Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to start a ground up project

Jammer1911

Hello: What do you want to build? Caspian and STI make some great parts as well as SVI. It will depend on your build and budget. It will also depend on how much work you will be doing yourself. After we know that we can all give you what we think is best :devil: Thanks, Eric

I am wanting to build a ground up Single Stack and I plan on doing as much of the work myself. I also what to have the more conventional slide serrations at the rear only. I have tinker with my own pistols for some time and been a mechanic for many years.

Hello: You are going to need some machining skills to fit the slide and frame unless you buy a fitted kit. The Caspian parts are very well made and should suit your needs. They also offer lots of options. Saying that you could also go the STI route. Shooters Connection sells the STI stuff. If you can machine parts then you can install any slide cuts you may want. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I appreciate the advice Eric. I think I'll go with the Race Ready Caspian Slide and frame set. Any opinion on what the best Gunsmithing Vids to purchase or rent might be. I am not in a hurry with this project I plan on taking the time to do this right and build a quality pistol. What are some of the tools that I should get for this. I have a bench block, punch set, smithing screw driver set, Extractor adjustment tool and a dremel.

caspian makes great parts

1st off have them do all your machine work: sight cuts, fitted slide to frame, etc, and install the plunger tube and ejector

next most drop in parts, don't

you'll need a good vise, gunsmith file set, needle file set, stones, trigger jig, barrel lug cutter just to start

brownells has a few videos on the tools they sell on their website

now when you include the price of all that, plus the price of parts, and replacement parts for the parts you'll bugger up

you could have a smith build you one for the same amount of money

As I'm shopping for all mentioned above except a mill & grinder/polishing wheel, i can tell you it isn't cheap. Your looking at $1100 dollars for parts before boogering anything up. Unless you plan to build a lot of guns and plan to take a 1911 custom smithing course for $2500-4000+ lodging, transportation & meals. Most these courses are 6 days/nights, and you build a Caspian with quality parts and have a few options for a little extra. I am looking into Rodgers, Larry Vickers, & the cylinder & Slide course. Jack weigand used to teach the same class but more machine oriented. Now he teaches spring summer NRA gunsmithing clinics.

Watch their Foster website for a matched slide and frame. The fact you want standard serrations might work out to your benefit. You could probably pay them to machine the sight cuts in, then the major machine work would be done.

First off let me say thanks for the responses. It is truely appreciated. For the bigger tools such as mill and grinder polisher I have a friend with a machine shop. What is the Foster website? And should I call Caspian direct since thier website doesn't really help with Slide and frame kits? I know this is a big undertaking. and not as cheap as buying a complete pistol, but I think it will be a satisfying endeavor.

here's what i did. get the frame and slide matched from caspian. get all the cuts and machine work done there. have them stake the plunger tube and install the grip screw bushings. get all your sight cuts and beavertail cuts from them. then get a kart easyfit barrel fit that yourself. then install and fit everything else. and you have pretty much a very nice single stack.