that it's that tight. :)

just got mine Saturday.

Plan on being an IDPA gun, never thought I would say that. :P , but hey its more trigger time! while I am having my .40 singlestack being built, I can use this for practice. Anyways I plan on flat topping it 20lpi on top, checkering the front strap, putting a dawson front sight. Polishing the sides, and re-blueing. I am debating on having a welded magwell put on it. since my .40 cal has a welded magwell and it feels sooo good in my hand, I will probably have that done, when its all said and done.

So far I have put and ed brown beavertail, SV trigger with large curved insert, 10-8 extended mag release, Polished the internals, replaced the open ended cap, replaced recoil spring to a 10#. Installed the aluminum grips that I won at the Briley Generation 300 match.

Are you guys loading long with this gun. I shot some 1.135 oal length when I was test firing, and I was wondering if you were loading long for reliablity. at 1.135 oal, I could get about 5 rounds in the mag, when the mag started acting a little funky (9mm metalform). I am thinking of getting some Tripp .38super mags. What do you guys think?

Anyways here is a photo.

Im loading 1.130 to 1.150 I use Wilson mags mrs blue edge shoots this gun

Hey guys new to the forum and just got a Spartan 9mm, my slide was tight but I tried some nano oil and it is smooth as glass, better than anything I have used before. but the reason I'm here is the tightness of the barrel bushing, I could not get it to come off without force and a few whacks with a brass hammer and a cloth to protect the finish, the same going back on, I've posted this on a few other forums and was wondering if they are all this tight or is mine just extremly tight? some one else said the same thing and he polished his to bare metal, I really don't want to do that for rust reasons. Any advice would be great or is it just the way it is?

Just a little info, I am not new to 1911s, I have a few others, so I do know a bit about maint. Its bushing to slide that is the problem not bushing to barrel.

That sounds like a perfect fit. Get a bushing wrench if it's that tight. And be glad that it's that tight. :)

I use a bushing wrench, the problem isn't turning it, the problem is getting it off and then back on, after it is turned the wrench is useless.

After reading this thread several times I bought a Spartan 9mm on Gun Broker and couldn't wait to see if it would be as tight as everyone says. Got it today and dang it's as tight or tighter than all have said. Bushing to slide took a little time and effort to get off and had to use a hammer to tap it completely back into position. 1st 1911 I've had to use a bushing wrench on right out of the box. Shot 50 rds through it and plan on more tomorrow. Gonna shoot a few hundred rds before any tinkering. Was glad to see that the Metalform mag worked with all the ammo I had on hand; both JHP, FMJ, and Bayou Bullets. Soon as it lightens up a little I think this will be my IDPA pistol-XDM40 will get assigned to USPSA only.

After reading this thread several times I bought a Spartan 9mm on Gun Broker and couldn't wait to see if it would be as tight as everyone says. Got it today and dang it's as tight or tighter than all have said. Bushing to slide took a little time and effort to get off and had to use a hammer to tap it completely back into position. 1st 1911 I've had to use a bushing wrench on right out of the box. Shot 50 rds through it and plan on more tomorrow. Gonna shoot a few hundred rds before any tinkering. Was glad to see that the Metalform mag worked with all the ammo I had on hand; both JHP, FMJ, and Bayou Bullets. Soon as it lightens up a little I think this will be my IDPA pistol-XDM40 will get assigned to USPSA only.

They are not a bad gun for the money, throw a few dollars at em, and they can be just as good if not better as some of the high end 1911's. 9mm 1911's are fun to shoot, not harsh just fun for plinking or for idpa, or for a cheap practice session. I am completely happy with my purchase of it. Just added an ed brown ambi thumb safety.

As far as tight, mine was not as tight as some here have stated. I can take my bushing off with a wrench, not a problem.

anyways will post pictures of the finsihed gun, when it gets done.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my 9mm Spartan myself. Its bushing is pretty damn tight; I've got skin missing from my finger to prove it.

What kind of ammo run in y'alls Spartans? I'm wondering if it'll take the same load as my M&P, 147s @ 1.120". Hand cycling them is hit or miss out of Tripp mags.

Do you guys get truncated cone bullets to run in your 9mm 1911s or will I have to switch to a round nose of some kind?

I have been running nothing but reloads in my new Spartan 9mm. So far I have run 124 gr Precision Delta JHP with 4.8 gr WST, 124 gr FMJ Precision Delta with 4 gr TG, 130 gr BBI TC with 3.4 N320, and Bayou Bullets RN 135 gr with 3.4 N320. All loads clock out at between 127 and 136 PF. Still playing with the reloading of the BBI bullets. So far after about 400 rds I have not had a single malfunction with any of the bullets. Using the stock metalform mag; bought 3 more and all feed well. Both the TC and RN lead bullets are unbelievably accurate at 15 yds.

The bushing on my gun is tight enough that I have to tap (not to gently; either) it free of the slide. Guess it might take a little polishing to free it up. Did try a 10 lb recoil spring but seemed the slide was battering the frame so changed back to the factory spring. Recoil is plenty manageable with the stock spring. Changed the mainspring to a 17 lb and really like the trigger. Another 500 rds and then will decide if I want any trigger work done.

I have been running nothing but reloads in my new Spartan 9mm. So far I have run 124 gr Precision Delta JHP with 4.8 gr WST, 124 gr FMJ Precision Delta with 4 gr TG, 130 gr BBI TC with 3.4 N320, and Bayou Bullets RN 135 gr with 3.4 N320. All loads clock out at between 127 and 136 PF. Still playing with the reloading of the BBI bullets. So far after about 400 rds I have not had a single malfunction with any of the bullets. Using the stock metalform mag; bought 3 more and all feed well. Both the TC and RN lead bullets are unbelievably accurate at 15 yds.

The bushing on my gun is tight enough that I have to tap (not to gently; either) it free of the slide. Guess it might take a little polishing to free it up. Did try a 10 lb recoil spring but seemed the slide was battering the frame so changed back to the factory spring. Recoil is plenty manageable with the stock spring. Changed the mainspring to a 17 lb and really like the trigger. Another 500 rds and then will decide if I want any trigger work done.

What length are you loading to?

Loading to 1.135 with the normal variation of a couple of thousandths using mixed range brass. Just started working with the BBI 130 gr and noticed that some of the bullets are a little rough; miss cast a little. I have had a little trouble getting them to run a consistent length. No issues with feeding though. Much prefer the Bayou Bullets but Donnie down right now so BBI will have to work 'til he's back up and running.