Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new xd-40 Tactical

Paul-the new guy

I just bought a XD-40 Tac at the local fun show.... I have not even picked it up (5 day wait) and I am having a little buyers remorse. I have been shooting in USPSA and IDPA for 4 months using glocks. I started with a 23 then traded for a 22 and added a 17. I am not awesome but feel like I am better than my Glocks allow me to be. From a rest at 15 yards the glocks seem to produce 3.5" + groups I am not happy with that. I had a Sig P-220 that would easily do a 1.5 inch group. Any way, I bought the XD hoping for a more accurate gun but the more I am reading the more I am thinking that my not in fact be the case??? I have had the triggers done on the glocks and added fiber optic front sights. I shoot about 600 rounds per month between matches and practice and feel like i have plateaued with the Glocks. Is the XD a better shooter?

depends on you.....some like the more 1911ish grip angle of the XD...some complain that the XD has too high a bore axis

you should borrow or rent one first to see if you like it....a 3rd great option is the M&P

I personally prefer the XDM9 for production class

the real question is why did you get an XD in 40? if shooting "Production" the 9mm would have been advantageous for recoil control...if shooting "Limited" the XDM would be advantageous capacity-wise. Limited-10 is the only division I can see to run an XD40

yeah, i guess i can add that to the mounting number of reasons i should not have purchased it. I shoot limited in uspsa and i like to shoot .40 so I can score major the magazine capicity wont be a big help in that. I shoot 9mm in IDPA for the recoil advantage since there is no power factor. Maybe it will just be a safe queen... it was kind of an impulse buy, i had a disapointing USPSA match yesterday. There were some long shots and i shoot poorly with the Glock 22. I was looking for an aftermarket barrel and ended up with a gun...

Edited by Paul-the new guy

Canyon creek has mags with big bases for the XDM40 that will hold 21 rounds...that's the same as the STI guys

http://www.shop.canyoncreekcustom.com/product.sc?productId=35&categoryId=2

maybe you can get the full purchase price in trade on an XDM40...if the guy wants repeat business bad enough he should do it

Powder River Precision can also tune up your gun. The XD in 40 is a fine gun. You need to decide which IDPA or USPSA division you want to optimize this gun for. 40S&W is a great minor power factor shooter. Run 155gr to 185gr bullet with Clays or Titegroup.

P.S. As for myself I'm sticking with the Glocks. I know people that love their XDs.

I am warming up to it a little. I can get some cool upgrades for it. There are tons of sight options and I can get a SS or tungsten guide rod, Tungsten oversize or extended mag release. maybe limited 10 is for me. ;-) If I had shot that division I would have come in second, seeing as how only one person shot it lol I wont have it until after the 3 gun match this weekend so I cant shoot it this weekend but IDPA is the next weekend I will probably shoot it in SSP. Thanks everyone

Go for it. I shoot a XDM40 in Limited (USPSA) and ESP (IDPA). For limited I use .40's loaded to 170 PF and then download to around 145 PF for IDPA. That IDPA rd is sweet with a 16 lb recoil spring. Just have to be careful about mods since some that are OK for Limited are not OK for ESP. A quick look at both rule books will keep you safe. Think with a little time you will come to love the XD.

Load those mags to max capacity and let them sit a while; they will ease up pretty quickly. At first it was hard to load mine even with an UpLULA. After shooting a good bit and leaving the mags loaded between range trips I can now load them by hand easily. UpLULA is still the first choice though.

WOW, what a different animal this XD is than my Glock 22. It is night and day. I feel like I am shooting a .380 not a .40S&W. The felt recoil is so much less. I shot both, side by side and they are like night and day. The trigger on my Glock is right around 3lbs and the xd is stock, feels like 6-7 but could be less. I need to get the trigger done asap. I do like the way it shoots though. :cheers:

WOW, what a different animal this XD is than my Glock 22. It is night and day. I feel like I am shooting a .380 not a .40S&W. The felt recoil is so much less. I shot both, side by side and they are like night and day. The trigger on my Glock is right around 3lbs and the xd is stock, feels like 6-7 but could be less. I need to get the trigger done asap. I do like the way it shoots though. :cheers:

The new powder river precision ultimate match kit is amazing. You'll wonder how you ever shot a stock trigger after putting it on.

The new powder river precision ultimate match kit is amazing. You'll wonder how you ever shot a stock trigger after putting it on.

Did you install it yourself? Is it complicated?

I did a Springer Presicion on my XD service, myself, easy, very very minor fitting. Made a huge difference.

Edit to add: If you want to change the sights have a gun smith do it or get the sight pusher. The damage to the sight or gun doing it home style will not be worth it IMO.

Edited by carter300

Did you install it yourself? Is it complicated?

I installed both of my trigger kits. I personally don't think it's hard but I'm a DIY type of person with cars, bikes, house stuff, guns, etc.

If you are comfortable taking apart your gun, it is not hard. It's just a matter of taking apart certain parts, minor polishing of new parts, and reinserting them. Since the overtravel stop is built into the trigger, it's much easier to fit than the old overtravel stop.