Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 throwing powder out of cases

On a 550... If you have the shell plate tightened down too much, then it may not turn smoothly. Also, a little slide glide on the bearing surfaces smooths the action as well.

I assume the same applies to a 650

I use a 550 as well. From what I gathered reading the extensive thread on the 650 problems is that you can't really control the 650 auto index like you can the 550. When the 650 indexes it indexes.

You control the speed of the index with the handle.

Loading 9 major with Silhouette where the case is about 90% full will sling powder. The same characteristics that make a powder flow well through a powder measure will also sling it out of the case when indexed to fast.

SDB will do the same thing and the only solution that works for me is to slow down on the handle while the press is indexing.

Put your powder measure/drop in station 3. It will fit there and the fail safe rod will swing over. As the cartridge comes down and starts to rotate towards station 4 you can either put a bullet on top or put your index finger over the top to stop the powder sloshing out. As in MANY previous threads you can trim 1/2 -1 coil off the spring under the ball bearing which is located under the shell plate. Look in the "General Reloading" forum and "Reloading Faqs" where you will find "XL650 Tips and Tricks (post #2). No other way to control the slosh if you are filling a cartridge close to the top.

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

Follow the link that Sarge posted,the bearing under the pivot bolt allows you to tighten the bolt enough you don't have to cut your spring. Just don't tighten it too much or you will be calling Dillon for a new indexing cam,there seems to be a VERY fine line between smooth snap free movement and completely bound up. Good luck

Has anyone tried smoothing out the detent stop so that the edges are not so sharp; and thus making the ball/detent action less crisp? I am wondering if this would smooth up the action so that each stop is not as sharp to cause powder to pop out.

Has anyone tried smoothing out the detent stop so that the edges are not so sharp; and thus making the ball/detent action less crisp? I am wondering if this would smooth up the action so that each stop is not as sharp to cause powder to pop out.

Since I figured out the bearing mod that was referenced above, and I load 9Major on my 650, I simply have no more powder fling. It is a fine line on the tightness of the center bolt, but once setup it works great.

I tried adding a Teflon sheet to the bottom of the shell plate to further smooth things out, at that time I worked on the index holes, bottom line, to little index detent and it wouldn't reliably index, I found that I would crush a case once in a while. So I just run the bearing mod on all my 650's...

NOTE, there is a ebay auction usually for the bearings, but they want like $10-$15 bucks for it... the parts are approx $5 from mcmaster carr and they ship same day.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Check the spring tension on the ball under the shell plate. A weaker spring will allow the shell plate to rotate more freely without the quick snap reaction. Just an idea...$00.02

Great advice. Thats not just an idea. Its the SOLUTION.

I had the same exact problem and simply called Dillon. The nice genteman told me exactly what to do and in about 3 minutes I had the problem solved.

The solution is very simple. Cut exactly 1 turn off the spring that works the ball against the detent. Simple, successful. Total time invested about 10 minutes with the phone call and the work.

Not that you all aren't nice and smart but you paid for that excellent customer service, use it.

Don

Edited by dcmdon

I clipped a coil off the spring as well but it didn't cure it; had to go with the bearing kid from mcmaster carr. works great now. i would start with the spring first and see if it works for you before ordering anything...