Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

14.5 Inch Or 16 Inch Barrel For The Smm3g?

bthp

I want any competitor of mine to have the shortest barrel possible.

Nice guy you are Mr. Neal ;) I'm not in the same league as you and the likes of kurtm, so I'll bring my 20" AR just to be sure. BTW, I now use A1 stock on my AR, ala ToddS, but I am careful enough to not have anyone's wife name carved/painted on it :lol: See you in a few weeks!

There will be a stock inspection at Mystery Mountain 3 Gun, starting with Todd.

I've given up on promoting the 20 in AR. From now on I'm recommending 16 inches or shorter if you can get it. 11.5 preferably. You can't win without an 11.5 inch barrel.

But don't worry about me me in Tactical, I'm shooting He-man!

Unfortunately, the 14.5 and the 16 are all I have to choose from. I will use a ACOG NSN model scope and Federal Match 69 Grn BTHP. Which still leaves me with the question for those who have shot the match before - Would you shoot a free floated 14.5 inch barreled upper with an effective brake or a 16 inch traditional handguard barreled upper with a less effective brake?

Thanks for the input. I just don't have an 18 or 20 inch barreled upper for the match.

With that load, you should not have any trouble making the minor power floor with either, so that's a wash.

Sight radius is a non-issue since you're using an ACOG.

Which one moves the least when you shoot it? I'd go for the one that moves the least, which I am guessing would be the 14.5 inch with the better comp/brake since the difference in weight is probably negligible. The freefloat can't hurt either.

Just make sure you can make minor and go with the one that shoots the best for you.

A year or two ago some of the "little bird" pilots came and played at SMM3G. As I recall one of them used his work gun, or one like it with 77gr bullets. It knocked down every thing he shot it at so I guess I wouldn't worry to much about it. Shoot the flat one.

Kelly, I am tring to work up a 11.5 inch .308 M1A but can't seem to get the op rod to work. If I do I will drop into IronMan myself, just to watch you laugh :P KURTM

Back to the original question, I would shoot whichever is more reliable (first and foremost) and comfortable. If they both work, and IF the 14.5 is less violent due to the comp, go with it. If not, go with the 16. 1.5 inches is not going to matter in terms of handibility etc.

There is no power factor at any match other than USPSA 3 Gun nationals so I would not shoot the 69 grainers for that reason. I would shoot it for other reasons though: accuracy, energy down range, and wind resistance being among them. BUT since shots at SMM3G tend to be close, wind resistance is not really a factor like at RM3G. I think I would shoot 40 grainers at SMM3G if I was shooting tactical class (which is what I shot last year) or even 35 grainers.

What twist is your barrel? I know 69's function in 1-9 twist but 1-7 may be better. Also I would check out the federal match against other ammo. I had accuracy problems (believe it or not!) with the Federal Match 69's in a 1-9 twist 16" gun. I shot 55 AE223 and it was more accurate! I was told the Federal Match .223 69gr is built for bolt guns. The ammo I had you could, with not much pressure, push the bullet into the case. Maybe feeding into a semi affected the accuracy, who knows. I would go with Black Hills 69gr bullets since they crimp them more if you are into 69gr bullets and that ammo in 69gr I know works!. Keep in mind alot of these folks are ragging you alittle becuase of the problem a shorter barrel has knocking down steel LaRue targets at further distances becuase of the loss of velocity. I have no idea if the 69gr bullet you want to use would eliminate the problem of having lower velocity in a shorter barrel but I would check it out! Anybody out there that can help this guy to find out if a 69gr bullet out of a 14.5" or 16" barrel will knock over a LaRue at 300-350 yards reliably? Has anyone had the balls to try it besides this guy? I haven't............yet.

Good Luck and have fun at the match. Remember you learn something everytime you compete. If you pay attention and take something not working as a lesson (whether it be equiptment or your method of engagement) you can do nothing but get better!

Guy Hawkins