Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para?

stinsonbeach

Picked up a Para "Warthog" in a trade a while back.

Really like the nasty little sucker.

Don't know ANYTHING about Para except the moved to NC from Canada.

Anybody match shoot them?

I've got enough racing guns (is that even possible?), but they do interest me.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

-jb

I've shot a P-16 Limited in USPSA for the last year and love it. I like the weight of the pistol,mine weights 39.5oz w/o a mag. I also owned a P-14 and shot I in USPSA also. Both guns were great, I just switched to the P-16 .40 for the higher mag capacity.

I've shot a P-16 Limited in USPSA for the last year and love it. I like the weight of the pistol,mine weights 39.5oz w/o a mag. I also owned a P-14 and shot I in USPSA also. Both guns were great, I just switched to the P-16 .40 for the higher mag capacity.

What did you have to do to make it race-ready?

What is the stock trigger weight?

What is the stock mag capacity in the 14 & 16?...& how tough is it to find & who makes mag extensions?

You know the questions I want to ask.

Thank you,

-jb

It ran great from the start. But, I changed the ignition parts,barrel, lighted the slide and had it refinished. Factory P-16 mags hold 16,add a Dawson Precision mag ext and they hold 21rnds of. 40. There are several pics of my pistol in the Freedom Gunworks forum under Customized Para P-16

P14 is a 45 that holds 14 rounds in stock mags. Easy to get to 17-18 rounds with Dawson base pad.

P16 is the .40 cal and has 16 round stock capacity. Easily gets 20 in mags and I have seen them get 21 and 22 in legal length mags, again with Dawson base pad.

Paras are extremely competitive but seem to be loved or hated depending on what preconceptions you have. I still have an old P14 that has fired more rounds than I care to guess and overall it still has a better feel to me than my SV Open gun.

Brian

Thanks for the info, Roy & BB.

That is the info I need, but a little hazy on mags.

I have lots of Dawson stuff so my question is do they make mags or just buy the basepads...& are they specialty Para Ordinance?

...& I'm a complete trigger whore - what's the trigger like?

Thanks,

-jb

ps the SV comparison is pretty telling.

I have lots of Dawson stuff so my question is do they make mags or just buy the basepads...& are they specialty Para Ordinance?

Thanks,

-jb

Dat must be one messed up SVI open gun. The soft sweet pulse of the 45 does not compare to the rather abrupt reaction of igniton of an open gun, open guns appear to be easy to shoot, but it takes some time to get use to the blast and noise. There isn't anything wrong with a Para that can't be fixed with all new internals, and a new well fitted match barrel. If the slide to frame fit is way bad then acc-u-rail. I like the EGW ultimate trigger kit, that and my smith make a 1.75# pull thats crisp with short reset, and these are good hardened parts that will last.

Dat must be one messed up SVI open gun.

I was refering to the feel of the gun in my hand. I am used to, and comfortable with, the STIs and SV but I still prefer the general feeling of the para. A lot of times it just feels right. I got my start on them and never had bad luck with them.

My P14 now has a cracked frame but it has well over 50k rounds and probably closer to 80-90k. The crack was in the rail above the slide stop opening. I opened it up with a dremel and it still shoots great.

Thanks,

-jb

Buy factory Para mags then just get the DP mag ext. The factory trigger was about 5.5lbs,after I put C&S ignition parts in it's a crisp 2lbs. :cheers:

Edited by Roy Hess

• 1 month later...

I to have a para (actually 2 , just bought another one for my son) p 16 40's. started out with SA single stack , went to the Para and have not regretted it at all. have shot mine for years with only minor problems, broken extractor, broken barrel bushing, nothing major. if I didn't love it i wouldn't have bought another one. it just feels right in the hand, so much better than the SA. , but then there are different sized hands . i put a F O front sight and over sized mag. release button and went to the match! much much fun!!

I to have a para (actually 2 , just bought another one for my son) p 16 40's. started out with SA single stack , went to the Para and have not regretted it at all. have shot mine for years with only minor problems, broken extractor, broken barrel bushing, nothing major. if I didn't love it i wouldn't have bought another one. it just feels right in the hand, so much better than the SA. , but then there are different sized hands . i put a F O front sight and over sized mag. release button and went to the match! much much fun!!

Shot mine in it's first match yesterday (P14 w/ Dawson +4 - 3 actually) & it ran flawlessly. I have Glocks, STI's & a bunch of others, but as you said it "...feels right...". Tho I shot like crap, it was fun. I didn't worry about scratching it & the stainless mags are lose so mag changes are fast. I put a 15# return spring w/ bumper & it runs my match loads (read: light as possible to make major) w/ out a single glitch. Everything else is stock. Think I'll work on it a bit & run it next week again. I bought it for PD as I only trust the .45 stopping power, but I don't know, may put some money into it & run it. Suggestions?

What do you think about the 6"?

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

So just out of curiosity how much would I have to drop into a Para 16 to get it ready for limited? Better yet anyone any smiths that specialize in Paras so I could possibly take a look at their Para work

So just out of curiosity how much would I have to drop into a Para 16 to get it ready for limited? Better yet anyone any smiths that specialize in Paras so I could possibly take a look at their Para work

As you can see from the "conversation" not much is needed.

I ran it completely stock - except for the 15# recoil spring - yesterday & have no complaints.

