Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Michigan Seciton video critique

Corey

I wanted to post some videos from the Michigan sectional a couple weeks ago in the hopes of getting some more outside opinions on what Im doing right and wrong. I feel like Ive progressed over the season in general, but need a little help taking the next step. Let me know what you think!!! :cheers:

1:

2:

From my own quick, simple looks i can tell i need to be more explosive on my movements, especially if I'm not shooting on the move. Reloads when moving also need to be finished a lot quicker. im taking too long to get them done. What else is out there for me?!?! :sight:

more in the following posts...

Edited by Corey

Corey

I hope your not posting these vids,

so you can win the race to a class.

if so , your moving and shooting way to fast. slow down check the tgts for holes before you move on.

when you seat a mag unseat it and reseat it to make sure its seated.

you can cut some time by acquiring the next tgt before you finish shooting the first tgt. :roflol:

Corey

I hope your not posting these vids,

so you can win the race to a class.

if so , your moving and shooting way to fast. slow down check the tgts for holes before you move on.

when you seat a mag unseat it and reseat it to make sure its seated.

you can cut some time by acquiring the next tgt before you finish shooting the first tgt. :roflol:

:roflol: :roflol:

1. Straddle the (down range) walls. You can see what is on both sides. Thus, eliminating a position and the time it takes to get in and out of it.

Thanks, I've seen videos of other people doing that and I think it would shave some time off my runs.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Edited by Corey

Looked good, have to say I laughed my ass off at the end of the 5th video! :roflol:

i hear ya, haha. i have no clue what happened, but i glanced over there and there was def only 1 hole in EACH target... :unsure:

Here is what I see….

Stage 1 – Whats up with the ginger mag pickup at the start of the stage. You spent a boat load of time fiddling with the mags. The rest of the stage looks decent but you are crowding the walls and barrels. Look at the end of the stage. You have to pull the gun back and poke it back out between positions. All of this pull back/ poke out kills time. You could just as easily been one step back from the walls/barrels and been able to instantly transition from one target to the next while keeping the gun fully extended the whole time. Force yourself to NOT crowd walls, ports, or barrels.

Stage 2 – Look at your first reload. You try to do a sideways wrist flip to get the mag out of the gun. This usually slows down the mag dropping free more than anything. You need to have a stationary position of the gun with the magwell pointing down to allow it to drop free. Pushing the mag release button earlier will allow you to keep the gun in this position well without wasting movement or time.

Stage 3 – This looks like a decent run. You can see the difference in your foot speed while reloading and not reloading though. Work on being able to haul ass while doing the reload.

Stage 4 – This looked like a decent run. The one thing that I want to point out though is the difference between your on target splits and target to target transition times. For example on the first three targets you are shooting pretty fast on target but take a while to transition from one target to the next. With as close as these targets are the on target splits should be almost the same as your target to target transition times. You are either seeing one sight picture and whacking the trigger twice, or shooting then looking for holes before you transition to the next target. If you are doing either one of these, stop. Call your shot so you can move onto the next shot as soon as possible. The shooting cadence for each position should be a seamless line of shots.

Stage 5 – Others have already commented on splitting the walls to eliminate shooting positions. I assume that the quality of your hits was questionable due to the reengagement of the far right targets. Did you have some hits in the hard cover so you needed to make them up? You are shooting fast and aggressive, which is good, but if you are not able to get your hits going fast isn’t worth it. When people “Try” to shoot fast they usually mash the crap out of the trigger and pull their shots low. The key here is to allow yourself to shoot as fast as you can call your shots. If you use your eyes as the gas petal there is no artificial “trying” to shoot fast. You simply shoot as soon as you can call the shot. If you ever start thinking about shooting things fast or slow that should be an immediate alarm that you are doing it wrong. You shoot when you can call the shot, no faster or slower.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I was hoping you'd see this :) Thanks for all the input! On the first stage, it was an empty belt start and I had to load 4 mags into my belt, so it did take a bit of time. I didn't realize i was getting that close to walls/barrels, but you are def right. that was actually a stage win for in the division :)

As for the rest of it, shot calling is a big thing I need to get better at. I still find myself looking for holes on targets alot :unsure:. painted hardcover has been giving me some issues lately and its something i plan to iron out. more live fire on the range should help out if/when i can find time to get away from work

Edited by Corey

Corey> The most effective thing I changed to better my hits and shooting speed on partial targets is to change my default aiming point on the targets. Switch from aiming at the middle of the body A zone to the top quarter of the body A zone. I basically aim for a head shot size box on the top of the body A zone all the time, regardless of the shot being a partial or full target. When people put hard cover or no shoots on targets to block them they almost always leave this head shot size box of the body A zone exposed. Change your aiming point to this upper portion of the body A zone and magically all of those "Partial" shots on a stage disappear because they are not blocking your default aiming point. Another advantage to this higher aiming point is that we all default to pushing shots low when we "Try" to go fast because we mash the trigger. If you are aiming higher on the target and you mash the trigger you will more than likely still have an A zone hit verses getting a C or D zone hit when you aim at the middle. I got these tips from Matt Burkett during a class I took from him and it has served me well.

