Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First press

tackdr1ver

Like others have posted it all depends on how much you plan to shoot and time you have to load. you cant go wrong with Dillons RL550B, easy to setup use and witth the quick change caliber kits its faster to change over. dillon also has its no BS warnty, but if your shooting more ammo the 650 is an option but make sure you get the casefeed cause with out it its just a 550 but just with the auto indexing. since you plan onloading rifle, the Sqd b i would think is out of the question but not out of your price range only problem i didnt like was the fact it didnt like is that it cost more to convert and it doesnt take the standard dillon dies the 550 & 650 and also the 1050 now the 1050 is a monster and is also more pricier then the other reloaders hornady lock and load from what i hear is around the price of the 550 but has the features of the 650 and i think you can get 500 bullets from them too but that didnt make me a red pill popper! I went with the blue (550)for its quality and service.... what ever you choose you will not be un happy as for saving buying the initual setup can be exspesive, if you buy in bulk is where you would save money... good luck and welcome to the addiction!

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad and I bought a whole Dillon 550 setup from a guy getting out of shooting - and it is awesome. Easy to setup, and cranks out the ammo.

I've found that the digital scale is well worth it. When you are working up loads it's alot faster.

Thank you all for your replies. I will keep you posted on everything once I get rolling!

If you weren't on the other sea board I would offer to sell you mine. After two years with the 550 I am ready for the 650. Take a good look at the Hornady lnl ap also.

Started reloading over 30 years ago with a lee load all. All things considered a Dillon 550 would be your best bet. I've had mine for more years then I can remember. Been a great press and just recently went through it and completely cleaned and realigned it. Still works great. Gabe

Getting into reloading is a lot like getting into shooting. A mentor is a great plus. If you have a buddy that's into reloading, get him to show you what its all about.

I have two 650s but still use my single stage press a lot for working up loads and small batches of hunting and specialty ammo. I don't think you need to spend a lot of money on the single stage press as you will want to go with a progressive as you shoot more. Since budget is a concern, I would start with the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit (about $105). This has almost everything you need to get started including a quick swap method for the dies. The scale sucks but you will need to buy a good one anyway ( BE has a package deal for digital scale and caliper in the store). This will also get you grounded on what goes on in the reloading business. You can buy the lee kit, the digital scale and calipers, a couple of loading manuals, loading blocks and dies for all your calibers for under $500.

When you are shooting enough to justify that progressive, BE gives you a lot of info to help decide which press to buy. If you think you want a casefeeder and may want to load rifle, go straight to the 650.

• 6 months later...

Well it has been some time since I could report back on this thread. The good news is: I have finally gotten a press and have begun the reloading journey.

I managed to pick up a 650 XL from another member on this forum for a heck of a great deal. Luckily, a close friend also has one and has been in the reloading game for 30+ years was nice enough to come help me get set up and running. It is truly a blessing to have someone like him to show me the ins and outs of safely reloading, setting dies, powder metering etc. The press runs like a top and helped me load 500 rounds in short order for the SC state championship.

What's not to like about rolling your own? And what's not to like about the 650? I love it! And having great friends who are experienced and willing to show you the way is priceless!

Well it has been some time since I could report back on this thread. The good news is: I have finally gotten a press and have begun the reloading journey.

I managed to pick up a 650 XL from another member on this forum for a heck of a great deal. Luckily, a close friend also has one and has been in the reloading game for 30+ years was nice enough to come help me get set up and running. It is truly a blessing to have someone like him to show me the ins and outs of safely reloading, setting dies, powder metering etc. The press runs like a top and helped me load 500 rounds in short order for the SC state championship.

What's not to like about rolling your own? And what's not to like about the 650? I love it! And having great friends who are experienced and willing to show you the way is priceless!

Yea that is awesome. I always like it when a new reloading customer, who wants a 650, tells me that have a buddy with a 650 that will help them get going.

be

When I started re-loading, everyone said get a single stage, I decided on the 550B, the reason why, I could run it as a single stage until I got used to re-loading, did that for a month, wow, a long month but learned enough how the press worked, then went all out as a progressive, have never looked back and was happy with the outcome, since then have added 2 more 550's.

All for now JD Trampas

For me... I started with a RockChucker - and I have zero regrets. I have a 550b and the chucker, and I would NEVER load "single stage" on the 550. A good single stage taught me the basics, the fundamentals. I loaded thousands of striaght wall pistol on it even!

I then got the 550... and honestly, I do regret it. I wish I would have waited, and gotten the 650 with indexing and the casefeeder.

I still do a lot of work on the single stage for precision loads, and the 550 spits out all my semi-precision 3-gun ammo in .223... but I would much rather have an additional station for power check, along with case feeding and auto indexing for speed.

I got a 550 as my first press, from brian even, a few years back. About the same time my cousin got into the sport too, he bought a single stage press and has been whining about not getting a 550 ever since. As the saying goes "buy once, cry once". I'm a poor college student, the only way I could afford to shoot my 2-4 matches a month, even club matches, is to reload. I have saved enough money to pay for my press in just a few years.

I agree 100%, I bought a RCBS rockchucker and Now am having to UPGRADE... start with a 550... you wont regret it