I will add an extend mag-release & do a little trigger work, but it ran w/o a single problem.

I bought mine - here actually - w/ 5 mags & extensions & a magwell.

That will be your only expense.

You'll need 4 mags ($50 ?) w/ Dawson (DawsonPrecision.com) mag-x ($40 ?).

My shooting buddies castigate me for buying this stuff & not put my money into expensive (they all have $3000 + guns) equipment, but I have to tell you, when I'm running a stage the Para works just fine! ...& I guess I'm not good enough to tell the difference! I'm looking forward to next week as I guess my PD weapon has just been promoted!!!

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

My shooting buddies castigate me for buying this stuff & not put my money into expensive (they all have $3000 + guns) equipment, but I have to tell you, when I'm running a stage the Para works just fine! ...& I guess I'm not good enough to tell the difference! I'm looking forward to next week as I guess my PD weapon has just been promoted!!!

-jb

I guess todd jarett wasnt good enough for all those years either.

-jb

I guess todd jarett wasnt good enough for all those years either.

...ooohhh - good point!

Wish I'd thought of that - but I will steal it!

Thanks.

-jb

Been shooting a P16 in Limited for about 18 months. I've put approx 20K major pf rounds through it and probably 60K+ rounds through it when I started shooting it, with no major issues. The extractor and the barrel bushing broke within 50 rounds of each other, thats the only problem for the last 30K rounds. It has a 2 lb trigger pull, magwell, and a little polishing on a few parts... From 15 yards I can easily shoot 2" groups with a 175 LSWC bullet and stock para barrel, which is good enough for the girls I date! ;) I loove my Para, but to each his own!

Been shooting a P16 in Limited for about 18 months. I've put approx 20K major pf rounds through it and probably 60K+ rounds through it when I started shooting it, with no major issues. The extractor and the barrel bushing broke within 50 rounds of each other, thats the only problem for the last 30K rounds. It has a 2 lb trigger pull, magwell, and a little polishing on a few parts... From 15 yards I can easily shoot 2" groups with a 175 LSWC bullet and stock para barrel, which is good enough for the girls I date! ;) I loove my Para, but to each his own!

I agree! I wouldn't mind driving a Porsche, but my Chevy gets me to work.

I agree! I wouldn't mind driving a Porsche, but my Chevy gets me to work.

Well, raced it Saturday & it was "Big Fun"!

Shot like crap, but had fun.

May shoot the VW this weekend too.

Anybody want to buy a coupla' STI's, 4 Glocks, a Les Baer & assorted other customs?

-jb

Wayne Novak in Parkersburg works on all types of 1911's and does good work. I have to load my ammo to 1.2 to make it work but it has been 100% (bought it off the classifieds here). Trigger needs a little work, a new fitted adjustable trigger and a FO front sight (the original owner had the FS narrowed and it will not work for my old eyes)and. You will need an oversize mag well also. The Dawson ICE was best but I don't believe he makes them anymore. Might just make an oversize one but I'm not sure. Also have a .45 built from a frame kit before Para made complete guns which has a lot of rounds thru it.

FWIW

Richard

• 1 month later...

Been a while now since I've posted, but I do love the Para 14 w/ Dawson mag-x holds 17+1 - which unless I really bungle it, works just fine.

Everyone shoots .40 & now 9's (cost to reload) but I like the .45 2x-stack & will continue to shoot it.

I was serious about selling some STI's & Glocks.

This is great info, I just bought one during the holidays from a guy who got it already to shoot limited and never went out. I was a little apprehensive at first casue I'm a fairly new competition shooter, but all I've seen for limited guns around me have been $2,500 guns and up. All the guts have been replaced with Wilson and it has the Dawson magwell. It also came with 3 barley used Dawson mags, which I like a lot, but I'm told Dawson no longer make them. I did add Dawson Basepads and I know there was an aftermarket trigger added. Trigger breaks around 2.75 or so, but it feels great. I'm new to gun tuning so it's by far the best gun and trigger I've ever owned. I was running a base model witness match before I found this one, but I think I will stick with the Para for a bit.

This is great info, I just bought one during the holidays from a guy who got it already to shoot limited and never went out. I was a little apprehensive at first casue I'm a fairly new competition shooter, but all I've seen for limited guns around me have been $2,500 guns and up. All the guts have been replaced with Wilson and it has the Dawson magwell. It also came with 3 barley used Dawson mags, which I like a lot, but I'm told Dawson no longer make them. I did add Dawson Basepads and I know there was an aftermarket trigger added. Trigger breaks around 2.75 or so, but it feels great. I'm new to gun tuning so it's by far the best gun and trigger I've ever owned. I was running a base model witness match before I found this one, but I think I will stick with the Para for a bit.

I've really come to love shooting mine.

I've a couple of STI's - not the most expensive, but..., Glocks, Customs, etc.

I think you'll be happy w/ it - of course we all know that "love doesn't last" & you'll be hunting for another soon enough! Until then - enjoy shooting it.

-jb

• 9 months later...

whats wrong with using Para Mags ??? reason I ask is I'm picking up a Para Limited P14 in 45 ... Do you get more rounds with an STI 45 mag or with the para mag w/ a dawson base pad ??? Thanx for the info and sorry for the thread jack...

Edited by RippSpeed