Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weighing brass?

Resjudicata

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered some new Starline brass for my 9mm metallic gun. Do any of you weigh your brass for consistancy? I've seen AP say that he weighs bullets.

Also, what if any prep work do you all suggest for new Starline brass? Do you check brass length, chamfer necks? Or, do you just stick it in the press and load it just like used brass?

Thanks,

Chris

I dump it in and get to it. I have never had a problem with 38sc. Runs smooth thru the 650.

Some people do weigh their bullets to make sure they are what they say they are, just in case they are a little off they can make sure their power factor calculations are correct.

Some weigh their, brass, bullet , primer and powder separately. This way whey can weigh a finished round and it should all add up.

I have not gotten to that point as of yet.

Edited by cyburg

When my gun was newer and my eyes younger, my AP gun using new Starline Brass, Zero 115gr JHP, Federal Primers and Hodgdon Titegroup, the damn thing shot sub 1" groups (one group was .55" for the first 5 rounds and ended up at .85"), in fact Zero have the target somewhere. Prone of a sandbag.

I just ran the brass through the tumbler for ten minutes (new untreated corn) to remove any loose brass shavings and lubed and loaded.

I honestly think that for most semi auto handguns (and operators thereof) that good clean newish brass will be fine. For match brass keep the brand and age the same as best you can, don't just hurl it in a big can under the bench.

For practice just keep it clean and in good condition. I slowly run the match brass into that lot and load away.

Starline has a great reputation with regards to their brass. I have not read any complaints regarding flaws. That said, I tumble my new brass for 45 minutes to remove brass dust, chips, etc.. I lube all brass with One Shot regardless of age or times fired and then start cranking the handle on my 650.

Brass prep is a necessity in other shooting disciplines such as benchrest, precision rifle, etc. but not necessary for the short distances we shoot. Knock yourself out if you wish but it isn't necessary for the game we play.

Pat

Even Winchester and Remington brass is far more consistant than I can shoot. My old AP gun just loved Remington brass. Much better than Winchester and Starline, so go figure.

I did it for my ISSF revolver and I just could not shoot as good as that thing grouped. My scores went down in fact as I got so disillusioned with the fact that I spent hours and hours on that brass, weiughed the bullets and powder on a RCBS 10-10 scale and my scores stayed the same. That load with a 148gr HBWC would group under 1/5" at 50M off a bag and we were shooting at 25M. It drove me insane.

way overkill for pistol in my opinion. there are websites that are very well respected among benchrest shooters that tout people that load their brass and shoot it at 600-1000 yards and win competitions. they win these competitions against people who hand sort their brass/bullets for weight. is it a variable that you are able to control? abolutely. is it worth the time sorting as opposed to practicing? absolutely not. please keep in mind this is just my opinion and i have nothing factual to base this on other than an extensive amount of reading.

Yea, I weigh bullets. I want my ammo to be perfect.

Match brass is new brass. I'm talking major match not monthly matches. Many years ago I received some Starline brass that measured .903 and .902 after sizing. I trimmed the brass to .890 and shot some groups. They were amazing to say the least. A few years ago I quit trimming but stayed with new brass. I recently had my gun rebarreled and the rounds were not going in all the way. I checked the case length and they were once again too long. I even had to go back and trim my practice brass. Tight chamber to say the least. I could have run the reamer in it again but the thing shoots very well. So now I am back to trimming again.

I also used to weigh cases. I believe it's more trouble than it's worth.

I believe if you keep bullets to within .1 grains, new cases of the same length and a powder measure set correctly you will have high quality ammo. I tested my powder measure by throwing 10 charges which at 4.7 grains would give me 47 grains. My measure was off and once adjusted it has been very consistant.

I load my pistol rounds as you would match rifle rounds. Everything must be concentric. This is only for extreme accuracy. USPSA and Steel rounds just get loaded. As long as it feeds, goes bang and ejects it's fine. I believe my match scores prove my theories.

Edited by Action Pistolero

With an 8" 10 ring just load and shoot the new brass. I dont see the point in weighing projies etc once the press is setup and the load passes chrono.

The poofteenth of an inch difference created by hours of weighing and measuring is nothing compared to a medium trigger snatch that will give you an 8 no matter how you prepared the ammo. More time on the range and less in the shed.

Having said that, my match brass is checked for cracks, primers checked for anvils and all ammo is chamber guaged. Silly jams can be avoided, trigger snatch can be reduced by practice, sothere is a balance between preparation and practice.