Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with an arm disability

coyote4x4

My boss was in a motorcycle accident years ago and as a result only has partial use of his right arm (and he's right handed). He has no feeling in it, it is atrophied, and can't grasp anything very well. Imagine your arm is fully asleep and all you can do is flop it around. He's been asking me about guns lately and it got me thinking how he could shoot a match if he ever wanted to.

He says he can rack a slide if it's not too heavy, but how would he reload? I'm thinking he could eject a mag, put the gun in the holster, insert a mag, draw again and continue shooting, all with the same hand.

As a secondary question, any suggestions on what guns he could get? I'm thinking 1911 or HK as they have light springs and are easy to rack. The wife has an HK P2000 for this reason. For my boss, this would be primarily a self defense gun as I don't think he'll come to a match with me anytime soon.

I've seen a couple of things that might work for your boss. One time I saw a guy shooting pins or maybe it was plates at a local indoor range. He used a big stick mag & didn't have to reload under the clock. Another time I saw a one armed guy with mag holders that held a magazine pointed straight up & down on the front of his belt. this would allow safe reloading without the need for holstering. Obviously just for learning & so forth, holstering is a good idea & doesn't require any special gear at all. By the way, I heard the mag holders that the one armed guy was using were an old invention from the late 70s, early 80s when a bunch of guys used them even if they had two good arms. Probably not uspsa legal as they were too far away from his body but acceptable to use for fun & practice. Worst problem with one arm usable that I can see is the need to clear a jam. That could get tough to do in a safe way.

MLM

Last Valentines day I fell from a ladder and shattered my left elbow and left wrist. Two surgeries a few pins and screws later I was put back together. Fast forward to shooting few matches last summer, this is what I learned.

1. It's real hard to unload and show clear. I always told the RO ahead of time and they worked with me.

2. weak hand shooting for me, forget it.

3. opening doors or any other props that require pushing or pulling, add a couple seconds and be very careful.

4. reloads, add another second or so.

5. Instead of resetting steel and props, I scored a lot.

6. keep the gun clean and running reliably, if it jams, game over.

I did not have high expectations as far a match results but just getting out there and participating was therapeutic. Some times you have to run with what you got.

If he's ok with limited, there's a guy down here who has a belt setup with the mags on a platform facing straight up. He drops the mag and slams the gun onto the next one. I can get you in touch with him if you like.

If he's ok with limited, there's a guy down here who has a belt setup with the mags on a platform facing straight up. He drops the mag and slams the gun onto the next one. I can get you in touch with him if you like.

Shot with him at the Miss Classic, and he is Amazing. Great guy, too. He helped me out with a young shooter that we have that does not have full use of his left hand.

Mark K.

Yeah, I was thinking a 9mm 1911 would be perfect.

Thanks for the ideas. Over time I'll probably wear him down and get him to come out for a match, but in the meantime at least I'll have these ideas in my head. He put together a replica cobra so I'm sure he would figure things out.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have a paralyzed right arm from birth. I shoot idpa and have an open gun. when i shoot idpa i shoot until im empty. To change mags i can grasp a mag but cant raise it above my waist so i bring the gun to the mag. makes some RO's nervous. I then stick/hook a finger on the breech-face to let it down. i personally don't like moving the gun around in my hand to hit the slide release (lefty). haven't had a malfunction with the gun in a match so I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Hardest thing was showing up that first time but i just explained my situation to the RO and he was very helpful and understanding. They don't care how you do things as long as you do it safely. I'm so glad i went because i am 100% hooked.

Shot with him at the Miss Classic, and he is Amazing. Great guy, too. He helped me out with a young shooter that we have that does not have full use of his left hand.

Mark K.

The first time Joe shot Area4, he drew more of a crowd than the "Super Squad" did. :bow: And rightfully so! :cheers: