Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why some dislike 38 A P brass?

Foxbat

I think it was back in 2004 that I bought 2000 of them, new. I had to de-burr the case mouths, and they were just crap to load. I thought that maybe they would be o.k. after being fired once, but, I tried a few, and just scrapped the whole lot.

I'd been told that there were good lots, and bad lots out there. Apparently, I got some from a bad batch. Nothing but Starline for me anymore in .38 SC!

They took more effort to resize than starline, hornady, etc. I would also get a couple of split cases (not at the mouth but in the middle of the case) per hundred after every firing, including the first. Got tired of looking for split cases or having to pull the bullet when I found one after it had been loaded.

Thank you guys! I have a bag of "once fired" that I have been using along with other makes, and like as said - I have not noticed any difference so far, even after several reloads. I will check on the lettering!

I use Armscor for 'mud matches', as Alamoshooter said.

The reason for me is its premature rate of primer pocket expansion.

And no, I don't load to 180 PF.(I'm, usually between 169-173).

After 2-3 reloads, I've noticed primers are sticking out of the pocket.

In a hundred rounds of loaded ammo, the average I see with this issue is about 5.

e

I bought a bushell basket of NEW Armscor last year at greatly reduced pricing and have found out several things about it.

1. I've not had any of the problems people have discussed for the first 5 or 6 loadings, maybe more. After that I start having cases split all the way from the web to the mouth.

2. The stuff that's marked AP 38 RL is identical to Super Comp, the stuff marked AP 38 (no RL) is identical to TJ.

3. The primer pockets are not a tight as Starline but has not been an issue. The cases split before the pockets get so worn that the primers get loose. Wolf primers are much harder to seat in Starline.

If you buy it at the right price it's OK. If you pay Starline prices just buy Starline, you'll be able to use it longer.

I had 5k of RL chrome way back(was cheaper)....it was hard to load on my 1050(new case), and a lot of cases splitting after the first load (for IPSC) What I did next was to get 10K of Starline SC and never look back...

Don't me wrong it fire the same (well almost)....just a pain to load and lots of case splitting, loose primers ect so we end up using at for big match...and I tell the RO you can have all our shinny brass :devil: (there were lost brass match anyway)

But the may have change and are better now?? no way for me to tell....don't see why I would change to them now..

Edited by dansy