Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going Prone

MTrout40

Yesterday at practice I did a little prone shooting at the 50 yard line.  Before going prone, I cracked off 5 shots at the "upper panel" with the top of the sight  lined up at the bottom of the upper panel, and landed 3 a's and 2 just above the A.  From the prone position, with the sights lined up at the top of the "big" A zone, all my hits were landing at the bottom of the A zone.

So from this, I know the gun hits on or just slightly high at 50 from a standing freehand position, but hits way low from prone.

So here are the questions....  Is this normal?  Is it just psychological? Is it the way you picture the sights with your head tilted back?  Or does it have something to do with shooting slightly uphill?

Thanks in advance..

Matt T

Sometimes when I shoot prone, I notice that I am more anchored to the ground and have stronger control of my gun. It therefore rises less during recoil and results in lower hits.  Perhaps this is happing to you, do you have more muzzle flip while shooting offhand vs prone?

Travis -  No Rx glasses, just a pair of WileyX.

Old Shooter-  Good point!  I didn't think about that.  I'm not sure about the more/less flip though.  I'll have to pay more attention next time.  I do know that I use the same grip with the same amount of tension as I do freestyle.

I know the simple solution would be to aim higher, but that puts my POA at the upper panel.  That's slip pickins at 50 yards!  I guess playing around with some different set-ups and positions would help.  Wonder if the same thing would happen with a red dot compared to iron sights?  Hmmm

Matt T

A-40855

I shoot lots of NRA Action Pistol. I use 38Super 115gr at 1200fps or so, Aimpoint Comp red dot. I sight in at 50y. Then check where they are at 25, 15 and 10. The difference in where the pistol shoots is negligable at the intermediate range. Ask any Bianchi cup shooter where he/she aims on the barricade, 10y - 35y clamped to a frame.

Unless you shoot very big very very slow projectiles.

e.g.

38Super needs to be 1" high at 25y to be zero at 50y (115gr at 1200fps)

45ACP 1.6" high at 25y zero at 50.

You will find that if you are confident at 50y then 25y or less is a peice of cake.

Set up lots of targets 5yards apart and try. Take your time.

Good Luck

TT,

would you mind elaborating your comment abot Rx glasses? I wear them, and though I got used to hitting low (and hold top A at 50), I never really understood why. Could it be because I am looking more thru the top edge of the lenses, giving me a distorted image?

--D.

In addition to all the excellent posts so far, I've noticed, often when shooting prone I just jerk the trigger, (and shoot low). I think this comes from a combination of - a) Everything looks so "perfect," and B) There is a subtly hidden desire to "rush," even when shooting the slower stings for the Bianchi Cup.

I have to consciously shift my attention into my hands and feel them "very still" until the gun fires, once alignment is established. Usually, when my attention is directed in this way, I "notice" my fingers pressure on the trigger... meaning I'm not "trying" to pull the trigger.

be

Travis

After practice today, I can tell you your exactly correct.  I shot 10 shots from the prone position looking through the glasses.  9 were low A's and 1 low C.  I lowered the glasses and looked over them for 10 shots....right on the money!! 10 in the upper A.  I know it's not the most safe thing to do, but it worked.  I have some other glasses I need to give a try and see if they do the same.  Some of them have a different lense contour that may work out better.

Thanks for the info, I never gave that much thought either.

Matt T

Matt,

I just picked up a pair of the Rudy project glasses. I've been wearing them on the range and at work on patrol. I switched back to the wiley-x yesterday. (they were in the truck so I put them on) I noticed the difference in the lenes distortion. If you look down the ground appears to form a pothole. I never noticed it before. I'm sticking to the Rudy project glasses from now on.

Flex.

Exactly, or maybe your SVI. Just think what would have happened if that man was not wearing his safety glasses.

Now for the glasses thing. Get a pair made with an adjustable bridge. A lot of English snooker players who wear glasses have had them made so that they can be moved upwards when they look along the cue.

One man had a special pair of glasses made that had lens that went half way up his forehead. He looked real goofy, getting the winners cheque.

I think one of the guys down here had a set made for Bianchi shooting. I have my glasses pulled in hard by a head strap. It also stops them from moving around on my nose.

TT:

"...remove your glasses and focus on an object in the room (door handle for example). ..."

That's a good one, TT! Trying to make fun of me, huh? (For those that don't know me, after removing my glasses I wouldn't be able to focus on ANYthing in the room unless I hit it with my nose!)..

*Heads up* has made a big difference to my shooting, and the Rx glasses may be part of why. I'll try some variations with eye/glasses/head positioning next time when shooting prone, thanks for the hint!

--Detlef