Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Measure Issues on 550

Hello,

I was loading some ammo on my 550 last night and noticed the measure's operation was very gritty and making noise. The powder bar will not return back under spring pressure, it takes some downwards pressure on the failsafe rod to have it return to its rest position. Until today, I've never had a problem with it outside of cleaning it every now and then.

I took the thing apart to see if it needed cleaning, and found that part #13848 (Bellcrank Bushing) is cracked. Nothing else seems amiss. Lots of wear marks, but that's about it.

I am going to pick up a new powder measure tommorow at my FLGS who is a Dillon Dealer. I've wanted another for a long time, so I'm using this as an excuse.

However,I would like to get the original measure running again. My original thought was to replace the part I know is broken and see what happens, but I wonder if it should get some more help than that. This measure has well over 150k (and probably over 200k) rounds through it in 13 years and I was wondering if it's something I can get Dillon to take a look at and/or repair. It is a little beat and the screws that clamp it to the die are rounded off from years of caliber changes.

Thanks,

Ted

I would call Dillon and request replacement parts for everything that is worn. If you send it in, request that they just rebuild it keeping the spring return otherwise they may replace it with the new ker-chunky powder measure. Of course if you don't mind the ker-chunky measure, then the above doesn't apply.

Ted,

'cause it really clunks during actuation.....

The older measures were smoother. The new ones are supposed to be safer....

And throw more consistent charges.

be

And I think it's the kerchunk that makes it throw more consistent charges. I guess the kerchunk shakes the powder bar, settling the powder in the bar better.

The guy at my gun shop (king shooter supplies) had the parts to fix my powder measure. I bought a new measure anyway, as I've wanted a spare. Seems the new measure has a different fail safe rod, so I'll have to get one from Dillon, but I'm happy to have an extra powder measure otherwise.

Ted