Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Spartan . . . essential upgrades?

Pro2AInPA

Picked up a lightly used Spartan in .45 from the local shop. It's going to be my single stack gun.

So far, I know the thing needs a trigger job badly, it needs a magwell, and it needs a slimmer front sight.

Magwell - Techwell ordered. The MSH seems to hang below the frame a bit though, which I think is going to cause issues with the Techwell. Can I just sand the MSH so it fits flush with the bottom of the frame?

Sight - Dawson has two different height replacement Spartan fronts. .185 and .205, how do I know which one to choose?

Trigger job - I'll be getting one of the SV triggers with the interchangeable inserts. I'll order one of those and send the gun off to have the trigger brought to around 2.5#.

I think that'll get me close to where I want to be. Anything else you Spartan owners have found should be done to these guns?

Edited by Pro2AInPA

If you feel comfortable doing the work yourself, try putting a Infinity titanium tri-glide sear spring in. I have been able to get a 2-2.5lbs trigger pull with just installing the Infinity sear spring on several 1911s with just the factory ignition parts.

Yes, you should be able to remove enough material from the MSH that the Techwell fits. I like the Ed Brown mag release button, but that's just me...the one that doesn't stick out too far, and isn't ridiculously larger in diameter. Replacing the rear sight hinge pin is also a smart idea...a roll pin or drill rod will last forever. If you can buy a spare rear sight elevation screw, that's a good part to keep in the bag as they do seem to fail more than the original BoMar screws did. I'd also swap the mainspring for a 19lb version, and maybe drop down to a lighter recoil spring (can't recall what they use from the factory). R,

Yes, you should be able to remove enough material from the MSH that the Techwell fits. I like the Ed Brown mag release button, but that's just me...the one that doesn't stick out too far, and isn't ridiculously larger in diameter. Replacing the rear sight hinge pin is also a smart idea...a roll pin or drill rod will last forever. If you can buy a spare rear sight elevation screw, that's a good part to keep in the bag as they do seem to fail more than the original BoMar screws did. I'd also swap the mainspring for a 19lb version, and maybe drop down to a lighter recoil spring (can't recall what they use from the factory). R,

Thanks for the input Bart. I forgot to mention that I did replace the recoil spring with a 12lb Wolff and I have an Ed Brown mag release on order.

Hello: I use a 14lb ISMI recoil spring and a 17lb ISMI mainspring. I also changed out the sear spring for a Ed Brown(original broke). Dawson fiber front sight and magwell. Wilson mag release. Horned lizard grips with cut for mag release. Rabbit ear rear sight and added "Eric's Arrow" on the top of the slide :cheers: I also had to take a little off the grip safety to make it release sooner. The trigger is just abot 2 1/4lbs with just using the sear spring and light stoning on the sear. I use 200 grain bullets and Clays powder. Thanks, Eric

So just installing a new sear spring is all that's needed to lighten the trigger? :unsure:

It really depends on the geometry between the hammer hooks and the sear. If they're really good, a sear spring change/adjustment will make a big difference in the trigger pull weight. If they're off, you can't lighten up on the sear spring adjustments enough to get a light trigger that's also safe/reliable. The tri-glide reduces friction, and that helps lower the pull weight, but I don't have them in any of my guns. R,

Seems like you already took care of the magwell, but if you hadn't I would recommend the Dawson Precision Ice magwell. I installed that in my STI and it fit with no adjustments needed and works great. I like it because of the faster reloads with it and it gives a place for my support hand to rest on when i'm gripping the gun.

Seems like you already took care of the magwell, but if you hadn't I would recommend the Dawson Precision Ice magwell. I installed that in my STI and it fit with no adjustments needed and works great. I like it because of the faster reloads with it and it gives a place for my support hand to rest on when i'm gripping the gun.

I've shot a friend's 1911 with the Techwell XT and loved it. So I think I'll be happy. :cheers:

Aftec... Aftec... Aftec... .180 high front sight. Mine had a recoilmaster. I tossesd it & bought a tungsten guide rod for personal taste. Wilson 47d or cobra mags w bumpers. Done.

I put 200 rounds through it today with no issues. I don't see any need to pay to have an Aftec extractor fitted?

I change out all my Stock extractors with a pre fitted aftec, and hold on to the stock for a spare. I used to run factory til it either breaks or straightens and replaced it. Now I buy the aftec and have a spare just in case. I have broken the hook of an aftec and was able to replace it w the stock extractor and keep playing. Just something to think about.

Aftec... Aftec... Aftec... .180 high front sight. Mine had a recoilmaster. I tossesd it & bought a tungsten guide rod for personal taste. Wilson 47d or cobra mags w bumpers. Done.

I put 200 rounds through it today with no issues. I don't see any need to pay to have an Aftec extractor fitted?

I put an AFTEC in every 1911/2011 I own. I've had a standard extractor die on me early on in the life of a new gun...not likely with an AFTEC. The one thing is they're long, so you have to trim the back to get it flush with the slide. I get mine close with a disc sander and then finish with a dremel and polishing wheel. R,

Edit to add: With the Techwell XT you're going to need long basepads. I put the largest Wilson pads on, and they were still a little too short, so I trimmed the bottom of the XT until I could seat the mags easier (used a vertical belt sander and disc sander).

Edited by G-ManBart

As I said, get yourself some tall bumper base pads or "shim" em & use longer hardware.

I wasn't posting about your comment, and I don't think anybody else did, but a Wilson 47D just barely clears the bottom of a Techwell XT....any longer and it won't fit the box. For folks with meaty hands, it's probably okay, but with normal sized hands, it's an iffy thing seating mags on the move with the mag barely protruding. I know more than a few folks that have shortened up an XT for this very reason. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

First thing I did on mine, I installed new mag release - extended one with a button - made huge difference in mag changes speed and comfort.

Triggers also come in diff lenghts, pick one that fits you and your trigger finger the best.