Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Interest in a "Classic" Match?

Boyd

Folks,

I came up shooting in the early 1980's and sorely miss many of the aspects of the game at that time, like single stack "Bo-Mar'd" comp guns, Ernie Hill holsters, "stock class" etc.

I'm thinking about beginning the preliminary planning for a match that would have two main areas of focus:

1. Guns and gear would be comparable with the stuff we used (all your single stack gear would work fine, or you could dust off your old single stack Accu-Comp) around 1985.

2. Courses of fire would be some of the classics from matches of the day (Advanced Military, old Cooper Assualt courses etc).

I'm just seeking some feedback on this. I'm not trying or suggesting a new shooting sport, just a retro match, maybe on an annual basis at a large venue (Bend, OR range or Sacramento CA range, for instance)

Any thoughts?

-mb

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly remember guns becoming outdated while they were still being "born" at the gunsmith shop (that's why so many of us started working on our own guns). I started competing seriously in UPSA around 1986 and I haven't locked in a certain "year for gear" at all. My thought would be single stack, open and "stock" classes using rule criteria from around 1985.

As far as just using new single stack stuff, most would be perfectly applicable. I think we have some great single stack matches out there already. I think dusting off the old stuff for those of us who have it would be a blast. I'm also very interested in how scores would match up.

keep the ideas coming.

-mb

You might need to be creative to put on a retro match using today's USPSA rule book. Standards can only be 24 rounds. You could split up an old standards into 2 or 3 different stages. It will be interesting to see how today's shooters can handle a fixed time standards. ;)

I pulled out a 1984 IPSC/US Region rulebook and a 1986 IPSC/USPSA rulebook. USPSA wasn't formed until around 1984.

Power factor was 170 for major. Targets were the the Item and the Milpark. The Florida 8 was authorized for the USA.

For a match today you could use SS equipment rules except a comp could be added. Single stack only for major. You might have the token minor Browning Hi-Power and the token revolver. ;)

Stage design will be very important to keep it pure to the time period.

Here's another thread about old stages. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113930&st=0&p=1292724&fromsearch=1entry1292724

Lots of Browning Hipowers on the international scene back in the day. The whole major/minor scoring was set up to equalize the 1911's .45 7+1 with the Hipower's 9mm 13+1,

but like the others said I wouldnt go if it wasnt within a couple hours.

Edited by Joe4d

• 2 weeks later...

I've thought about it at one of our tuesday night fun shoots. We could call it the "old bald fat guys antique" match. I've got a Lou Clark (not Jim Clark, but Lou Clark from Georgia) .45 pin gun that hasn't been out of the safe in a decade or more. I've got a LE-K .38super single-port that Lou built which also hasn't seen the light of day in a long time. I would, however, go ahead and run either of these out of my current ghost holster if I couldn't find my sack full of Ernie leather. (Yes, "LEATHER"!!) :rolleyes:

(Anything you need to do or check on one of these old girls to make sure it doesn't come apart in your hands the first time you light it off?)

I could even create an "antique" division in ezws so my current shooters wouldn't be left out. Remember, back then, ALL guns competed together!

I'd run current rules.

Edited by wgnoyes

I could do the fat man part, Just started shooting again last DEC after a 14 year lay off showed up with a LE in 45 and some ernie hill leather did I get sone looks, some of the young ones never seen leather speed gear. had a blast and placed 2 nd over all, was told by the RO that some of the guys were upset that an old man could just would show up out of nowhere and could shoot with old gear. I would travel in the mid west for a match, would be a HOOT.\\\

In the 80's, I had a cap gun. Rolled up red strip of little dimpled paper. Never would feed right, the little advance lever dohicky attached to the trigger was only synchronous with the very center of the ever shrinking roll.