Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major - Best Powders

Hi-Power Jack

I've been using 7.3grs of Auto Comp & 125gr Hornady HAP's out of a shorty. My only issue is the brass is junk after that, it gets bulg at the back of the case. I'm going to try out some 3N38 & see how it works out.

Does everyone have this issue ?

I've been using 7.3grs of Auto Comp & 125gr Hornady HAP's out of a shorty. My only issue is the brass is junk after that, it gets bulg at the back of the case. I'm going to try out some 3N38 & see how it works out.

Does everyone have this issue ?

It's your barrel.

I run Silhouette.

My data dosent show any real temp sensitivity.

But then I dont shoot when its frezzing or incenerating outside.

48 to 81 it is fairly consistent.

I believe they meant below 32 F. and above 90 F.?

I use Silhouette. Wolf small rifle primers 7.9 grains and a MG 121ifp for 172 pf. I have to bump the load for the nationals. At the 09 nats I was 165.1 and sweating. I would just pick one of the mentioned powders that is easy for you to get and use it.

7.5gr Silhouette w/124gr MTG CMJ set 1.165 w/CCI Small Pistol Magnum Primers or Win SPM 1388 fps Avg. at 80 degrees. It is reverse temp sensitive same load at 35 is 184pf and 100 drops to 165. I use 7.6 or 7.7 in hot weather > 100.. 5.4" Schumann barrel 1/32 twist no holes. Magnum primers seem to keep the gun cleaner. Alternate loads 7.0gr AutoComp or 8.1gr HS6. These all perform very similarly.

I haven't had enought experience too use all the powders mentioned but, I didn't care for the HS-6. That dirtied up my gun so quick. I then tried tight group and it was not right either. For the last 2 years I've used N350 and I'm very happy with its preformance and it's pretty reasonable to make major.

Ron, have u loaded Sil to shorter...say 1.155-1.158 OAL's (Open Glock) and if so howd it do?

Jim

I've run some at 1.160 and that is the CMJ bullets which are essentially round nose, and they were fine just a few fps faster. If I load Zero JHP's I can only get 1.45 in the gun and I had some issues feeding so I just went RN and saved all the JHP's for my 38SC. My load is a bit lighter than most as I use magnum primers and I have fast Clark barrels.

Think I have some. I'll start at ~7grns and go from there. Thanks!

Save some trips to the range. I start at a conservative load and then load 10 or 20 at .2gr increments. Like 7.0 7.2 7.4... I shoot the lowest ones over the crono and before I move to the next load I figure the PF. When I hit 170 I stop, take all the ones that were loaded hotter and put them in the tear down bucket. If I hit pressure signs I also stop and dispose of any loaded hotter. It is important to know when to stop. My load in hot weather with small pistol primers is 7.7gr. When I get a new 4# jug I do a crono session to make sure the lot didn't mess with me. I also always crono before major matches and try to anticipate the temprature. I took my hot weather load to the Gator and it was about 40 when I hit the crono and they were 180pf.

I've been using 7.3grs of Auto Comp & 125gr Hornady HAP's out of a shorty. My only issue is the brass is junk after that, it gets bulg at the back of the case. Does everyone have this issue ?

I tried 3500 rounds of 7.2 gr WAC and 124 MG JHP's thru my 5.4" TruBor

and had two case separations - the bulge at the back of the case

blew thru - real scary - one got me a 0 for the COF since I couldn't

complete the COF - got the gun going again to complete the match, and

no damage that I can see to the gun, mags or me.

Oops, these were loaded in range brass at 1.17" OAL.

Oops, these were loaded in range brass at 1.17" OAL.

Theres the problem. "range brass". I can't see why someone would choose to reload 9mm brass multiple times.

I load 7.4grn WAC with MG121 at 1.165 COL for 170pf with federal small rifle primers. Once fired brass!

That's in an SV IMM shorty.

Edited by RoryW

Jack,

if you can get your hands on a little bit of Longshot, you may want to try that, too.

Powder lots vary so you have to chrono every lot but it is supposedly heat insensitive, leaves space in the case and shoots pretty soft.

I had two lots and needed 7.3 and 7.9 grains under a 124MT Gold CMJ, with Winchester SPR, at 1.170"OAL, for a 168 or so PF.

Jack,

if you can get your hands on a little bit of Longshot, you may want to try that, too.

Powder lots vary so you have to chrono every lot but it is supposedly heat insensitive, leaves space in the case and shoots pretty soft.

I had two lots and needed 7.3 and 7.9 grains under a 124MT Gold CMJ, with Winchester SPR, at 1.170"OAL, for a 168 or so PF.

Thanks Amish, but I just ordered a year's supply of the WAC.

Maybe I'll try Longshot next year - thanks for the advice.

Jack

Think I have some. I'll start at ~7grns and go from there. Thanks!

Save some trips to the range. I start at a conservative load and then load 10 or 20 at .2gr increments. Like 7.0 7.2 7.4... I shoot the lowest ones over the crono and before I move to the next load I figure the PF. When I hit 170 I stop, take all the ones that were loaded hotter and put them in the tear down bucket. If I hit pressure signs I also stop and dispose of any loaded hotter. It is important to know when to stop.

Exactly how I worked up my HS-6 load. If Sil is cleaner, significantly so, I'll switch. Married only to a pretty blonde. wink.gif

Jack,

Jack

I am currently using WAC, too. Like it and it's consistent so far. Just have to fine tune the load to cut down on dot movement.

Jack,

Jack

I am currently using WAC, too. Like it and it's consistent so far. Just have to fine tune the load to cut down on dot movement.

What quantity of WAC are you currently using? Jack