Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hammer grip

Field

its one of those odd things that you hear and read about but it takes you a little longer to actually learn it for yourself

just doing some static target shooting at the range freestyle/strong and weak handed

while shooting strong hand i had the gun at extension and see it shaking slightly because of how hard i am gripping it, you grip it hard because you beleive it will keep the sights from moving as much and from the gun flopping around.

i held it there and loosened my grip and allowed the gun to be very still in my hand, while shooting i let it move around a bit more, i dont know if 'sloppy' is the right word, but 'more relaxed.'

i just saw those groups tighten right up, its one of those dumb things where you already kind of know it but then you just see the evidence in front of your face

then the phrase 'hold it like a hammer' of course came to my mind

I have found that by increasing my hand strength, the quality of my grip has skyrocketed. Based on my training with the Captains of Crush Grippers, my 100% pressure grip was 100#. Now I'm gripping harder with less effort. I started with a trainer grip at 100#. I couldn't barely close it. Now I'm doing 30 reps with it.

I advanced to the #1 then the 1.5 at 167.5#, which I can now close. So I've increased my max pressure by 60%.

Worth the work.

I call this the "Yeah Yeah I know" phenomenon. If you look at all the little details, grip, stance, shooting points, all the little stuff that we know to do, you can almost write a couple of pages on each of those little details. But until you realize that "hey thats what they meant about the grip", that it actually sinks in, like it did for you. never be a "yeah Yeah" type person, when someone says something that helped them. Look at it, study it, try it, you never know it may turn on other light bulbs to help your game.

a couple of weeks ago i had a range session with a friend who is at best a casual shooter(makes it out tothe range once or twice a yr) he wanted to compare my G19 vs. his G23 for a possible trade, so he has shot oooh 100 rds thru both an his groups are ok...then i hand him my open gun w/ a very light trigger and he says he cant pull the trigger??? then i watch him from the side and he has a 'death grip' on the thing, all the muscles in his arm are flexed and ridgid, yeah, so i tell him, to back off the trigger and to RELAX his grip because basically by gripping the crap out of the gun(me thinks he mite have been a combination of intimidated by it and tired from the other stuff) he lost fine motor control of his trigger finger, me personally its a no brainer, but to see it in a novice is an eye opener

I have found that by increasing my hand strength, the quality of my grip has skyrocketed. Based on my training with the Captains of Crush Grippers, my 100% pressure grip was 100#. Now I'm gripping harder with less effort. I started with a trainer grip at 100#. I couldn't barely close it. Now I'm doing 30 reps with it.

I advanced to the #1 then the 1.5 at 167.5#, which I can now close. So I've increased my max pressure by 60%.

Worth the work.

Good stuff Seth.

When I was still working full time as a mechanic, I had crushing grip. So when I started shooting full time, I had to do some serious grip strengthening excercises to get my grip back. But I don't feel it was ever as strong as it was as when I was mechanic.

be

Worth the work.

Good stuff Seth.

When I was still working full time as a mechanic, I had crushing grip. So when I started shooting full time, I had to do some serious grip strengthening excercises to get my grip back. But I don't feel it was ever as strong as it was as when I was mechanic.

be

When I wrenched I noticed that too, plus you already had skateboard tape for skin. Also fore arm tone was much better.

I'm not a very brawny guy,6'1" about 180lbs.

I spent about 8 years as a farrier(horse shoer) and I can tell you this. You had better develop a grip DAMN FAST!!!

Imagine 1200 lbs of animal trying to yank it's foot out between your knees after you just drove a very sharp pointy nail out the side of it's hoof and it's pointed right back between your legs.

Gives a whole new meaning to "self preservation"

Mildot1