Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Briley Barrel Extensions for M2

ledavatar

Ok I know this is totally the opposite direction of the usual topic, but I want to extend my Benelli M2 Field's 21" barrel to about 28" for upland/waterfowl hunting. At first I was going to buy a new barrel, but then I saw the scarcity/price. Yikes.

I came across this item - Briley Mag Extension. If it does what it suggests, I can just get a 6" extension for about $120 and be on my merry way.

Does anyone have any experience using that extension? Any thoughts to cons of using an extension?

Great Question.

I asked last week about a 28"er for my Sailent m2 for five stand....

Egads the price was crazy.

I am looking forward to your answers...

Thanks Alan

Seems like I can shed a gun in the safe if I could find a extra 28" tube for the girl..:)

I only want a longer barrel for hunting purposes. I've been told steel shot has rapid velocity loss given the lower mass, and you would be be making as much as 40-50 yard shots. This means you need a pretty full choke and some powerful loads (preferably 3 or 3.5inch shells), with a long barrel to put them up to speed.

Edited by ledavatar

Yes it will add legnth, We have 4" and 6" basically what you recieve is a cylinder constriction choke that goes into your existing barrel that is threaded on the end of the choke that the extension attaches to. Then you have the Extension which has 2 female threads one for the cylinder constriction choke at the end of your existing barrel, and female threads for you to use your existing chokes. You must specify which type of choke system you have.

Guys,

I am curious about why the desire for longer barrels?

Sight radius?

Swing weight?

Patrick

Why?

My thought was to feel less of a rambo goof ball on the clays field...:)

That and at full handicap I thought he extra lenght would be an advantage...

I likes to smoke the birds...

But then I have not tried the gun on the trap field only five stand...seems like I was getting hits but not all smokers if ya know what I mean...

Stupid, probably I already have a great clays gun..or two...do over unders count?

Alan

I have the 4" extension on my Salient Arms 18.5" shotgun. Easy to install and you can still use all your chokes. Works great and looks top notch as expected from Briley. I also got mine from Sean at Power Factor Shooting.

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year to all!

Sorry for the delay in the feedback, but I was waiting for the actual field test! I bought the Briley extension to go waterfowl hunting since I gather that my 21" barrel probably won't cut it for those 30-50yd shots. So, I just came back from 2 days of goose hunting at the Finger Lakes in NY (12/26-27). Man, what an awesome trip. Our party of 4 took 30 geese total between the 2 days - 12 on first day, 18 on second. The bag limit was 3/person but we had 2 guides with us so absolute max was 18. I've uploaded some videos onto youtube to share.

Goose Hunting - Day 1

Goose Hunting - Day 2

Here are some pics of the Briley extension. Basically, there's a male coupler that's much like a choke (but thinner) and joins the extension with the barrel. The end of the extension is threaded as well to put in chokes, or even another extension. I used a factory modified choke for waterfowl hunting. There's a small gap between the barrel and the extension, which I think is good since I wouldn't want them touching and potentially rubbing as I tighten the extension.

The extension works just as advertised and up to expectations. My 21" Benelli M2 barrel effectively became a 27", and it shows up when I patterned it against my friend's longer-barreled shotgun. I had some concerns that the extension could come loose during shooting, but it didn't really loosen, especially if you're just hunting w/ 2+1 rounds max. I did not put in loctite b/c I was taking it on and off regularly (my range bag did not fit the shotgun w/ the extension.

Overall, I really like the extension. It allowed me to save hundreds of bucks on another M2 barrel or even another shotgun. There's a couple of minor things that I want to mention though - 1) I had some initial issues with the extension - for some reason, my factory Benelli crio chokes would not screw into the thread, but Briley chokes would fit just fine. I sent it back to Sean @ powerfactorshooting.com and he took care of the problem for me. I think the threads weren't cut right or some of the taps were left in there or something. I don't really remember. Sean can chime in and let us know the details. 2) I did not like how the extension came in 2 pieces. Sometimes when I unscrew the extension, the coupler would stay in the barrel, and it is extremely hard to remove since there's no knurling and you cannot use a choke wrench on the smooth surface. I wound up having to use a strap wrench, but I think you can do it w/ the end of a mousepad or just wrap a rubber band on it and do it too.

post-11702-097017000 1294009576_thumb.jp

post-11702-027869400 1294009589_thumb.jp

post-11702-065956800 1294009624_thumb.jp

post-11702-089967800 1294009637_thumb.jp

post-11702-092503400 1294011608_thumb.jp

Happy New Year to all!

Sorry for the delay in the feedback, but I was waiting for the actual field test! I bought the Briley extension to go waterfowl hunting since I gather that my 21" barrel probably won't cut it for those 30-50yd shots. So, I just came back from 2 days of goose hunting at the Finger Lakes in NY (12/26-27). Man, what an awesome trip. Our party of 4 took 30 geese total between the 2 days - 12 on first day, 18 on second. The bag limit was 3/person but we had 2 guides with us so absolute max was 18. I've uploaded some videos onto youtube to share.

Goose Hunting - Day 1

Goose Hunting - Day 2

Here are some pics of the Briley extension. Basically, there's a male coupler that's much like a choke (but thinner) and joins the extension with the barrel. The end of the extension is threaded as well to put in chokes, or even another extension. I used a factory modified choke for waterfowl hunting. There's a small gap between the barrel and the extension, which I think is good since I wouldn't want them touching and potentially rubbing as I tighten the extension.

The extension works just as advertised and up to expectations. My 21" Benelli M2 barrel effectively became a 27", and it shows up when I patterned it against my friend's longer-barreled shotgun. I had some concerns that the extension could come loose during shooting, but it didn't really loosen, especially if you're just hunting w/ 2+1 rounds max. I did not put in loctite b/c I was taking it on and off regularly (my range bag did not fit the shotgun w/ the extension.

Overall, I really like the extension. It allowed me to save hundreds of bucks on another M2 barrel or even another shotgun. There's a couple of minor things that I want to mention though - 1) I had some initial issues with the extension - for some reason, my factory Benelli crio chokes would not screw into the thread, but Briley chokes would fit just fine. I sent it back to Sean @ powerfactorshooting.com and he took care of the problem for me. I think the threads weren't cut right or some of the taps were left in there or something. I don't really remember. Sean can chime in and let us know the details. 2) I did not like how the extension came in 2 pieces. Sometimes when I unscrew the extension, the coupler would stay in the barrel, and it is extremely hard to remove since there's no knurling and you cannot use a choke wrench on the smooth surface. I wound up having to use a strap wrench, but I think you can do it w/ the end of a mousepad or just wrap a rubber band on it and do it too.

Looks like you guys had some fun, man I wish I was there!

As far as the coupler/extension. It comes in 2 pieces. I would reccomend putting some loctite on the coulpler/barrel extension for ease of taking it on and off. In fact you could use permanent locktite if you want and just weld it together, and just use it for hunting purposes or when you need the added length.

Good shooting guys!