Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrading to a XL650 for 9mm

I've already decided that I will be ordering a XL650 with case feeder "As it should be" this week as a dedicated 9mm press.

My upcoming loading requirements of 2K a month and wanting to minimize time at the bench due to my current schedule dictate it and Yes, Brian will be getting this sale.

I have one of my two Square deal B's and an relatively unused firearm SPF's to fully finance it.

My standard 9mm load is a PD 125 FMJ backed with 4.1 TG at 1.135 OAL.

I'm going to go with all Dillon dies, being I don't expect things to change much and want to pretty much set it and forget it.

What I should fill that extra station with? Dillon powder checker, RCBS Powder Checker Die, Hornady Powder Cop? Pro and cons that you folks with experience with each would be greatly appreciated.

A RCBS bullet feeder would be nice down the road but right sticking to what I already outlined.

Appreciate the help.

If you are shooting 9mm in a Glock I had to put a Lee factory crimp die in station 6.

I've had experience with FCD in my old LCT. Great product, however I really have come to find that provided they are set correctly standard Dillon dies will work just fine. The 3rd empty station is my main concern right now.

Having never used any, but just looking at the features, I would say RCBS Lock Out or Dillon. I would lean towards the RCBS because it does not require you to do/hear anything. I would be tempted to buy a RCBS from Midway and take advantage or their return polich if I didn't like it.

I use the Dillon Powder check system for all of my reloading needs. What I like about it is that you can visually see any variation of each load and make a decision on whether to dump it or continue. It gives you a easy to see reference. Works for me.

I bought the Dillon powder checker, thought I had to have it. For me it turned out to be more trouble than it's worth. I am not in a big hurry and look in each case anyway, so I took it off. Now I just have an extra space.

thanks,

George

a powder check on a 9mm case is kind of silly, IMO. powder is either clearly visable, or not there. leave the hole open for now,and save up for a bullet feeder.cheers.gif

Starting to think in this direction... the feedback I get on the Dillon one hasn't been as favorable as the RCBS powdercheck die.

Here's a webite with a pretty good comparison of all 3:

My link

I like the powder check die simply because it's a great back-up unit to my visual confirmation of the powder being in the case. I load 9mm on the 650 and opted for that extra insurance. While I would like to say that i'm careful and make sure to check every single load, every once in a while I find the monotony of loading several thousand rounds results in "spacing off" every now and then. So the powder check is more of a resassurance to me.

Plus, if I'm visually confirming the powder in the case I don't want to have to look at something else - like the Hornady powder cop.

BTW, the dillon dies work fine for a glock - no need for the lee FCD in my estimation but if you've already got a set of lee dies then use them.

I like a flashlight on my 650's station 3. When I first started loading major 9 with a powder checker, I would find powder on the shellplate. I took the powder checker off, modded a flashlight and now visually check the power level.

If you are shooting 9mm in a Glock I had to put a Lee factory crimp die in station 6.

You must have the super secret, black ops, special covert version of Dillon's 650. 6 stations?:surprise:

Pat

Super secret, black ops, special covert version of Dillon's 650. H*ll yes or just plain old tired when I answered!