Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 and Lee Dies

ckfarris

When I first started reloading with a single stage press I was using Lee dies. When I finally decided to jump up to a progressive, I choose the Dillon 550 and am extremely happy. The only possible problem I see, and it moght not be a problem at all, is that you have to scrw in the Lee dies almost all the way to fit them into the Dillon 550. I have Lee dies for 9mm, .40S&W, ad .45acp and they are all the same way. I have also purchased Lee Carbide Factory taper crimp dies to add to my 4th stage of the press. Right now I am still playing with things a bit, especially with the taper crimp. I just can't seem to figure out what is quite right. My question is, any problems with how far I have to screw the Lee dies into the press or are there better choices?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All the comments here are good ones. The issue is not with how far the dies screw in, but how many threads are left for the lock ring. All the force is exerted on the threads in the toolhead and you're GTG there. I take the o-ring out of the nut and flip the nut over and get plenty of threads to make me happy just to keep the dies in place.