Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kydex Holster

joer

I am going to start shooting IDPA, and was looking at the Uncle Mike's kydex holsters - is there any difference in the height on your hip, or where the holster sits on the belt,  between the Uncle Mike's, Kytac Super Hooper, and the Blade Tech?  Are these three holsters essentially the same?

I know from Blade Tec you can order either straight drop or FBI cant and I think there is some variation on how far the pistol is positioned away from your body with some of the manufacturers.  Probably good to check their web sites to say for sure.  Kydex is really hard on the finish of your pistol, but very fast.

Good luck and have fun.

Unless you have preformed opinions about what you do/don't like in holsters, buy the $20 Uncle Mike's, or the $20 injection molded bladetech.  Don't worry about the $60 bladetech, if you like the sport and want to get more serious...then look at 'em.  The $60 bladetech is a better quality holster, but it won't make the difference between an expert run and a master run on the classifier.

My straight drop uncle mike's rides higher and feels further back than my FBI cant Bladetech.  But that is the difference in gun slant.

I use an FBI cant bladetech ($60) for my G-34, and an uncle mike's ($20) for my 9mm-1911.  I use uncle mike's double mag pouches for both.

HighTechRedneck is offering some good advice.

The uncle mikes kydex I saw were adjustable between straight drop and fbi cant.  Good call to find out which works for you.  

I use blade tech with good results.  I did just order a TalonTactical holster and will get it this week or next.  From what I've seen of Talon, there stuff is pretty good too.

One thing with most all kydex.  Loctite the tension screws, they back out at times you don't want them to.

Ted

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, According to the latest Tactical Journal from IDPA HQ "holsters that allow adjustment to a forward cant (muzzle forward) will be removed from the holster list"

I'm not sure if this is saying just adjustable holsters or all forward cant holsters will be illegal.

Info is on pg 12 of the 1st quarter 2003 Tactical Journal.

• 2 weeks later...

Before you spend a chunk of change, check the IDPA website. They are changing the holsters that are allowed at the end of this year. NO holster that allow forward cant will be allowed. make sure what you pruchase will still be ok. Uncle Mike's paddle may not as it cants forward, but at $20 it is easier to take than a $60 that you may have to replace.

Just a little food for thought.

:wacko:

C Sims

Here is the reply I received from the IDPA on that very question.

"I don't know what else to tell you about the fact that the holster policy

has changed. We posted the BoD's decision and the reasons. I will admit

that it was my wording, but this was a BoD decision. Please be patient with

us while we try to make things better for our sport. The decision to remove

any holster from the list that allows a forward cant is an attempt to remove

this responsibility from the safety officers. Safety officers have entirely

too much to do to have to also worry about finding out if the holster is

pointed the right way or not. We're just trying to make things easier for

safety officers and match directors. I hope that you can understand that

the BoD is trying to retain the integrity of the sport for all of us and

make the work load easier on those who donate their time and efforts, namely

the safety officers and match directors."

This is only the section of the email that applies to this question.

I am going to start shooting IDPA, and was looking at the Uncle Mike's kydex holsters - is there any difference in the height on your hip, or where the holster sits on the belt,  between the Uncle Mike's, Kytac Super Hooper, and the Blade Tech?  Are these three holsters essentially the same?

depends on which ones you are referring to.

the blade tech belt loop holsters sit lower than the company's paddle design.

super hooper and UM rigs position the gun a little further away from the body [inregards to the belt loop models] than the BT.

for the most part ,they are essentially the same - plastic holsters .

Since you are just starting out - get the UM.

save the $$ for practice ammo.