Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full length dust covers

Many guns have both short dustcover and full length dust cover models available. The 1911 and CZ 75 vs SP-01, tanfolgio stock II vs limited pro come to mind.

I know the full length dustcovers put weight at the nose of the gun and help with recoil reduction at the cost of a heavier gun.

However, do the full length dustcovers improve accuracy? There is more slide to frame contact with the full length dust covers so it would seem to help with accuracy. Am I wrong or is the difference in accuracy not even perceptible?

Thanks.

I don't think there's really much difference if both types are evenly matched in their quality-of-build and fitting, but that said, as far as the slide-in-frame vs. slide-over-rails configurations, I remain skeptical, as I have seen with my own eyes quite a few mass-produced $500-800 CZ's and Tanfo's match or beat the accuracy turned out by $2k-3k+ hand-fitted slide-over-rail guns, so there may be something to the theory of more/longer rail contact or what's going on there maybe having an edge...?

Think these days many shooters can mitigate any front-heavy advantage as far as controling recoil is concerned with their choice in springs.

Edited by ck1

Philo_Beddo - The full length dust cover is strictly for weight out front. In a 1911 there is not rail contact out there anyway all that stops about the end of the trigger guard.

The biggest factor in accuracy in these gun is how well the barrel is fit and how well it locks up. A gun can be very accurate even with a bad slide to frame fit as long as the barrel locks up in the same place each time it goes into battery.

Make no mistake the CZ SP01 is a very accurate gun, especially my Angus Custom Shop Shadow, it is as accurate as any custom built $5000 2011 (1911) open gun. It may not be as accurate as my custom built Caspain 1911 which has exceptional accuracy. (Regular length dust cover).

• 1 month later...

I compete with 2011's with full length dust covers. Neither of my 2011's have frame rails which extend forward on the dust cover. I chose the full length dust cover for the forward weight distribution, recoil control and option for a rail mounted laser/light combo. In addition to the full length dust cover my SVI sighttracker has a schumann weighted barrel with a lightened slide built by SVI. That said, accuracy is in the hands of the competitor. I've had my bad days were a few targets were missing holes after completing a course of fire. I'm happy with a 2 inch group at 20 yards. There are alot of GM's out there that spin majic with my type gun. When you are shooting freestyle, on the move, targets obscured with a no shoot or hard cover, your only as good as the guy holding the gun. Good equipment will help improve your game. Practice practice, practice improves your game. If it's mental and helps, use it. I think the extended dust cover helps.

Rock River Arms had a paragraph or two on their slide to frame fit. They tried to explain they had more surface contract in their fitting than most other guns. I concluded that most slide to frame fitting only have a few spots where there is actually contact between the two. For example, there may be only two spots on each side of the slide that actually contact the frame.

In an respected gun magazine that was doing article on custom guns built by well known gunsmith, there was a very good article about a gunsmith is southern AZ, outside a base that few know about. The author talked about the gunsmith spending a hour or so measuring the frame and slide and about five minutes actually milling both.

As most say, the important areas are the the barrel to slide fit and lock up especially for iron sights. For Open guns with the optic attached to the frame, the slide to frame fit becomes more important. A looser fit can cause the POI to be inconsistent especially at longer ranges.

Just my opinion though.

• 5 months later...

I previously had a Springfield MC Operator. When compared to a stainless 5" Ed Brown, I could feel a slight difference in recoil... And, the MC Operator only has a 3/4 rail.

I have a full rail Springfield Custom Shop Full Rail Operator in 9mm. It's an awesome gun. While its not QUITE like shooting a 22, is does come down closer to that scale than a 9mm in terms of recoil. With the full dustcover and the heavy bull barrel (the barrel is pretty thick, since it is a 9mm barrel), the recoil level is pretty low. It's the most accurate 9mm I've ever shot.

I'm not the best shooter in the world, but when I shoot a regular 9mm gun, and then pick up this 1911 9mm, I can see a big difference in my group size.

I get hell for having pachmeyer grips on such an expensive gun, but it's my personal preference. The front strap does have 25 LPI hand checkering, though...

Operator-red2.jpg

Operator-red1.jpg