Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob magazine question

kj4cwa

I have an STI in 9mm and bought the Tripp Research Cobra mags for it. They run flawlessly. I also have one Wilson Combat ETM 9mm mag which didn't run in my STI, so it is now my Barney mag.

If your talking .45, I've had good luck with the Wilsons and the Nighthawk magazines through my Nighthawk Talon.

Good luck with the new purchase, I'm sure you'll love it.

Mike

Chip McCormick mags run really well for me either the Power Mags or his older Shooting Stars. Some people have had his base pads, which are the Shaw type, make an SS too big for the box I've heard but haven't seen for myself.

Myself and some of the other SS guys that shoot .45 are running the ETM's with great success in a variety of guns. I don't have any experience with the 47D mags. Wilsons customer service is hard to beat also. A lot of guys around here also swear by tripp mags. Maybe lurk around with the search option.

It seems like it is hard to go wrong with 1911 mags in .45 acp. When you start talking about 9mm or .40SW mags, that's when different brands start to stand out from the others...

For my .45's, I have a modest collection of CMC PowerMags, CMC Shooting Star, Wilson, and one lonely ACT mag. They all seem to work just fine. I think the Shooting Star mags are the cheapest, and they fit inside the box largely because the front of the basepad is angled. If it was square I don't think it would fit. I've had to replace the springs on a few, but the rest keep chugging along.

If you're shooting SSTK div, you're going to want a handful of mags -7 or 8 at a minimum, 10 is better.

Cheers

Tripp, Wilson, CMC in no particular order. no real reason to look much further than these 3 :)

+1

I would give Wilson the edge as they're really easy to deal with if you ever have a problem with the mag (not that the other two aren't, I just haven't experienced it). R,

I'll bring my CMC Shooting Stars and Tripp tomorrow so you can try them out. The springs in the CMC probably need replacing as Boopsie has been feeding poorly lately. Other than that they should do fine. Just don't shoot to slide lock. ;)

Leam