Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup Question

dbletap_ed

Titegroup question

I load 40 for my SV Limited gun and have been using Vit N340 for sometime now. I am running low on powder and need to purchase more and see that the cost of Titegroup is much lower than Vit. Before purchase I thought I would check out this site for info. In the past on this forum I would see nothing but praise for Titegroup. However, I do not see much mention of Titegroup lately. Is it still highly thought of?

BTW – I load Zero 180gr HP’s to an oal of 1.200”

Guest Larry Cazes

Do a search here......There are a lot of people using Titegroup for .40 . You might give Winchester WST a try as well. I have a load with 180 grain pills that is pretty sweet and either of these should be half the price of N320 if you buy in 8lb kegs.

I switched from N320 to TG lst year, too. Primarily because of the ease of finding it, but the lower price isn't bad either. So far, I think they are VERY similar. As a matter of fact, my 180 FMJ load is identical (charge weight, length, etc) with TG as it is with N320. I am very pleased with it.

TG works well and it flows consistently through the dillon powder bar. Try several loads by starting at 4.8 and working up to 5.1 grains with your 180s. Load 15 rounds - use 10 for a group from a sandbag at 12 yards and 5 rounds through a chrono. Check for a group and the power factor.

Depends on the OAL but if you loaded at the "book" OAL with gwm2b's starting load it is gonna be hot. I loaded 4.8 under Zero 180s at "book" OAL once to compare to my usual OAL and they went around 180 PF. I forget exactly what the velocity was. Didn't see any pressure signs but it was hotter than I needed.

I use 4.7 at 1.14 and make major easily with MG 180s...at least on my chrono. YMMV of course.

For the price per lb I just don't think TG can be beat. Every time I ponder switching to Vitavouri powders I just check the prices and go buy another few lbs of TG.

Edited by kimel

I just ran out of my 2nd 8lb keg of TiteGroup and tried some other stuff that I had laying around. Believe it or not, the main difference to me is in the consistency. I really miss how consistent TG is. It's almost distracting to shoot a less consistent load because I can feel the difference when some lighter or hotter rounds are fired. BTW, similar to the previously stated data, my Limited load is 4.8gr with a 180jhp at 1.200"col primed with WSP.

Regards,

Todd

Sterling,

Did you get the check?

Forgot to mention in the note above that my OAL is 1.18 and I load 5.1 grains with a very slight hint of a crimp (minimal). The PF is 173 which gives large margin of comfort when I see the chrono man.

I've just edited this post after getting home from the Florida Open....PF was 180 with the load mentioned above. Will be adjusting the powder measure to 4.9. Will have to chalk this one up to an older chronograph.

Todd, received your letter and your bullets are at shooters in the back room - middle shelf with your name on them.

The Florida Open was a hell of a match - Frank put a lot of time and energy into stage designs and layout.

Sterling