Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bite the bullet

pops1982

Ok, I bit the bullet and have a dillon 650 on the way purchased from BE. I know someone that has reloaded with one for years and is going to help me get started. My question is this, he told me to get some Hodgdon Universal Clays gun powder, 1 pound. I see references on the forum to Universal, Universal Clays and Clays. My loading handbook lists Clay and Universal as two different Hodgdon powders. So which is the correct reference to the powder? Is there really a Universal Clays powder?

Thanks,

Dean

Universal = Universal Clays.

Clays is not = to "Universal" or "Universal Clays"

Your manual probably doesnt put the clays at the end of Universal to avoid confusion, therefore causing more confusion. :wacko:

There is also an International clays. I dont know that Ive ever seen it used in a pistol load though.

Thanks. So Universal Clays it is. Now I'm off to find some.

All Universal Clays in production is now marketed simply as "Universal" now, to help eliminate the confusion. While you might still see Universal Clays on the shelf, all newer production will be just marked as "Universal."

Thanks. So Universal Clays it is. Now I'm off to find some.

All Universal Clays in production is now marketed simply as "Universal" now, to help eliminate the confusion. While you might still see Universal Clays on the shelf, all newer production will be just marked as "Universal."

Thanks for the clarification.

oh and dont buy the Universal,,, it really isnt, and it isnt very well suited for much of anything, too slow for non comped guns, too fast for comped guns, What is your intended application ?

Shooting an edge for USPSA and Steel matches. I contracted the disease 6 weeks ago from what I thought was a friend who invited me to a match and lent me a gun and gear to shoot it and now I cant shake it. Spent lots of $$$$$$ since then on the gun, safe, belts, holster and now the dillon 650. No signs of recovery yet. Pray for me.

no worse than anything else recreational, a round of golf at pebble beach costs 450 bucks for 18 lousy holes and there is a multi-year wait for non members

may i offer up a different powderfor your edge??? WST has worked just fine for me for yrs...back in the day it was a mere 10 bucks a pound...

no worse than anything else recreational, a round of golf at pebble beach costs 450 bucks for 18 lousy holes and there is a multi-year wait for non members

may i offer up a different powderfor your edge??? WST has worked just fine for me for yrs...back in the day it was a mere 10 bucks a pound...

You're right about the other hobbies costing as much or more. Just venting while licking my wounds. As far as the powder goes I will have to start with the universal clays since that is what the guy that is showing me the ropes uses.

I consider this my cheap hobby. Try drag racing. Comparison.. I broke my limtd gun the other day, cost me 35 bucks. I broke my drag car last year and I am at 3K and still have another 3K to spend before its back on the track. Cost me about $150 to go to the track if nothing brakes. Last person I took out there got the bug and built a car, now 2 years later she is having the time of her life... Wanta come play :)

I consider this my cheap hobby. Try drag racing. Comparison.. I broke my limtd gun the other day, cost me 35 bucks. I broke my drag car last year and I am at 3K and still have another 3K to spend before its back on the track. Cost me about $150 to go to the track if nothing brakes. Last person I took out there got the bug and built a car, now 2 years later she is having the time of her life... Wanta come play :)

Thanks for the invite but going real fast never turned me on, thankfully. But I for years spent endless hours in fields throwing birds or running my dog for retreiver field trials. Hot or cold or wet weather was no deterrent. Want to talk about expensive, thats field trialing.

Different strokes for different folks.

oh and dont buy the Universal,,, it really isnt, and it isnt very well suited for much of anything, too slow for non comped guns, too fast for comped guns, What is your intended application ?

I like Universal for my XDm 40. I've been reloading for about six years but only been reloading .40 for about 3 years. The only powders I've tried in .40 have been Bullseye and Universal so I don't have that much experience with other powders. WST sounded good if you can load out to 1.200" but I can't. It doesn't seem like you can safely achieve Major using WST without loading long.

Why don't you like Universal?

Edited by d_striker