The only other thing I am going to mention is that you said that the one stage ended up being a stage win. Don't settle for just winning the stage. You want to be able to crush your competition as much as possible. The more match points you get the better off you are. If you stayed back from the barrels and shaved an extra second or two off your stage run you would have still won the stage but been more match points ahead of your competition. Don't think of it as "Winning a stage". Think of it as performing well enough to seal as many match points as possible from your competition. Whoever captures the most match points wins.

• 2 weeks later...

Cha-lee,

By winning the stage, the competitor gets ALL the points available for the stage.

See 9.2.2.1 or 9.2.3.1. "The overall stage results are factored by awarding the competitor

with the highest hit factor the maximum points available

for the course of fire, with all other competitors ranked relatively

below the stage winner.

So if you win the stage by 0.1 HF or 10.0 HF, you still get all the stage points...

Cha-lee,

By winning the stage, the competitor gets ALL the points available for the stage.

See 9.2.2.1 or 9.2.3.1. "The overall stage results are factored by awarding the competitor

with the highest hit factor the maximum points available

for the course of fire, with all other competitors ranked relatively

below the stage winner.

So if you win the stage by 0.1 HF or 10.0 HF, you still get all the stage points...

that is true but if you win it by 10HF you gain more points against your competition instead of 0.1HF so i think cha-lee is correct

The greater the margin of victory on any stage, the FEWER points your competition earns, hence you end up with more match points than them.

-rvb

On the car stage, when loading the mags... you put ALL the mags on your belt when you could have taken the first reload off the table and not had to spend the time getting it in the pouch...

Don't worry about how fast you move WHILE reloading... make it your goal to get the reloading done in that first step or so out of position (ie as soon as you are able). again, on the car stage, notice you had taken a couple steps to the door before even dropping the mag, so you got to the door quickly, but you had to stand there and finish the reload before opening the door, then re-accelerate. a momentum and time killer

get those mags seated!! (aka ditch the big honkin mag well) ;) Only saw 2 in the MI vids, but I know you had 2 or 3 times at Ft W last week you didn't get them seated, too.

On vid 96, watch the line you take weaving around the walls . The shortest distance is a straight line and you are making wide turns all the way out near the fault line. to the end of the walls is all the wider you needed to make those corners for the first 3 walls.

ok, again on the car stage... crowding the line really bit you there. for your last 8 shots you actually set up on two positions in order to see the targets when if you had been back a few feet you could have taken the last 8 all from one spot. took me a minute to figure out how you shot it.

agree about the flip you're sometimes doing to eject the old mag. Noticed that ROing you at the Ft Wayne match. If you're mags aren't wanting to drop free w/o a flick, there are cures for that.

watching your head, and listening to the shots, I feel like you are tracking the site between targets rather than snapping your eyes to the next target and letting the gun catch up. Hard to guess what you are seeing, but that's the impression I get.

All the nit picks in the world wont matter if you don't have the patience to watch the front site. :P about 18 seconds for 5 plates on the star. When you started watching the FS you cleared the last 4 plates in ~ 4 seconds! :o

-rvb

Here is a good example. Lets say that there is are four 100 point stages and you have two competitors in a match. Listed below are the stage by stage results.

Stage 1

Joe Blow - HF of 10 = 100 Stage Points

Frank Rizzo - HF of 5 = 50 Stage Points

Stage 2

Frank Rizzo - HF of 10 = 100 Stage Points

Joe Blow - HF of 9 = 90 Stage Points

Stage 3

Stage 4

Match Finishing Order

First - Joe Blow = 370 Total Match Points

Second - Frank Rizzo = 350 Total Match Points

Even though Frank Rizzo won stages 2, 3, and 4, Joe Blow won the match because he crushed Frank on stage 1 by limiting the total stage points captured by Frank to only half the available stage points.

As I stated before, you don’t want to simply “Win” a stage, you want to crush your competition by as much of a margin is possible.