Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Enos Forums. New to USPSA.

JDucros

Hello all! I am new to these forums and new to USPSA. I'm a lifetime shooter and hunter. I've got a coworker/buddy who is teaching me how to reload and train for USPSA.

Right now the big question for me is which gun to use. I'll be starting off in production class with a 9mm. I've narrowed down my gun options to the Sig Sauer p226 Elite, Glock 17, or possibly the Glock 34.

I've rented the above as well as the Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Beretta 92, H&K USP, Walther P99 and a few others. Of all those I am most comfortable and most accurate with the Sig Sauer p226 and Glock 17. I'm leaning more towards the Sig Sauer because of it's top to bottom weight, it just feels better in my hand.

Any opinions y'all may have on those two firearms would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to helping out here and being helped out. I've read some of the posts for a few weeks and am pleased with the atmosphere here.

Peace,

-James Ducros

Austin, Tx

Hello all! I am new to these forums and new to USPSA. I'm a lifetime shooter and hunter. I've got a coworker/buddy who is teaching me how to reload and train for USPSA.

Right now the big question for me is which gun to use. I'll be starting off in production class(division) with a 9mm. I've narrowed down my gun options to the Sig Sauer p226 Elite, Glock 17, or possibly the Glock 34.

I've rented the above as well as the Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Beretta 92, H&K USP, Walther P99 and a few others. Of all those I am most comfortable and most accurate with the Sig Sauer p226 and Glock 17. I'm leaning more towards the Sig Sauer because of it's top to bottom weight, it just feels better in my hand.

Any opinions y'all may have on those two firearms would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to helping out here and being helped out. I've read some of the posts for a few weeks and am pleased with the atmosphere here.

Peace,

-James Ducros

Austin, Tx

Welcome to the forums! As far as gun options, I myself like an all metal gun (but shoot an XDM in production division, go figure!), so my choice between the ones you mentioned would be the SIG (I also have issues with the grip angle of the Glock, so there is that). The Glock is probably the widest used gun in production (the G34 model is probably the leader in that respect). You can do some internal mods to the gun in production division, and the Glock obviously has the lead in that respect, as it has been around a long time and many shooters use them. The best answer that you can get is, shoot what feels best to you. But take into consideration the availability of parts, mags, mag holders, etc., that you will need for the sport.

PS. shooters are class, guns are divisions....production division, open division, L10 division, etc.

I use to shoot a XDM then a Glock 34 in production now I shoot a CZ Shadow Custom and by far its the most accurate, comfortable and less felt recoil production gun I have shot. If you can find a place that has a CZ Shadow I HIGHLY recommend holding one. Its a all metal gun and the weight makes the 9mm feel like a 22 mag lol. Iam just so happy with mine I want to pass on the word to people like me who didnt know much about CZ until I bought one now I wont put it down. MY Glock 34 is great but no where near as accurate or comfortable as the CZ. The Glock is very reliable but so is my CZ not a hicup yet. I like the SIG's but just dont like the bore axis height personally. If you had time to come down to San antonio this weekend you could shoot my CZ and see what Iam talking about. :cheers: Grumpy knows what Iam talking about lol.

Edited by G34 CORDY

I use to shoot a XDM then a Glock 34 in production now I shoot a CZ Shadow Custom and by far its the most accurate, comfortable and less felt recoil production gun I have shot. If you can find a place that has a CZ Shadow I HIGHLY recommend holding one. Its a all metal gun and the weight makes the 9mm feel like a 22 mag lol. Iam just so happy with mine I want to pass on the word to people like me who didnt know much about CZ until I bought one now I wont put it down. MY Glock 34 is great but no where near as accurate or comfortable as the CZ. The Glock is very reliable but so is my CZ not a hicup yet. I like the SIG's but just dont like the bore axis height personally. If you had time to come down to San antonio this weekend you could shoot my CZ and see what Iam talking about. :cheers: Grumpy knows what Iam talking about lol.

Grumpy tried to get you to listen many, many moons ago.....How you doing with that CZ anyway? Started worrying about split times and seconds yet? :roflol:

The CZ is a wonderful pistol, heavy enough to lighten percieved recoil, light enough to transition between targets easily, reliable, many parts available for it, and a well proven platform, (and all metal!).

Edited by GrumpyOne

Yes Grumpy my times have got better since the switch to the CZ because Iam more comfortable with it than the others lol. Give it a try it wont let you down. Grumpy (TRIED) to get me to try a CZ but I didnt listen to try some things myself and ended up with the CZ and now I wont look back now when money allows I would love to have a CZ Tactical Sport to try Limited. Iam loving those CZ'S!!! :D

Right now the big question for me is which gun to use. I'll be starting off in production class with a 9mm. I've narrowed down my gun options to the Sig Sauer p226 Elite, Glock 17, or possibly the Glock 34.

Peace,

-James Ducros

Austin, Tx

welcome aboard.

for production, dont forget the shadow, once tuned well, it is a premium shooter ,unbeatable for the value.

but i admit i'm a glock fan first, i love shooting my G17 at the match as well,but the trigger on my shadow give me an edge, altough very suggestive ,each is own.

Why the double post? :unsure:

I was having trouble with my router and assumed that the post did not go through. When I got the router working again I hit the submit button again hence the double post.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the great information!

Cordy, I just might take you up on that offer some day. When I make it down to a match in San Antonio I will let you know before hand.

I think that for now I am going to stick with the Glock 17. I am very familiar with it and it seems the most reasonable as far as price and parts availability.

Thanks again guys!

-James

If your buying a Glock you should get the Glock 34 if you can. Alittle longer sight radius and longer barrel.

If you are gonna go Glock, the G35 is a better choice. 40S&W can be loaded down for minor, can be loaded up for major, you could have a production, Limited, and L-10 gun all in one.

I hear that glocks can swop parts is that tru? if so can you sop between the 35 & 34? would that disqualify the shooter? just curious!

Yes, they can swap parts (to some degree) and yes it wouldn't be production legal. The G35 can be made into a G34 with a barrel and mags, but the G34 can't be made into a G35.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear that glocks can swop parts is that tru? if so can you sop between the 35 & 34? would that disqualify the shooter? just curious!

Yes, they can swap parts (to some degree) and yes it wouldn't be production legal. The G35 can be made into a G34 with a barrel and mags, but the G34 can't be made into a G35.

It was confirmed to me by G34Cordy that A Glock 34 slide and barrel will fit on a Glock 17 frame. Also, the Glock 34 and Glock 35 extended slide release and extended magazine release will fit on most other glocks.