Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Avezorak, Slowly Improving...

Avezorak

Ok here are stages 1, 2 and 4 from the Waco match on Saturday. It was a lot of fun. I wound up 2nd C Limited and 7th of 12 Limited. I know there is a lot that needs work, but if anyone wants to chime in with advice feel free. Thanks!

Looks like you shot a good clean stage.

Only thing I would say is get a little closer to the shooting line so you can be closer to the targets and you would probably automatically speed it up without even trying.

Nice work!! :cheers:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good. Now I'm only an A open shooter, so take this with that in mind.

You don't look very aggressive.

Lately I've been dealing with "over thinking" while I'm shooting. I think this is a by product of being at the bottom of A and wanting so bad to do good/ exceed. Some of my video reminds me of yours. Check it on YouTube.

" fourtrax08"

Are you conscious of "expectations" ? This is where I'm leaning with myself.

Overall you look good. My advice is quit thinking and be a little more aggressive. You seem to stand a bit "erect" while shooting and moving. Maybe a little more "hunched" like a boxer would be helpful.

Good luck and shooting to you!!!

I agree that Im not a very aggressive shooter. Its kinda funny because 6 months ago I was so upright I was about to fall over backwards.

I hadnt thought about the over-thinking aspect of my shooting. It does seem like my best stages are the ones where I have a good plan and run on auto pilot.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My advice is quit thinking and be a little more aggressive.

Great advice. Definitely get more aggressive. Bend your knees and lean into what you are doing. Drive the gun, don't let it drive you. Becoming an aggressive shooter is something I am working on as well. I have to literally tell myself to get aggressive each match and each stage.

On your draw, you are starting with your hands/arms spread wide. Bring them in closer. The less distance you have to move them the less time it takes. When I have my hands relaxed at side, my pistol grip touches the inside of my forearm. That helps me to know exactly where the grip is. Also, start moving *both* hands at the same time. At the Beep you move your right hand to the gun but the left stays put, then has to catch up. Start the left at the beep towards the center of your body so it can meet the right hand and start to form your grip on the way out to the target.

Bring your mag reloads up high so you can see the bottom of your magwell. This will help you see where the mag is going and hopefully eliminate the need to double tap the mag to get it to seat.

I hadnt thought about the over-thinking aspect of my shooting. It does seem like my best stages are the ones where I have a good plan and run on auto pilot.

To get the auto pilot set you need to plan down by running it over and over in your head before your turn to shoot. By the time you get to the line you should be able to close your eyes and run the entire stage shot by shot. Also do NOT watch the shooter just before you. If they have a different plan or if they make a mistake, it will likely effect you on your run.

Hope this helpscheers.gif

OK Im gonna give this IDPA thingy a try this weekend. Not really sure what I think about this but there are some really great guys Im gonna shoot with so it will be fun one way or the other. Im gonna shoot my single stack in CDP, any suggestions are welcome! :cheers:

Well, how did the IDPA thingy go?

It didnt. Lol. Some stuff came up last minute. Steel Challenge this Sunday though. Ill try to get some video up. Ive been working on my draw a little.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea well, Steel Challenge didnt happen last weekend. So that make a solid month since I have touched my XDM.

Andrew and I rode to Waco today for their USPSA match. Bob put on a great match. I had no expectations since practice and dryfire have been nonexistent the last month. Well I surprised myself, not my best showing by any means, but my head was in the game and I was CONSISTENT thru the entire match. Put down a 61.8% in Limited on Both Sides Now #2 shooting Minor. Yea minor. I ran out of Solo so Im using my production loads....

I will post a vid tomorrow along with the video of the LCGC match. If I shoot anything over 63% tomorrow I will be in B class. Mixed emotions there. Oh well I will update after the match tomorrow.

And here is the vid from the LCGC match this morning.

It was HOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT! I got there at 7 and started setting up, I was worn out by 10 when we started. The first stage was pretty good, I shot it clean. Pretty cool stage Andrew drew up called Trifecta, 1st string was SPEED, 2,2,2, reload, 2,2,2. 2nd string rewarded POWER, center A zone was hard cover, C and D hits rewarded major, I was shooting minor so I slowed down and hit the upper A zone. 3rd string was ACCURACY, head shot in the middle with mid-line hard cover on the other 2.

Stage 2 was one I drew, Behind the Barrels, 24 rounds of low targets and NO SHOOTS behind barrels. Only the top half of the upper A zone could be seen from one location, otherwise you had to get up close and move and shoot, did ok on this one.

Stage 3 was the classifier, Paynes Pain. Shot it in 14.44 with 44 points. 46% in L10. BLEH......

Stage 4 was a combo stage, 32 rounds, start in a box, end in a box. Tooo many Charlies.....

I shot todays match clean so Im pretty proud of that. Still waiting on scores, but Im pretty sure I came in 2nd or 3rd. We shall see.....

Edited by Avezorak

I also got to fondle this bad boy at the Waco match. Its the new 5.4 SV Infinity Standard .40. Its is slick as butter and the balance it perfect. I dont need 2 kidneys....................

post-21130-0-44415200-1308523983_thumb.j

Trace,

I was told over and over from many different folks that I needed to keep that finger off the trigger guard and I tried, I really did. After I took that class with Alex and he said to give it a shot, I started putting it up there are my splits got faster and my hits got better. Its just so natural for me. I really need to work on my draw, but I feel like I get a much better re-grip after mag changes with the grip Im using now. Tell Alex Hello if you talk to him. It was good seeing you Sunday, hope to get to squad with you one of these days. :cheers:

Ok Here Is the vid from Waco on Saturday...

Good job!!

Thanks bud, You get to shoot this weekend?

No but i'm doing thursday night steel, 2 matches on sat and sun, then a uspsa next tuesday night as well lmfao

I was a dryfiring, dvd watching, reloading fool this weekend... :goof:

Wow! What a day. Shot with the Pistoleros at their new range in Snook. Really nice facility.

Got there early and went to load up mags for my Limited gun. NO .40 AMMO! WTF!?!?!?!

Luckily I had my Single Stack rig and ammo in the truck. Single Stack division for me!

I shot poorly, no excuses. Had fun with the skinny gun but I need to work with it a bunch to get it to work for me.

Oh well. Got to get some .40 loaded and get back on track before A4.

• 3 weeks later...

Havent had a chance to shoot much but I have been playing with a new project I hope to finish before the end of the year.

post-21130-0-16243100-1310424360_thumb.j

I got a screamin deal on a Foster hi-cap frame and then while talking to Sean at PF Shooting, I found out he had a great deal on a 6" bald STI slide, so I picked one up. Just got the slide fit to the frame and am planning to order frame parts soon and a Briley bushing barrel as soon as Sean gets some in stock.

Its the first time I have undertaken building a gun from scratch, Im excited and ready to be shooting it!

Cool :cheers:

You are starting off with a great foundation. Good luck with the project.

Are you shooting in Waco on Saturday?

Thanks buddy! I have a wedding to attend this weekend so I will miss Waco and my match. I will be at Brazosland next Sunday though. Hope to see yall there!

• 2 weeks later...

Well today was a good day. I shot the Pistoleros match this morning. No video. I would up 5th overall out of 36 shooters and 3rd Limited out of 23. I felt pretty good about it since I havent shot at all in a month. I was pretty proud of my 1 stage win. Im looking forward to shooting pretty much every weekend from now until Area 4.