Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp switch out advice

Kyle O

Alright,

So I just got my brand new JP CTR-02 complete with their tactical comp.

I plan on trying this comp out, but I am also gonna try on a SJC Titan which I already have, and do some experimenting.

I do NOT want to start a which one is better thread, so lets not go there.

Now, I DO NOT want to screw up my new $3,000 rifle AT ALL! So, do I just clamp down the barrel and start wrenching? I've got a steel jawed vice (I know not to crunch down on the thing with this) but do I use some wood/plastic something to shield the barrel finish.

What's the method? I've just never changed comps out myself. Does JP put thread locker on their comp, do I need to heat it up a bit? Any thing at all that keeps this rifle good is the advice I'm looking for. Forgive my ignorance. :cheers:

thanks,

Clamp the upper receiver in the vice, not the barrel. You can use an upper receiver vice block. Heat up the comp and use a wooden dowel to pass through the baffles and it will turn off.

You have an 18" barrel, right? The JP 18" barrel is .875" and I believe the Titan is .750" so it will look a little funny because the barrel profile is greater then the comp, not much but there is a difference. Wont effect anything but cosmetics. Also, you will probably need a crush or peel washer to align the new comp and when or if you reinstall the original comp make sure you don't over-tighten it.

• 3 months later...

Had to use some heat to get it off, there was some kind of compound in the threads. Ordered a shim kit to fit the titan. Thanks for the advice.

So, was there any difference between the two comps?

Peel washers - there was an endeavor, lol. I had only used crush prior and was baffled for about 20 minutes. 2 decent slices on my thumb, a leatherman and a lighter later I finally figured out they do indeed peel :) Looks good though.

• 2 months later...

Almost there... :D

Had some family issues slowing me down, but things are coming along well. No timeframe yet, but sooner rather than later.

Erik

Erik,

Thanks for the update. Had a question for you -- is the design goal for your new 2-chamber comp simply to achieve the same performance of your current comp in a smaller package? (not to downplay the achievement, that would be awesome!) Or are there other pros/cons as compared to the current one?

Have one of your current Titans on hand and am just trying to make plans for the next build. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Almost there... :D

Had some family issues slowing me down, but things are coming along well. No timeframe yet, but sooner rather than later.

Erik

You know, just to help out..... I could help test one all you have to do is send one out! :cheers: :cheers:

I have been shooting a BC on a 18" mid gas and have been kind of disappointed with it (new build). Everything is JP parts with the exception of the expensive stuff (lower and barrel). I am down to trying the endine buffer and the SJC comp to see if either can help. Yes, I do have an adj. Gas block, in case anyone was wondering.

But, I was wondering what the dif. Is/will be between the two.

• 1 month later...