Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Charmaster Scales

Baer45

I have a new RCBS Chargemaster Scale and loved it until I notice readings that did not look right. I Calibrate it but it will not hold it's zero for more then a few loads...anyone else have this problem? Anyone been real pleased with a different brand of auto charge? I know RCBS will replace it but this puts me out of business or certainly slows me way down....

• 2 months later...

Santa brought me the Hornady version, but I haven't used it enought o say if it is any good for the long haul. From everything I've seen on the forum boards the RCBS is one of the best, but they still aren't completely reliable. I remember one guy saying he bought a second one, so he has a spare when the other is at RCBS for repair. Now they are basically in a rotation. They charge something around $45 for repairing them if they are past their warranty. I've noticed a lot of complaints on the Lyman as well.

First, call RCBS and discuss it.

Second, my ChargeMaster is several years old and has always been totally reliable. No drift. Keep balance on at all times. I still have my Ainsworth electronic balance from the late '70s and it works perfect and has never had any drift or instability. I have no idea what people do to have so many "reported" problems.

Be sure the pan is placed consistently properly.

Do not EVER turn the unit upside down or shake it.

Mine is 3+ yrs old now and never had any issues with it whatsoever.

I have just recently changed the settings in it after a friend 'hotrodded' his.

It will drop my LR loads of 50-100gr at full speed and stop on the weight with no slowdown or trickling - before it was verygood, now now its excellent

• 11 months later...
I Calibrate it but it will not hold it's zero for more then a few loads...anyone else have this problem?

Call tech support.

Electronic scales are subject to problems with the power supply. If there are variations in the power, the readings can fluctuate. I had a problem with a PACT scale and tracked it down to the fact that it was on the same circuit as some other equipment and when that was on, there was some interference on the line. Ran an extension cord to a different circuit and haven't had a problem since.

Also, you need to put the scales on a very stable surface that is free from vibrations and away from breezes (like right next to a heating/cooling duct).

Electromagnetic interference can mess with any electronic scale.

To that end, make sure that you keep emitters (such as mobile phones, microwave sources, etc.) away from the scale.

Also, most cheap AC-DC converters (that usually wind up shipped with electronics nowadays) output dirty DC. To help reduce that, I put ferrite cores on my DC leads and have noted more stable measurements.

That is also in addition to making sure that the scale is level, etc. etc. etc.