Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 GAP same as 45 ACP Dies?

Maksim

Will call Lee. Dont remember which off the top of my head... but at least 2 dies said 45ACP on them.

The Lee sets for 45acp come with the deluxe kit... which is a seperate factory crimp die... so i am thinking that is the difference in model numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_1381.jpg

I adjusted a spare Lee 4 die set and toolhead for my 650 from 45 ACP to 45 GAP. No issues, loads great. Great round, except for chasing brass. This round does not like to be throttled down in my G37. Such loads chucks empties at my head. Heavier loads, approaching factory level, eject normally. I intend to use 185 gr Berry bullets and Titegroup.

The Dillon and RCBS dies are the same for both.

Not all Dillon dies will go 45 gap. I don't remember if it was #3 or #4 but I had to do some machining on my SD, pre "B", 45 acp dies to load 45 gap.

Edited by jmorris

If you compare the specs of a 45ACP case and 45GAP case they are actually quite different, and not just in length. I don't remember the actual differences right now, but after looking that up I decided to get different die sets. I loaded quite a few 45GAP rounds with Lee's die set for 45GAP, which is not very expensive, and all was well. I no longer have need for the 45GAP, so sold the dies...

I would reccomend using the right tool for the job...

jj

Unless the die set is made to use for both, 45 Auto dies may not be able to work well for 45 GAP. The sizer will work, but the expander may need a shorter plug to adequately bell the shorter GAP cases. Also, the crimping with a 45 Auto die may not be able to reach the shorter GAP case unless the die is shortened.

A combo die set would not be hard, but I don't know what's currently offered from the various makers. It would be reasonable to offer the dies set as a combo from both a manufacturing and stocking standpoint.

Guy