Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Barrel Length

Winder

Does size really matter? Seriously, looking for info/advice. I see all of the major players, Miculek, Taran Butler, etc shooting 20 inch barrels. I've heard Bruce Piatt say he likes it for the sight raduis but is that the only reason? Because, most guys shoot optics. Is it some sort of power factor thing? Is more weight out front more conducive to quicker follow-up shots? I use an M-4 setup because it's handier in the tight spaces but am I missing something? Thanks.

As long as you can hit targets at 300-400, it feels comfortable.. take your pick.

I think more people worry about the rifle length than their 300 yard zero :)

I use an 18" - I'll probably go to a 20:" next time - just to get a little more velocity with lighter loads.. will I be able to tell - probably not. I do like to shoot 55s at about 3,100

Edited by BerKim

last time i talked to taran, he was still shooting a 16". bruce might go with a 20" for irons, but i dunno. 18" seems perfect to me. i had a 16" that was cut from a 20, and it just didn't shoot well. but i've shot some 16's that shot just great. i think the weight is the big deal, so we're talking barrel contour, not length. then, you get into gas systems issues when you start going short as well.

If you ARE going to run Irons than do yourself a favor and go 20"

Anything shorter is a compromise.

Patrick

Pat,

do you mean a rifle length gas system for the sight radius or is there another reason ?

Sight radius baby...sight radius!

No detractions to running a 20" tube, just run the front sight as far out as you can!

Gas system? Whatever feels good.

Patrick

If you ARE going to run Irons than do yourself a favor and go 20"

Anything shorter is a compromise.

Patrick

Pat,

do you mean a rifle length gas system for the sight radius or is there another reason ?

Sight radius baby...sight radius!

No detractions to running a 20" tube, just run the front sight as far out as you can!

Gas system? Whatever feels good.

Patrick

I understand the sight radius for irons how about using optics?

Seems like a shorter 16"er would be faster to get on target and easier to hold off hand using optics.

Alan

Top Guns in Optic run the gamut.

16", 17.5" 18" and 20"

Combine those lengths with various barrel profiles and it truly is shooter preference.

Preference.... determined through experiment and experience.

Handling has a bunch to do with (among other things) how the weight is distributed between the hands.

I know guys that have guns for specific styles of Multigun Matches. A little longer and heavier

for the longer range matches. Shorter and lighter for the quick and dirty.

What Manny, Moe or Jack likes does not really matter.

You may like their opinions better but the real bottom line is pick one and practice.

Good luck on your quest.

Patrick

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Top Guns in Optic run the gamut.

16", 17.5" 18" and 20"

Combine those lengths with various barrel profiles and it truly is shooter preference.

Preference.... determined through experiment and experience.

Handling has a bunch to do with (among other things) how the weight is distributed between the hands.

I know guys that have guns for specific styles of Multigun Matches. A little longer and heavier

for the longer range matches. Shorter and lighter for the quick and dirty.

What Manny, Moe or Jack likes does not really matter.

You may like their opinions better but the real bottom line is pick one and practice.

Good luck on your quest.

Patrick

I understand the different length scenarios.

I like the longer barrel personally. Might have to pick up another too for the job.

Thanks Alan