Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 Tools?

carbon9

Hey, I am going to be buying tools for building a stripped lower and rather then buy a complete ready to go "tool kit" I would rather buy the tools which really work and last. I have found with "hobby specific tool kits" purchased in the past quality isn't usually there and I have ended up with tools I never use. I would like to know specific sizes, brands, lists, preferences and opinions. From blocks, punches, files, to stones as long as they are genuinely useful and good quality. Anything and everything, the more info the better. Tips and "tricks of the trade"(have fun with that one) are welcome as well. It would be nice to be able to fix small things at a match or on my own. I'm sure I will put together my own upper someday as well, feel free to include tools for it also.

Thank you.

g

If you are building a stripped lower, you definitely need a set of roll punches and may find a roll punch starter worth the price as well. I hate buying really specialized tools that you only need a few times, but you can regret not having these.

Also a light hammer like a small ball peen is handy. Everything you do is tap, tap, tap, not Bang, Bang, Bang.

If you have a vise, there is a block that fits into the receiver that is worth it's weight in gold.

If you are building a stripped lower, you definitely need a set of roll punches and may find a roll punch starter worth the price as well. I hate buying really specialized tools that you only need a few times, but you can regret not having these.

Also a light hammer like a small ball peen is handy. Everything you do is tap, tap, tap, not Bang, Bang, Bang.

If you have a vise, there is a block that fits into the receiver that is worth it's weight in gold.

+100

having the proper tools, makes the job much easier without damaging to the gun. somthing to hold the reciver is definately worth its weight in gold. Can you do the job without all the proper tools? yes. But if you value the quality of your ar, its worth investing, especially if you plan on doing more builds.

Perfectly stated.

I would recommend having someone to help you start the roll pins, if you have not installed many of them before this. Basically you would run the hammer and punch and someone else to hold the pin with pliers.

best of luck

As mentioned already, roll pin starters, punches, and a small hammer (or handle of a screwdriver...). I also bought a combo wrench for tightening the castle nut for the stock tube and torqueing the barrel. I made do without the lower receiver block, but bought one to assemble the upper receiver (almost a must for torqueing the barrel). Misc Allen wrenches and the afore mentioned screwdriver, but you probably already have those, don't you?

I bought most of my tools from Brownells. Come to think of it, Brownells also has some pretty good videos on their website for putting together an AR. They'll also list the tools you'll need conveniently enough!

Lastly, a good vice is helpful, but I already had one of those...

Good luck!

For lowers, be sure to have something to support the ears of the trigger guard, otherwise you'll break them off. I use a roll of electrical tape. But yeah, hammer, punches, and a castle nut wrench will get a lower built. A center punch is handy for staking the castle nut.

For an upper, get some action blocks, an armorers wrench, a torque wrench, and a punch small enough for the gas tube pin. A crescent wrench is handy for flash hiders too.

Depending on how particular you are, a MOACKS will be good for staking your carrier key.

For lowers, be sure to have something to support the ears of the trigger guard, otherwise you'll break them off. I use a roll of electrical tape. But yeah, hammer, punches, and a castle nut wrench will get a lower built. A center punch is handy for staking the castle nut.

For an upper, get some action blocks, an armorers wrench, a torque wrench, and a punch small enough for the gas tube pin. A crescent wrench is handy for flash hiders too.

Depending on how particular you are, a MOACKS will be good for staking your carrier key.

Also having a stop block that inserts into the magwell from the top. Like this one. Makes testing the trigger group less stressful. The hammer hits the stop and you won't have to worry about pounding the back of the magwell. (Go ahead, ask me how I know that this is not for happy making. :angry2: )

For lowers, be sure to have something to support the ears of the trigger guard, otherwise you'll break them off.  I use a roll of electrical tape.  But yeah, hammer, punches, and a castle nut wrench will get a lower built.  A center punch is handy for staking the castle nut.

For an upper, get some action blocks, an armorers wrench, a torque wrench, and a punch small enough for the gas tube pin.  A crescent wrench is handy for flash hiders too.

Also having a stop block that inserts into the magwell from the top. Like this one.  Makes testing the trigger group less stressful.  The hammer hits the stop and you won't have to worry about pounding the back of the magwell. (Go ahead, ask me how I know that this is not for happy making. :angry2: )

Meh, it's $25.99 + shipping. You can make one out of some scrap wood easy enough. Not as durable, but how many are you building. 

But yes, you want something to absorb the shock when testing the trigger group. 

Thank you everybody, you have been most helpful. thread drift. raz-0, is that your cat in your avatar? My wife is a

Sphynx fanatic. She is actually in process of doing a photo book. Best thing aside from their personalities is no Lint Roller or brush needed.