Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45ACP Recipe for Gock 21

hankfan79

I am about to wander into the realm of reloading .45ACP for the Glock 21. I have a few questions that I have for the reloaders in this area.

I will be shooting lead round nose only. Mixed brass with Federal Primers.

Do you prefer the 200gr vs the 230gr and why?

I currently use N320 for 9mm but I am thinking of switching to Clays for the .45. Should I stay with N320?

What are some of your recipes? I am looking for 165-170PF for IDPA.

I have shot thousands of 200grn SWC through a Glock OEM barrel, all using Win231. My Glock is gone now and I have switched to 4.9grn of Titegroup for all of my .45. I have also had great success with WST and have used Clays but didn't care for it as much, it didn't meter as well. I originally switched from Win231 when I couldn't find it in stores, I can find it now but it is about $22/pound and I can buy Titegroup for $13/pound which is cheaper than Clays by $1+. Titegroup is also a smaller charge in grains, so a pound lasts longer. Basically Titegroup is cheaper and goes farther and I like that.

As far as 200gr versus 230gr, I shoot 200gr as it is cheaper than 230. As simple as that.

Titegroup and lead smokes like a locomotive in a tunnel.

I have shot thousands of 200grn SWC through a Glock OEM barrel, all using Win231. My Glock is gone now and I have switched to 4.9grn of Titegroup for all of my .45. I have also had great success with WST and have used Clays but didn't care for it as much, it didn't meter as well. I originally switched from Win231 when I couldn't find it in stores, I can find it now but it is about $22/pound and I can buy Titegroup for $13/pound which is cheaper than Clays by $1+. Titegroup is also a smaller charge in grains, so a pound lasts longer. Basically Titegroup is cheaper and goes farther and I like that.

As far as 200gr versus 230gr, I shoot 200gr as it is cheaper than 230. As simple as that.

4.5g of Red Dot or VV 310. Both shoots very clean. I get about 900 fps. The VV 310 meters really good. The red dot cost about 10 dollars cheaper. I shoot 200g swc.

Edited by Shield

As stated in original post...

I am looking for shooters using LEAD ROUND NOSE only.

Any reason I should switch from N320 to Clays or just use N320?

Clays is a good powder in 45, but I think you will get less smoke with 320. I like the 200 45lc bullet from S&S casting or their 230 gr RN bullets.

• 2 months later...

320 is not as good as Clays in the 45. it may not smoke as much but the trade off is more powder, more expensive powder and dirtier burn as it doesnt clean up until you get near 190 pf with lead bullets.

if you must burn VV powder, N310.

if your looking for the least smoke with lead bullets WST.

if you want the most smoke: TiteGroup.

• 3 weeks later...

Per the recommendation of Harmon... I found this to be a good recipe:

G21SF

230 gr LRN

3.8 Clays

mixed brass

CCI primer

OAL- 1.22" (shorter only because of the "lip" on the cast bullets I had)

250 round zero FTF or malfunction