Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Revolvers

DogmaDog

Ah, I missed the 686 part. Yeah, the Smith & Wesson warranty station fixed the gun for free by installing a brand-new barrel. But after that I got rid of it. I wish I'd kept it - it would've made a great .38.

Just out of curiousity, have you tried any of the 110-gr. .357s? You might be surprised how mild they are compared to full-bore 125s and 158s. According to a ballistician I talked to, with such a lightweight bullet they can't build enough pressure for super-high velocities before the bullet's gone. Which is why the 110-gr. .357 and .38 +P+s overlap. Though the .357/110 isn't marketed as such, it's really a "medium velocity" .357 load.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, or others, You mentioned that there were only 3 or 4 speedloader revolver shooters at the nationals.  Just out of curiosity what revolver do most IDPA revolver competitors shoot?   Does one gun seem to dominate?

Thanks,

I'm not sure what Alex Zimmerman shot but, most top finishing competitors that I have seen use S&W 625's.  It's not so much the reload as it is they are using a great big bullet, that only has to make a 125 PF.  Most of the ones I see go poof instead of bang. :)

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Like my friend Bill, I also made Master class with speedloaders.  I used a 4" 686 though.  It just fits my hand way too good.  I will be trying a 625 at the match at the Winter Campionships at  S&W and the Nationals in 03.  I am getting my ammo worked up so I don't have to use full power 45s like I've done in the past.  I will make power factor plus 10%.  I've always shot full power 45 ammo in the 625 in the past.  I'm hoping that with what I save in reloading with moon clips and also with the wimpy ammo, I'll try and make a run for it!

I shoot a 625 for USPSA and have been using 230 grain bullets with Clay's at major power factor.  Has anyone had success with using these at the low power factors we can use for IDPA or should I use a smaller grain bullet?

Thanks,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve only been shooting revolvers a couple of years after several years of 1911 fun so I’m far from being a revolver expert.  Sense I started shooting revolvers I’ve played with speedloader guns in the form of either a 586 or 19, both are 4”, while my moon clip guns have been 625s (a 5” until recently and now a 4”).  My split and reload times run about the same with either set up, but I still lean towards the 625s anyway for a couple of reasons.  The first is that, for me anyway, I do not always get all the brass out of the chambers all the time when reloading a speedloader gun.  Maybe this is just something I’m doing wrong, but it sure does bug me.  While with a moon clip I never have this problem.  The other thing is that I like the way the big N frame recoils in my hand.  My IDPA load runs right on 165 PF and even it feels soft in the 625.  Even my 174 PF IPSC load feels soft in that gun!  

• 1 month later...

S&W .38 Super x 6-shot Model 686 with Moonclips will be available in the spring. It will be shown at the SHOT Show. Perfect IDPA revolver for those shooters that prefer a smaller frame gun and can shoot factory W-W for the match or reload for the power factor.

Quote: from Tom Revo on 11:31 pm on Jan. 30, 2003

S&W .38 Super x 6-shot Model 686 with Moonclips will be available in the spring. It will be shown at the SHOT Show. Perfect IDPA revolver for those shooters that prefer a smaller frame gun and can shoot factory W-W for the match or reload for the power factor.

guess it will have the internal lock and MIM parts though.

ted

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: from Tom Revo on 11:31 pm on Jan. 30, 2003

that gun is on smith's web page now, under the "what's new" section.

Ted