My least fav part of the press,the primer system

They are either on the floor or the slide does not move free enough

to catch a fresh primer and I have to halt operation to fix

U see the primer cup is free and the cotter pin is not tight

it moves as its supposed too....So I am lost here

I have cleaned the primer feeder /slide and all other moving parts often

and even bent the rod a bit but cant seem to get it 100% reliable

What am i missing ?

Try to tighten down the primer insert (the silver knob under the warning buzzer)(have no idea what the real name of the part is). I was having a similar issue and this part was loose....

eta... did not catch that it was the old primers going everywhere...

I really do not have an issue with this...

Are you de-priming crimped brass? That seems to be the only time I have an issue with primers going everywhere...

Edited by HS101

I have the same problem. Some of them just go a completely different direction. The only way that I have found to make sure that they don't go flying is to slow down as the old primer is being pushed out.

I would rather go fast and sweep at the end that go slow 1000 times.

For spent primers, most likely cause is the aluminum cotter pin is bent, and the sheet-metal catcher is not always closing. replace the cotter pin with a small safety pin. Open it up, push the pointy end through all the holes, then snap it closed. Be sure that both bolts that attach the spent primer catcher/roller bracket assembly to the underside of the platform are tight. On the operating rod that moves the slide back and forth, be sure it freely pivots in the bracket clamped around the primer housing. If left dry for too long, it can gall. Then it moves stiffly in the bracket.Be sure the front lower edge of this bracket is within .002-.004" of contacting the machine frame. If it is higher, then then angle of motion for the rod changes, and it can't move the primer slide rearward far enough.

I also added a piece of flexible magnet that you get from advertising companies or vendors, etc. to the inner side of the chute tube. Opens nicely with the safety pin.

Nice. Yes, replacing the cotter pint waith a safety pin eliminated "primers everywhere" for me.

be

I also added a piece of flexible magnet that you get from advertising companies or vendors, etc. to the inner side of the chute tube. Opens nicely with the safety pin.

Nice. Yes, replacing the cotter pint waith a safety pin eliminated "primers everywhere" for me.

be

I installed a custom tactical upgrade by throwing the cotter pin away and bending a paper clip to the proper dimensions. I made my super grade takedown tool for my 2011 using similar technology.

be

I installed a custom tactical upgrade by throwing the cotter pin away and bending a paper clip to the proper dimensions. I made my super grade takedown tool for my 2011 using similar technology.

U guys are a gas........Ill try a looser pin idea

but honestly what sucks is all the dirt and carbon that builds up

around the ram that caused all the fiddling I have to do to load

be

U guys are a gas........Ill try a looser pin idea

but honestly what sucks is all the dirt and carbon that builds up

around the ram that caused all the fiddling I have to do to load

I used a small piece of cardboard (about three inches long), bent it into a U shape and put it inside the primer catch cup. When the cup raises, the cardboard is around the primer catch thingy (see comments about pins and clips) and when it releases the primer it is surrounded by the cardboard and spent primer falls into the cup.

However, in light of similar problems with pins, clips, and primer and tumbler debris, I use a inexpensive lee c-press to decap as a seperate step and all the nasty stuff is on the $20.00 press and not the Dillon.

I used a pin and added a magnet to the bottom of the metal chute as a weight. My problem isn't with the chute not closing anymore. It is with those primers that don't go anywhere near the chute. It seems like they go off like a rocket at completely odd angles.

Like I said, I just sweep once a week and I'm good.

I used a pin and added a magnet to the bottom of the metal chute as a weight. My problem isn't with the chute not closing anymore. It is with those primers that don't go anywhere near the chute. It seems like they go off like a rocket at completely odd angles.

Like I said, I just sweep once a week and I'm good.

YES......I do see primers go hard left on occasion..has nothing to do with the chute

Honestly this IMO is the weakest part of the design of the Dillon

I mean really,the rely on gravity which is fine but the path is open to

debris and the gap is too large.....Never had this problem with the slow red press..

Maybe they should supply a broom with all 550Bs and If they want to claim to be the best

press made well,be it.......talk is cheap - its a lame design